Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thom and American Dream won't be at Reno this year.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thom and American Dream won't be at Reno this year.....

Thom just announced that they won't be racing this year.

"The P-40 “American Dream” team had intended on attending the event in September 2019 and we were making preparations to do so as a silver-field entry. However, there’s been a drastic change in the insurance requirements since we fielded an Unlimited racer, just a few years ago. Not only do we have a 5,000 mile round trip with the aircraft, crew and ground support, we now would have to contend with an insurance premium that would be in excess of $1,000 per race lap during the event. We simply cannot justify the expense for a back-of-the-field racer and will remain in the southeast with the aircraft in September. We regret this turn of events and hope to participate at a later date. In the meantime, be sure to attend and enjoy the races!"

This really sucks...
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Thom and American Dream won't be at Reno this year.....

Is that really true that the insurance is $1,00. per race lap? If true this is going to kill the Museum/Stock Warbirds from rounding the pylons. More info needed.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
      Is that really true that the insurance is $1,00. per race lap? If true this is going to kill the Museum/Stock Warbirds from rounding the pylons. More info needed.
      There was a BIG hike in race insurance costs this year. I don't know exact numbers for the unlimiteds, but based on increases I have heard for other classes, $1K per race lap (aprox. 26k total) is probably pretty close. The big question is what prompted the increase?

Comment

I would also like to know if there is a commensurate increase in the insurance costs for the air show performers!?!

This just strikes me as a punitive measure directed at the racers....

Where would such a excessive requirement have originated?

Comment

My race insurance went up on the Pitts, also. I was told that there is now only ONE underwriter writing coverage for air racing, and that is U.S. Specialties. I guess when you're the only game in town, you can write your own ticket...up until the point where nobody purchases it (and therefore doesn't race) anymore.

Sam Swift
          Biplane #3
          Biplane Race #3

Comment

Stop beating a live horse. Damn I think it would be safe to say if they can't end it one way...

Comment

Am I totally misinformed in thinking that Ladd Gardner was the main air race insurer? They love air racing. If what Sam is saying is true, did they get kicked off? That would make sense I guess...
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                Am I totally misinformed in thinking that Ladd Gardner was the main air race insurer? They love air racing. If what Sam is saying is true, did they get kicked off? That would make sense I guess...
                Ladd is a broker, not the underwriter.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Craig View Post
                  I would also like to know if there is a commensurate increase in the insurance costs for the air show performers!?!

This just strikes me as a punitive measure directed at the racers....

Where would such a excessive requirement have originated?
                  Putting video of a nearly fatal accident in your top class on national TV probably doesn't help...

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    Ladd is a broker, not the underwriter.
                    Thanks for the correction
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                      Putting video of a nearly fatal accident in your top class on national TV probably doesn't help...
                      And, did they put a higher price on Thom because of it? Two race planes, two hulks.
                      Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 06-28-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Sadly, high insurance costs are a significant factor in the decision the "Full Noise" team made to stay in New Zealand this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Coug86 View Post
                          Sadly, high insurance costs are a significant factor in the decision the "Full Noise" team made to stay in New Zealand this fall.
                          I'm not sure how true that is. It was shipping the plane halfway around the world twice that really put the brakes on racing again. They knew they weren't going to be back this year, last year because of the shipping costs. I think Graeme said it was about $80K to ship the plane. That was just shipping. I think if they had a shipping sponsor they would be back every year, but so far they haven't found anyone.

Will

Comment

That is a great clarification, Will. Thanks.

When I got a ride in Full Noise this April, the owner mentioned two significant costs affecting the decision to not come to Reno this year - shipping and insurance. (There may be other factors, he did not say.) He said they cannot suspend their NZ insurance while the plane is in the US, and the shortest duration policy they can get in the US to cover their participation at Reno is 6 months.

My point in posting was simply to note that insurance (among many other costs, I'm sure) is a factor for more than one team. Perhaps many.

Comment

Well that is a bummer. I have heard some teams make out pretty good between sponsorship and t-shirt sales. Nothing that makes money, more along the lines of breaking even. Hopefully they can put something together for next year.
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X