Passings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passings

Along with Tom Aberle passing last week, past President of the Warbirds of America as well as President of the Unlimited Class Bill Harrison passed away yesterday, and former Formula 1 racer (and Douglas test pilot) Bob Drew passed this morning.

Bad things happen in threes....let's hope this satisfies that for a while.

Re: Passings

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    Along with Tom Aberle passing last week, past President of the Warbirds of America as well as President of the Unlimited Class Bill Harrison passed away yesterday, and former Formula 1 racer (and Douglas test pilot) Bob Drew passed this morning.

Somewhat aside from Air Racing, but of course Bob Friend was in this 'aviation' mix as well. Rest in peace to some of the finest of their time!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

As I get older (68 next month) the loss of old friends has become a much more common thing, we just lost a close friend yesterday! In my mind, I'm still in my 40's or probably more like my 20's! The reality for a lot of us is that we won't see many days beyond 85yrs.. God, the reality strikes when I think back and remember how long ago 17 years was, and now I'm looking at the next 17 as, likely, my last!

Mortality is part of life.. Trust me, I will struggle to wrap my mind around this until the day I take my last breath.

GOD SPEED AND BLUE SKIES TO ALL WHO HAVE PASSED RECENTLY!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

I had the pleasure of working with Bob as a Docent at the Seattle Musuem of Flight for many years. As a young Docent I was fortunate to have had some incredible mentors at MoF, and Bob was most certainly among that group. I'd show up at 0900 for my Saturday shift (1000-1400) solely to sit around the table in the Docent Lounge, drink coffee, eat doughnuts and listen...just listen...as Bob and several other more “senior” Docents regaled with story after story about their aviation exploits, dating back to WWII, Korea, Cold War, NASA, and on and on (one gentleman worked with Werner von Braun on the Mercury Program at the Cape). It was the most incredible education imaginable...more than any resource materials could possibly impart. I left Seattle four years ago for San Diego and without question one the things I miss most is that experience. Bob was always engaging and willing to share his wisdom while at the same time, truly interested in what I was doing, how I was doing and where I was going. He challenged me as a Docent to never stop learning...never.

And to Wayne's point, couldn't agree more. Having just retired from the corporate legal world after 25+ years I find that reality and growing old are harsh mistresses who give no quarter. Just turned 65 in late May, signed up for Medicare and Social Security and when the card showed up in the mail, I refused to open it for several days...in a futile attempt at staving off the inevitable. And as if right on queue, I’ve had to use that Medicare card already…three times!

Wayne, I am with you on the mental approach. I continue to look at things through the lens of my younger days…I think it’s healthy and keeps you sharp…or sharper anyway. Suppose that’s part of the reason I gravitated to working air shows. It challenges me in so many ways, puts me in the company of A-type personalities who in most all cases are younger than I am, and pushes me to keep learning.
        Thank you, Bob. I hope I can continue to live by that creed until I run out of runway…God Speed to All.
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

At 87 I still remember sleeping in the cockpit of Jimmy De Santo's P38 (While guarding it) at the 1946 Cleveland Air Races. Lots of memories since then & with the good Lord willing I'll be Volunteering this year again @ Reno with NAG/RARA. Blue Skies to all in aviation that have past on since the 1946 Air Races.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Bob, there are many exceptions to my 85 and done theory! You my friend are one of them! Some people need to live to 100 and beyond, hopefully, you are one of them! You are a gift to this sport! Who else among us has those memories...

I will always remember a few hours spent under the wing of, I believe it was Danny Martin's airplane... down at Vegas with Curt Brown, we were "guarding" the airplane from the crowd... what an experience getting to be "chummy" with an actual Astronaut! Off topic as hell here but I'll tell you, Mr. Curt Brown is one hell of a guy!!!!!!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
            X