Red Bull Air Race ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull Air Race ending

The current-final season will be cut short and will not be renewed in 2020. Very sad, as this was a great way to pass the time waiting for Reno.

"young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Re: Red Bull Air Race ending

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
    The current-final season will be cut short and will not be renewed in 2020. Very sad, as this was a great way to pass the time waiting for Reno.

https://airrace.redbull.com/en/news/...nd-2019-season
    I'm a HUGE fan of everything aviation, but Red Bull was one thing I just didn't enjoy. I imagine I'm not the only one that didn't see it as real air racing like Reno is. That isn't taking anything away from the pilots as they are all incredible, but I was never excited to watch it. I do think it may have had somewhat of a positive impact on aviation, but definitely not on Reno. "Oh you mean like Red Bull?" I think it would be awesome for the international aviation competition gap to be filled by F1, and even Sport although a little more difficult. Reno will always be the ultimate air race, but more and more international events to help stir up some excitement for September would be pretty cool!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I'm with you, watched it couple times and, eh.

It was not air racing, it's Gymkhana, acrobat trials, or whatever, but not air racing.

Maybe they saw the 2018 Reno gold sport race on NBC and realized, now that is real air racing.

So heck, the real Reno Air Racing is still here and alive, what a surprise

Maybe we'll see a plane or two with RB sponsorship?

Last edited by Desertdawg; 05-29-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I could never bring myself to watch it or drink their overpriced beverage after they stole the idea for the air race thing from Sam Bousfield!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Too bad Red Bull didn't put their efforts into a class of air racing like F1 or Sport Class. Instead they tried to reinvent or redefine the term "Air Racing".

Comment

Always disappointed when an aviation event calls it quits. Overall, not the best thing for aviation in general. While I wasn't a huge fan (though I did watch a few races and in 2017 worked Sun n' Fun when Chambliss and MG performed a "mock" race), I have to say it's not a good thing.

That said, perhaps it will foster increased interest in Reno to some degree. We can always hope...More Butts...More Bucks!
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

While I do care about how things like these affect aviation as a whole, I have my doubts that the end of RBAR will do anything at all to "hurt" aviation. Sure it's somewhat sad we lost an aviation event that generated some fans (apparently not too many), but at the end of the day what I care about is how this affects Reno. I don't see RBAR being done having any negative consequences on Reno, and as some have said it might be a good thing after all for "us".
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I think the problem started when they lost their TV coverage. The races were nothing more than an advertisement for the Red Bull brand. Along with declining numbers of people showing up for the races live, they weren't getting enough views to make it a worthwhile marketing avenue.

Comment

I wonder if the Air Races could bring Red Bull on as a sponsor now that they don't have a competing event. Not to mention the potential for getting additional racers from the Red Bull collection.
                  Last edited by Callaghan; 05-30-2019, 06:21 AM.

Comment

True all the Edges would technically qualify for sport class. Not sure they would be fast enough to make the field, but with all of them being so similar it might be a close "pseudo-spec" race.

Also Red Bull does have a corsair and the former "White Lightning". It might be neat if the Flying Bulls came to Reno as an airshow event like the Texas Flying Legends did a couple years ago.
                    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Callaghan View Post
                      I wonder if the Air Races could bring Red Bull on as a sponsor now that they don't have a competing event. Not to mention the potential for getting additional racers from the Red Bull collection.
                      Would be pretty cool, if anything it would be nice for them to sponsor a class. Unlimiteds would be cool if they had a plane or two of theirs race, Sport seems like the more reasonable choice. Wouldn't spend all their funds putting on the event, but would still get recognized as a sponsor. Might just be too small for them to do that. I don't believe RARA and Red Bull really have a relationship anyway
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Callaghan View Post

A voice of logic and reason!!

Red Bull has done more for motor sports than any company in the history of man.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                          I think the problem started when they lost their TV coverage. The races were nothing more than an advertisement for the Red Bull brand. Along with declining numbers of people showing up for the races live, they weren't getting enough views to make it a worthwhile marketing avenue.

Everything Red Bull does is an advertisement for the Red Bull name. They dont make that drink. They are a marketing company.

Comment

I understand the 'gee, wouldn't it be great...' dreaming, but it seems like a lot of people out there don't understand how Red Bull and their 'sponsorship/marketing' work. As one who spent a couple years courting them on the hydroplane side of the world for sponsorship, they are not even close, not the least bit, no how interested in dumping money into niche sports that don't fit 'their' marketing strategy.

They are ONLY interested in creating and branding their own 'extreme' sports, not entering into existing markets. It is more cost effective for them to hold wacky events all over the world that involve a younger generation--that is more likely to buy their product.

Don't use their involvement in Formula 1 as a blueprint--go back and do some research on WHY the owner of Red Bull (Dietrich Mateschitz) bought the team (for a single U.S. dollar) and how they use it to market their product through the Red Bull and Toro Rosso teams. They will never be a part of motorsports sponsorships in the United States...not NASCAR, not IndyCar, not NHRA, no class of boat racing, let alone an insignificant (as far as they are concerned) event like the Reno Air Races. It just won't happen. Dreaming is all it will ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                              Always disappointed when an aviation event calls it quits. Overall, not the best thing for aviation in general. While I wasn't a huge fan (though I did watch a few races and in 2017 worked Sun n' Fun when Chambliss and MG performed a "mock" race), I have to say it's not a good thing.

That said, perhaps it will foster increased interest in Reno to some degree. We can always hope...More Butts...More Bucks!
                              You might see More Butts...More Bucks,but you won't see More Purse,you can bet on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X