Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Thomas, a paint question for you and whoever else may have some input, just directing it at you since you were a part of Race 30's new paint scheme.

So the initial reason for this question is because from the looks of it, Race 3 will not be painted for this year.

That got me wondering the pros/cons of this.

The only pro I can think of for lack of paint is weight savings, do you know the paint weight of 30?

Cons are obviously the reasons that you would paint a plane, rougher surface with more disruption over the fuselage, and for Reno specifically the disruption over the fuselage when you add sponsor vinyls on top of that. 30's sponsors are all flush with the top coat, correct? Overall I think 30 is the best way to do it, but was curious if the weight savings may help negate some of the airflow disruptions over a non-painted aircraft, if there even are any.

Thx
    My guess would be "ran out of time to paint it and are concentrating on more important things"

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    My guess would be "ran out of time to paint it and are concentrating on more important things"
    I would agree
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

I had talked with Sean a little about paintschemes earlier in the year. It was definitely in the plan, but as has already been pointed out, everyone is running out of time.

As for pros and cons, we are only pulling 3-4 Gs on the course (despite what the announcers say). And what we found with the clipped wingtips (this is discussed in more detail in the write up is the induced drag from higher wing loading was far outweighed by the reduced drag from a smaller frontal area. Adding paint is kind of the same thing. With paint you add weight, increase wing loading, reduce drag. Drag is going to win out when you add up all the pros and cons.

Not knowing much on all the other engine and cooling systems, I expect Sean to be flying with "Mojo" this year. The prop is designed for 400mph. ie if you aren't going 400mph, then you won't getting all the benefits of the sweep, twist, and smaller diameter. And if you aren't at 400 the smaller diameter is more of a hindrance.
    "young" Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    I had talked with Sean a little about paintschemes earlier in the year. It was definitely in the plan, but as has already been pointed out, everyone is running out of time.

As for pros and cons, we are only pulling 3-4 Gs on the course (despite what the announcers say). And what we found with the clipped wingtips (this is discussed in more detail in the write up is the induced drag from higher wing loading was far outweighed by the reduced drag from a smaller frontal area. Adding paint is kind of the same thing. With paint you add weight, increase wing loading, reduce drag. Drag is going to win out when you add up all the pros and cons.

Not knowing much on all the other engine and cooling systems, I expect Sean to be flying with "Mojo" this year. The prop is designed for 400mph. ie if you aren't going 400mph, then you won't getting all the benefits of the sweep, twist, and smaller diameter. And if you aren't at 400 the smaller diameter is more of a hindrance.
    Great info, thank you. Looking forward to seeing how Sean performs this year.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

I thought Jason might've commented here already, but Race 67 just got it's Exotic Engines race-prepped Falconer, and a prop that looks to be the same one Blue II uses. Curious to know if the new engine is how John's was prepared for 2018. Good stuff!!!
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

You can tell they wet sanded the strips of paint on the prop for #67. Trying to reduce propeller drag.

https://scontent.forf1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...42&oe=5E09C017

Havoc has the prop mounted
    "young" Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    You can tell they wet sanded the strips of paint on the prop for #67. Trying to reduce propeller drag.

https://scontent.forf1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...42&oe=5E09C017

Havoc has the prop mounted
    I noticed that too, Rare Bear-esque
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Dave Sterling not listed?

Dave, any reason?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Dave Sterling not listed?

Dave, any reason?
    When I was at Oshkosh last month I had a mild heart attack. Big surprise considering I am in good shape, not overweight and I don't drink or smoke. Genetics…. A nice way to screw up your vacation.
    I am home recovering and things are going well. I am grounded for a mandatory six months. I will be back racing next year! It's just too much fun…

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Race 8 View Post
    When I was at Oshkosh last month I had a mild heart attack. Big surprise considering I am in good shape, not overweight and I don't drink or smoke. Genetics…. A nice way to screw up your vacation.
    I am home recovering and things are going well. I am grounded for a mandatory six months. I will be back racing next year! It's just too much fun…

Dave
    I'm so sorry, Dave! Wow

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery! Always love seeing your plane at Reno, here's to 2020 my friend!
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19