Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

"Going 400 is hard"
    Those are Andy's exact words last year after test flying on Wednesday. Same power settings as on Sunday, but weather conditions were different and we were coming in at a 397mph "laptime".

John Parker's fastest qualifying time was 397. And that's with the old timing so it's really 389mph. So any Thunder Mustang #67 or #151 (assuming the MT propeller helps) that can turn a 400 lap will be a very impressive improvement.

Is Karl actually running that new liquid cooled engine this year? There was the announcement but no word since on how that's actually going. Not a lot of time left either way. Also still has the drag from the wingtips and flap hinges.

Kevin did a 395 heat race back in Super Sport. Different course and timing, so can't really compare apples and oranges, but definitely potential. Going to be one of those wait and see cases.
    "young" Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    This is a safe bet, definitely Andy and Jeff, and Relentless can if there aren't any bugs. I would say Grove and Havoc have about the same chance of making 400, both very capable planes, but the learning curve (moreso Grove because that engine). Then there's the next tier of racers Lucky Too, Miss Karen II, Race 8, and Race 24 all that are "capable", but being faster than Andy and Jeff is a HUGE task. Below that line is Mojo which will probably never beat Jeff, and Race 28 which has a loooong way to go from last year's performance.

Thunder Mustangs I haven't heard anything about. Peter Balmer's is supposed to be the fast one, maybe some similar mods to Blue II? 400 though...? Highly unlikely. I imagine if they put the 5 blade on Clas Thunder it's more or less just to look cool.
    Vicky's fast airplane (#6?) could possibly get to that 400 mark if they show up.

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    "Going 400 is hard"
    Those are Andy's exact words last year after test flying on Wednesday. Same power settings as on Sunday, but weather conditions were different and we were coming in at a 397mph "laptime".

John Parker's fastest qualifying time was 397. And that's with the old timing so it's really 389mph. So any Thunder Mustang #67 or #151 (assuming the MT propeller helps) that can turn a 400 lap will be a very impressive improvement.

Is Karl actually running that new liquid cooled engine this year? There was the announcement but no word since on how that's actually going. Not a lot of time left either way. Also still has the drag from the wingtips and flap hinges.

Kevin did a 395 heat race back in Super Sport. Different course and timing, so can't really compare apples and oranges, but definitely potential. Going to be one of those wait and see cases.
    Definitely a wait and see for most of the planes there... Also curious to see how Jeff runs with a new engine. That plane could be blisteringly fast all cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    Vicky's fast airplane (#6?) could possibly get to that 400 mark if they show up.
    I love Vicky and that plane so I'm hoping that happens. I think you said something about clipping the wings, that would be awesome, I would think a few more mods would go along with that drag reduction mentality.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Clas Thunder up with the 5 blade today
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Havoc just received its shiny new McCauley Blackworks propeller
    "young" Thomas

Havoc just received its shiny new McCauley Blackworks propeller
    Without seeing it out of the box yet, is it a 1-off custom specifically for Havoc, like Andy's is specific for One Moment?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Same propeller as Race#30. Will make for an interesting (and quieter) sound with the turbos.
    "young" Thomas

Same propeller as Race#30. Will make for an interesting (and quieter) sound with the turbos.
    Saw and heard Havoc flying with the older 4 blade prop; she sounded great and appeared to be very fast. They're expecting the new 3 blade prop to be faster. IF that engine can hold together, I expect quick times out of Race #3.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyKidChris View Post
    Saw and heard Havoc flying with the older 4 blade prop; she sounded great and appeared to be very fast. They're expecting the new 3 blade prop to be faster. IF that engine can hold together, I expect quick times out of Race #3.
    Itís definitely going to be a lot faster with that new prop. I donít think the 4 blade has ever really proven valuable on the Legacy, Glasair II, or NXT. But a fine tuned 3 blade from McCauley, MT, Hartzell, or now Whirlwind, thatís a winning combo!

Side note Iíve heard Miss Karen II might be another underdog this year. New much more reliable engine setup and some other tweaks. That plane is pretty fast as is. Curious if Chia Andy has been part of their race prep.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Thomas, a paint question for you and whoever else may have some input, just directing it at you since you were a part of Race 30's new paint scheme.

So the initial reason for this question is because from the looks of it, Race 3 will not be painted for this year.

That got me wondering the pros/cons of this.

The only pro I can think of for lack of paint is weight savings, do you know the paint weight of 30?

Cons are obviously the reasons that you would paint a plane, rougher surface with more disruption over the fuselage, and for Reno specifically the disruption over the fuselage when you add sponsor vinyls on top of that. 30's sponsors are all flush with the top coat, correct? Overall I think 30 is the best way to do it, but was curious if the weight savings may help negate some of the airflow disruptions over a non-painted aircraft, if there even are any.

Thx
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19