Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 115

Thread: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,872

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyKidChris View Post
    She's a beast, sure to cause Havoc.
    Looking forward to seeing what Sean and the team can do with that airplane. The first year gremlins are hard to avoid though.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what Sean and the team can do with that airplane. The first year gremlins are hard to avoid though.
    This is definitely true in Sport class. Everything can seem perfect on paper, but it takes time to get it done. Andy is the poster child for making it happen.

    I'm hoping the first year gremlins are out of the way for Jim Rust's Glasair and Karl Grove's Legacy. Both of those planes have some serious potential to make a name for themselves.

    But betting wisely, my safe guess is on Jeff and Andy to be up front, with Relentless up there too. All 3 of those have proven themselves as worthy 400mph+ planes. I do think Karl's Legacy could be an underdog if the kinks are worked out.

    I would love to see the other Legacy's being trophy competitive (6, 8, 28, 33, 44, 69), but they just don't have the refinement that it's going to take to keep up with One Moment, and I'm 99% sure some of those I just listed will not be there.

    The entry list will shed some light onto what Sport Gold will look like. It would be pretty awesome to not have a Thunder Mustang in Gold come Sunday (meaning we have 9 planes faster than them!!!)
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,872

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    I think Karl is going to have the steepest learning curve of all. No one else has ever tried to run a water cooled 540.

  4. #44

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    This is definitely true in Sport class. Everything can seem perfect on paper, but it takes time to get it done. Andy is the poster child for making it happen.
    I dunno about poster child. It took 6 years of constant development. I think Jeff Lavelle raced for 5 years before he won, and then you have the Nemesis project which had all the development challenges of a clean sheet design, and won in 4 years (I think?). If Karl were running the same engine this year and had made marked improvement with the cooling issues, then maybe, but with a brand new engine, I would expect another development year.

    For Relentless the single seat mod is cool and Kevin said it handles better (lighter and simpler systems and a more forward CG). I don't see that alone making much speed though. Human factors and handling are important, but in terms of speed it is mostly weight reduction. Maybe there are future plans to reduce drag by cutting down the turtle deck and canopy (another high labor and more importantly structural mod), but for this year most speed gains will be from going back to the original power plant.

    I'm very excited about Havoc for a couple reasons that I've not been cleared to disclose.

    Jeff Benzing had mentioned last year that #6 might have its wingtips clipped.

    Jim Rust's Glassair has exhaust augmenters now, in trying to get some improved cooling, and I think he will pass Bob Mills in "Mojo" this year because #24 is a cleaner airframe: no exposed flap hinges, the more acute windscreen, and inner gear doors (assuming they stay closed).

    Actually I think inner gear doors on a glassair is quite the project, since the stock doors create a bump on the bottom of the wing with the bottom couple inches of the tire exposed. So off the bat you have more frontal area and you got air messing around with the exposed tire. Jeff solved it by customizing the gear and/or wheel well to get the doors to lie flush. I believe Jim's just created a smooth but curved cover like a P-51 gear. But that curve is like an airfoil and creates a low pressure area that is trying to suck the door open. And then as the air flows past the door you can create another low pressure area on the back side of the door which is another form of drag pulling the airplane backwards.
    Last edited by CubersWrist; 07-10-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    "young" Thomas

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    I dunno about poster child. It took 6 years of constant development. I think Jeff Lavelle raced for 5 years before he won, and then you have the Nemesis project which had all the development challenges of a clean sheet design, and won in 4 years (I think?). If Karl were running the same engine this year and had made marked improvement with the cooling issues, then maybe, but with a brand new engine, I would expect another development year.

    For Relentless the single seat mod is cool and Kevin said it handles better (lighter and simpler systems and a more forward CG). I don't see that alone making much speed though. Human factors and handling are important, but in terms of speed it is mostly weight reduction. Maybe there are future plans to reduce drag by cutting down the turtle deck and canopy (another high labor and more importantly structural mod), but for this year most speed gains will be from going back to the original power plant.

    I'm very excited about Havoc for a couple reasons that I've not been cleared to disclose.

    Jeff Benzing had mentioned last year that #6 might have its wingtips clipped.

    Jim Rust's Glassair has exhaust augmenters now, in trying to get some improved cooling, and I think he will pass Bob Mills in "Mojo" this year because #24 is a cleaner airframe: no exposed flap hinges, the more acute windscreen, and inner gear doors (assuming they stay closed).

    Actually I think inner gear doors on a glassair is quite the project, since the stock doors create a bump on the bottom of the wing with the bottom couple inches of the tire exposed. So off the bat you have more frontal area and you got air messing around with the exposed tire. Jeff solved it by customizing the gear and/or wheel well to get the doors to lie flush. I believe Jim's just created a smooth but curved cover like a P-51 gear. But that curve is like an airfoil and creates a low pressure area that is trying to suck the door open. And then as the air flows past the door you can create another low pressure area on the back side of the door which is another form of drag pulling the airplane backwards.
    Thanks for the insider info Thomas, love the contributions. In regards to Andy being the poster child, I do agree with what you are saying. To me it came up as the most recent success story, especially since dethroning Jeff by actually beating him is one of biggest accomplishments in Sport Class so far. To me, Sport has more or less been "normalized" for lack of a better term over the past 7-8 years. No more experimenting with Super Sport, the Gold class is becoming a more consistent group of racers with reliable engines, the class just seems more refined. Sport was pretty messy back in 2009 and 2010 with the Super Sport attempt, blown engines everywhere, etc. 2012 until now the class has started to balance. The planes to beat are established, and new additions here and there keep it exciting. Andy being a rookie in 2013 and taking small steps each year to improve the plane and the team until a 2018 win is what I was going for with "poster child".
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  6. #46

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    No worries I get what you were saying. It will be exciting to see some of the newer airplanes as they develop over the next couple years.
    "young" Thomas

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    No worries I get what you were saying. It will be exciting to see some of the newer airplanes as they develop over the next couple years.
    I agree! Very exciting stuff to come in the future. I hope the average fan understands that Sport Class planes could be competing in Unlimited and nobody would bat an eye. Just because they're called "Sport" it's not as cool as Unlimiteds. As Wayne said a few months ago, Sport has that sound, speed, and the drama of the Unlimiteds, but it's just "not the same". They also have very similar mods, and the Unlimited mods were always one of the fun things to track (clipping wings, experimental propellers, ADI/other cooling methods, which Sport ALL DO TOO!) Whatever, I for one will be enjoying the hell out of Sport as usual
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 07-10-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    The Sport class, while it doesnít have the legendary status of the Unlimiteds, is everything the Unlimiteds used to be when there was a gold field full of hot rods. The upper crust of Sport is everything a gold class should or can be. I absolutely love it. This thread makes it even more awesome. Thanks to all you contributors. You guys rock.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Texas, Oregon
    Posts
    632

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Thatís speaking my language, is it gonna be painted? (If it hasnít already been)
    Yes, my understanding is that she was to be painted, but I don't have the scheduled date or confirmation.

  10. #50

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    How bout the "Unlimited Sport Class"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •