Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
    Not to get too "in the weeds", but the confusing part is everyone seems to have a slightly different definition of parade. You and I seem to have about the same definition somewhere along the lines of:"No passing or threat of passing"

But then you can also add in qualifiers like how hard are they pushing etc etc and it all drifts into the realm of legalese. *blegh!*

anyways back to talking about airplanes and racing
    Agreed there is a different take on "parade"; in Sport Gold just because Andy had a secured lead didn't automatically turn it into anything close to a parade IMO. Andy was running at 400+, anything pops and Jeff is back in the running. And Jeff melted down trying to keep up, far from a parade even after he started to drop back! Silver class P-51's and the P-63 running a few seconds apart 300-330mph and keeping that the whole race is what I'm assuming "parade" means (this was similar to what the Chino demo was). I was even on the edge of my seat watching Bunny pass some of the field on Sunday, and then on the edge of my seat again watching Miss A pick off Sawbones, which hadn't been done that weekend so far. Sure the speeds are slower in Unlimited gold, but any sort of passing and competitive flying voids the parade idea to me.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Hmmmm...
      Obviously, "parade" was a strong and improper analogy!

No doubt, it takes a concerted effort even to field an unlimited plane and thanks to some dedicated YouTubers the rest of us are privileged to see individual efforts to shave lap time. I do appreciate the commitment, and agree there's no substitute for the sound of maxed out race engines.

But, anyway, several of you made the point I was attempting much better than I did, so thanks.

Comment

It used to be normal to start preparing for the next Reno the day after the last Reno. If the airplane was able to fly home it made it much easier. I haven't been in the pits for a long time, maybe things are easier now.

Comment

We took a little time off this past year. But we had been working almost non-stop for two-three years.

One thing that has been fun this year is the increased level of trash talk. Kevin's all excited about how he is going to go fast[er] this year. I'm excited because that should mean between him and Jeff the race for second should be fun to watch!

Also I don't know how widely publicized the Rocketeer award is, but it goes to the pilot who improves their qualifying speed the most from the previous year. That award should be tight between Sean and Vicky since they will both have gold level planes this year compared to their silver airplanes last year.
          Last edited by CubersWrist; 07-23-2019, 04:47 AM.
          "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Also I don't know how widely publicized the Rocketeer award is, but it goes to the pilot who improves their qualifying speed the most from the previous year. That award should be tight between Sean and Vicky since they will both have gold level planes this year compared to their silver airplanes last year.
            Will this count since Vicky goes back and forth between planes? Seems like it should be most improved qualifying speed in the same plane...

And I thought I would add to the thread that with the exception of Vicky's Race #6 and Race #37 who I didn't expect would be coming anyway, everyone listed on the first post is on the entry list currently. Was surprised that Vicky wasn't on that list yet hearing you and Andy both say she is attending. Hopefully an oversight for the time being as I know there were some entries that didn't get added to Sport and Unlimited until the week of last year.

Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

As of last year switching planes was an accepted way to win the award, though the class has talked about changing that.

Last year the Rocketeer order was, George Catalano (swapped from his 360 "Bad Dingo" to his Legacy "Bigger Dingo"), Sean Vanhattan (flew a faster legacy than the previous year), and we were third. So we were the most improved for the same aircraft, but we did have a "meh" qualifying run two years ago.

We've been close several years, but Vicky got it in 2017 when #6 first raced, and Kevin got it in 2016 because of 2015.
              "young" Thomas

Comment

As of last year switching planes was an accepted way to win the award, though the class has talked about changing that.

Last year the Rocketeer order was, George Catalano (swapped from his 360 "Bad Dingo" to his Legacy "Bigger Dingo"), Sean Vanhattan (flew a faster legacy than the previous year), and we were third. So we were the most improved for the same aircraft, but we did have a "meh" qualifying run two years ago.

We've been close several years, but Vicky got it in 2017 when #6 first raced, and Kevin got it in 2016 because of 2015.
                Got it, I guess that's fair then if it's been done that way so far.
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

So Kevin is betting on 5 planes being over 400, I think it’ll be more than that, but his list makes me curious. Himself, Andy, Jeff, Grove, and Peter Balmer..? Did I miss something with the Thunder Mustang..?
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                    So Kevin is betting on 5 planes being over 400, I think it’ll be more than that, but his list makes me curious. Himself, Andy, Jeff, Grove, and Peter Balmer..? Did I miss something with the Thunder Mustang..?
                    Andy and Jeff are the only two "for sure" that I see going over 400. Especially in race trim. Kevin is till on the learning curve with yet another all new engine package, but could get there if everything works exactly to plan. Karl is still on the steepest part of the learning cure after last year's failures. I see maybe 350 averages from him. In the gold for sure, unless it is broken. Balmer? Unless they have done some major new aerodynamic work, or have re-invented the Falconer, I just don't see it. No one has been able to run enough power in a Thunder Mustang without major engine carnage.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                      Andy and Jeff are the only two "for sure" that I see going over 400. Especially in race trim. Kevin is till on the learning curve with yet another all new engine package, but could get there if everything works exactly to plan. Karl is still on the steepest part of the learning cure after last year's failures. I see maybe 350 averages from him. In the gold for sure, unless it is broken. Balmer? Unless they have done some major new aerodynamic work, or have re-invented the Falconer, I just don't see it. No one has been able to run enough power in a Thunder Mustang without major engine carnage.
                      This is a safe bet, definitely Andy and Jeff, and Relentless can if there aren't any bugs. I would say Grove and Havoc have about the same chance of making 400, both very capable planes, but the learning curve (moreso Grove because that engine). Then there's the next tier of racers Lucky Too, Miss Karen II, Race 8, and Race 24 all that are "capable", but being faster than Andy and Jeff is a HUGE task. Below that line is Mojo which will probably never beat Jeff, and Race 28 which has a loooong way to go from last year's performance.

Thunder Mustangs I haven't heard anything about. Peter Balmer's is supposed to be the fast one, maybe some similar mods to Blue II? 400 though...? Highly unlikely. I imagine if they put the 5 blade on Clas Thunder it's more or less just to look cool.
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

"Going 400 is hard"
                        Those are Andy's exact words last year after test flying on Wednesday. Same power settings as on Sunday, but weather conditions were different and we were coming in at a 397mph "laptime".

John Parker's fastest qualifying time was 397. And that's with the old timing so it's really 389mph. So any Thunder Mustang #67 or #151 (assuming the MT propeller helps) that can turn a 400 lap will be a very impressive improvement.

Is Karl actually running that new liquid cooled engine this year? There was the announcement but no word since on how that's actually going. Not a lot of time left either way. Also still has the drag from the wingtips and flap hinges.

Kevin did a 395 heat race back in Super Sport. Different course and timing, so can't really compare apples and oranges, but definitely potential. Going to be one of those wait and see cases.
                        "young" Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                          This is a safe bet, definitely Andy and Jeff, and Relentless can if there aren't any bugs. I would say Grove and Havoc have about the same chance of making 400, both very capable planes, but the learning curve (moreso Grove because that engine). Then there's the next tier of racers Lucky Too, Miss Karen II, Race 8, and Race 24 all that are "capable", but being faster than Andy and Jeff is a HUGE task. Below that line is Mojo which will probably never beat Jeff, and Race 28 which has a loooong way to go from last year's performance.

Thunder Mustangs I haven't heard anything about. Peter Balmer's is supposed to be the fast one, maybe some similar mods to Blue II? 400 though...? Highly unlikely. I imagine if they put the 5 blade on Clas Thunder it's more or less just to look cool.
                          Vicky's fast airplane (#6?) could possibly get to that 400 mark if they show up.

Comment

"Going 400 is hard"
                            Those are Andy's exact words last year after test flying on Wednesday. Same power settings as on Sunday, but weather conditions were different and we were coming in at a 397mph "laptime".

John Parker's fastest qualifying time was 397. And that's with the old timing so it's really 389mph. So any Thunder Mustang #67 or #151 (assuming the MT propeller helps) that can turn a 400 lap will be a very impressive improvement.

Is Karl actually running that new liquid cooled engine this year? There was the announcement but no word since on how that's actually going. Not a lot of time left either way. Also still has the drag from the wingtips and flap hinges.

Kevin did a 395 heat race back in Super Sport. Different course and timing, so can't really compare apples and oranges, but definitely potential. Going to be one of those wait and see cases.
                            Definitely a wait and see for most of the planes there... Also curious to see how Jeff runs with a new engine. That plane could be blisteringly fast all cleaned up.

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                            Vicky's fast airplane (#6?) could possibly get to that 400 mark if they show up.
                            I love Vicky and that plane so I'm hoping that happens. I think you said something about clipping the wings, that would be awesome, I would think a few more mods would go along with that drag reduction mentality.
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Clas Thunder up with the 5 blade today
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Havoc just received its shiny new McCauley Blackworks propeller
                                "young" Thomas

Comment

Working...
                                X