Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

Look at the dyno graph. The power curve starts at 6700 RPM. The max rpm on aircraft racing engines is around 4000 rpm and are usually geared. $109,000 for that engine plus designing and building gearing equals lots of $$$$ for an engine is designed for drag racing not endurance. My .02.

The claim of this Sonny Leonard engine being the first V8 displacing over 1000 cubic inches is incorrect.
    The Ford "GA" 60 V8 from the 1940's displaced 1100 cubic inches and was mass produced for use in Sherman tanks and other tracked vehicles.

That Sonny's engine is drag racing specific. It does not have the ability to reject the heat it generates for more than a few seconds at a time. Zero percent chance of it working in an aircraft. Then there is the R&D costs to create a PSRU that could handle that power and torque.

Not to mention a 90 degree V8 with hemi heads is very wide, lots of frontal area lots of drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    That Sonny's engine is drag racing specific. It does not have the ability to reject the heat it generates for more than a few seconds at a time. Zero percent chance of it working in an aircraft. Then there is the R&D costs to create a PSRU that could handle that power and torque.
    I totally forgot about the lack of a cooling system/water jackets. Everything else could be worked around. Being naturally aspirated, I figured there might be a good chance that it could survive some races without coming apart.

Considering it's at the displacement limit of the class and making about double the power of the current boosted class leaders, while being N/A, it gives us an idea of what could be coming in the future.

This fully water jacketed and capable of big numbers and under the ci limit. Packaging would be tuff but if you have the cash for this you can can probably afford to pencil out a new design

https://www.stevemorrisengines.com/e...ne-development

Could the engine be designed to fit in an unlimited new build(deep pockets)?
    Lockheed Bob

New blog post on the One Moment website.
    http://teamonemoment.com/2019/05/the...f-sport-class/
    "young" Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    New blog post on the One Moment website.
    http://teamonemoment.com/2019/05/the...f-sport-class/
    Nice post! Thanks for some great narrative. The sport class has certainly been a life line in some lean times. Growing up in the Golden Age of Unlimiteds, I think the Sports are doing a great job of creating their own Golden Age. From day one, I was onboard with the class, and it has exceeded all my expectations and it feels like its just hitting its stride.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

As one that goes back to the Cleveland Air Races I know of the "Golden Age". The article on the Sports Class was well written & I agree they are the upcoming Class to watch for speed & sound. They are a dedicated group to keep the Reno Air Races alive along with the other classes. All age groups have a so called "Golden Age" so support them all.
    Lockheed Bob