Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 115

Thread: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

  1. #11

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ackland View Post
    No, I am not involved in any way. and I am not currently working on a Sport Class racer (although the thought does occasionally cross my mind)...

    Jeff
    My apologies for the misunderstanding, Jeff.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by Coug86 View Post
    I was at KPAE today and happened to see Race 39 take off at around 11:45 for what I assume was a test flight.
    Ahh.

    I live not far from KPAE and heard an airplane that caught my attention. I couldn't see it through the trees, but it could very well have been Race 39.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    KSBP
    Posts
    863

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    I wouldn't be surprised to see Race 39 set a qualifying record this year. Has Race 39 gone faster than Nemesis?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,858

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Race 39 set a qualifying record this year. Has Race 39 gone faster than Nemesis?
    Jeff already holds both the qualifying record, and fastest race average speed record.

  5. #15

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Comparing Jeff's Glassair to Nemesis is a bit of apples and oranges because there was a physical course change and the number of laps changed as well.

    And on the subject of apples and oranges, Jeff raised the qualifying record last year and Andy took the race record. In 2017 the course itself didn't change just the (inflated) calculated distance. So when looking at the times you are still apples to apples, and then you can back-calculate speeds.

    So in 2014 Jeff qualified with a 1:10.963 lap for a calculated speed of 409.812mph.
    And heat 3A was 7:08.403 for a calculated speed of 403.227mph.

    In 2018 Jeff qualified with a 1:09.968 for a calculated speed of 407.022mph. Pre-2017 that would be 416mph!
    And then for the gold Andy flew 7:00.058 for 402.716mph. Pre-2017 this would be 411mph.
    "young" Thomas

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,882

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    Comparing Jeff's Glassair to Nemesis is a bit of apples and oranges because there was a physical course change and the number of laps changed as well.

    And on the subject of apples and oranges, Jeff raised the qualifying record last year and Andy took the race record. In 2017 the course itself didn't change just the (inflated) calculated distance. So when looking at the times you are still apples to apples, and then you can back-calculate speeds.

    So in 2014 Jeff qualified with a 1:10.963 lap for a calculated speed of 409.812mph.
    And heat 3A was 7:08.403 for a calculated speed of 403.227mph.

    In 2018 Jeff qualified with a 1:09.968 for a calculated speed of 407.022mph. Pre-2017 that would be 416mph!
    And then for the gold Andy flew 7:00.058 for 402.716mph. Pre-2017 this would be 411mph.
    This is how I look at it too, itís too hard to compare 39, One Moment, and Nemesis as their fastest races were all basically on a different course or with different timing. Pretty soon someone will set a new record on the course we have now with the timing we have now and I imagine that will hands down be considered the fastest yet.
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  7. #17

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Some consider 500 mph somewhat of where the bar is set for the unlimiteds.....do we ever see the sport class going thru the 500 mph barrier? Do the current planes ie, Glassairs, Lancairs, Thunder Mustangs etc have the structures to withstand the stresses of that kind of speed, or will it take some new designs?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,858

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Some consider 500 mph somewhat of where the bar is set for the unlimiteds.....do we ever see the sport class going thru the 500 mph barrier? Do the current planes ie, Glassairs, Lancairs, Thunder Mustangs etc have the structures to withstand the stresses of that kind of speed, or will it take some new designs?
    That will take new designs and possibly some new rules. The power required to go 500 will be very difficult, if not impossible, with the 1000 cubic inch engine limit.

  9. #19

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    That will take new designs and possibly some new rules. The power required to go 500 will be very difficult, if not impossible, with the 1000 cubic inch engine limit.
    Agreed. Even the unlimiteds are going to be very hard pressed to break 500 with the speed calculation being reset.
    "young" Thomas

  10. #20

    Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

    Someone get cracking on building something around this engine: https://www.sonnysracingengines.com/...r-1005-2100-hp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •