Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

Thank you. I wanted to give the debbie downers a new reason to get excited for Reno. Iím noticing that Reno is a lot like baseball. Itís far more intense when you are a participant than when you are a spectator. Case in point I rewatch the gold race from last year and itís kind of not exciting. But I remember being a nervous wreck the while time, and I started yelling at Andy toĒSlow down!Ē because he was so far ahead. So I try to give others some idea of all the stress Iím going through.
    "young" Thomas

Now "debbie downers" is funny young man, it's almost from the same time period as "Debbie Does Dallas"

"Itís far more intense when you are a participant than when you are a spectator."

Not sure about that. I stayed home and watched the gold race on TV and I was one the edge of my easy chair and intently following the race. Reminded me of the old Nascar days watching Dale Earnhardt Sr. side by side with Terry Labonte at Rockkingham. If I would have been in the stands I would have lost my voice.

That's how exciting it was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    "It’s far more intense when you are a participant than when you are a spectator."

Not sure about that. I stayed home and watched the gold race on TV and I was one the edge of my easy chair and intently following the race. Reminded me of the old Nascar days watching Dale Earnhardt Sr. side by side with Terry Labonte at Rockkingham. If I would have been in the stands I would have lost my voice.

That's how exciting it was for me.
    I lost my voice during 2017's Unlimited Gold. When I was watching 2018's Sport Gold on Thursday via the LiveStream at home, I think I lost my voice then too. Watching the races live at Reno will always be the best, but watching it live through a computer screen can still amp me up. Like Thomas said though, re-watching old races on YouTube will never be the same as when it happened live, but when I need a good fix in late August, old Gold races always seem to do the trick
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Well I'm glad to hear that you guys appreciate the intensity of what's happening. We didn't breathe for 8 minutes and then we still didn't breathe until we heard Jeff had landed safely

Andy was on another podcast. Similar content to the EAA podcast, but some new information talking about safety procedures and the like.
    https://spreadaviation.com/ep-23-air-race-pilot/
    "young" Thomas

A little news on Relentless via Facebook,

Kevin just dropped it off for paint touch ups to have it ready to head to Oshkosh at the end of the month. The cowl and canopy trim look to be the only unpainted spots that were updated. I also got lost following Kevin's new cowling. He had what looked like a new design with circular inlets, but the 'new' unpainted cowl on the plane now has the rectangular inlets like the original. Maybe someone else that was following can chime in.

The other huge update was converting it to center-stick/single-seat configuration. I believe the whole interior was revamped to go along with this.

Kevin is also going with a more reliable engine setup. On top of this he is getting a new MT race prop delivered. (Assuming it will be 3-blade, unlike the 4-blade he has on it now that went with the 8-cylinder).

Nemesis was fast enough "out of the box", Kevin made it even more of a race plane with the single-seat conversion. Really hoping it has a good engine and prop combo to go with it! That seems to be the death of Relentless year after year.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

A couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to observe a new Sport Class entry; one that will surprise many this year (yes, it's flying and entered). It will be an interesting week!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyKidChris View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to observe a new Sport Class entry; one that will surprise many this year (yes, it's flying and entered). It will be an interesting week!
    Stirring the pot!!! Love it, canít wait to hear more
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Stirring the pot!!! Love it, canít wait to hear more
    She's a beast, sure to cause Havoc.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyKidChris View Post
    She's a beast, sure to cause Havoc.
    Thatís speaking my language, is it gonna be painted? (If it hasnít already been)
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19