Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Thread: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

Default Re: 2019 Sport Gold Synopsis

Thanks for the info gents.

Wadeh, do you know why they opted against the new prop?

Jason, sucks about Miss Karen. Andy and Lynn worked hard on her
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Wadeh, do you know why they opted against the new prop?
    They said that they still hadn't figured out the prop. They've been testing the 5 blade on Clas Thunder, but have not been happy with it. The 3 blade that they ran this week is probably not their long term solution. I don't remember that we got into specifics.

Interestingly, they said that they'd not been able to test the race engine in actual conditions before actually running it in a heat this week (which they'd not done yet when we spoke to them). They were expecting more manifold pressure than they'd seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    Miss Karen suffered a mag failure in the Gold.
    Id say that correlates to what it looked liked. Thanks, I was wondering what happened.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sence View Post
    Id say that correlates to what it looked liked. Thanks, I was wondering what happened.
    Miss Karen II had both mags fail during the Gold Race. It happened starting down "The Valley of Speed" in the middle of the 4th lap. Miss Karen II was running the best she had run all week and was closing on 47 and 42 when the engine quit cold. Pulled up and landed on 14. The full feathering prop came in handy.

#44 had a rough week. Saturday night a cylinder and turbo were removed. Sounded bad on Saturday and was troubleshot to the magneto. On Sunday morning it was still not fully together and right after #56 was back from the silver race they ran over borrowed a magneto and bolted it to #44. So the result they had this week was absolutely not for a lack of trying.

#67 found the replica style 3 blade was slightly faster than all the other propeller combinations they've tried (3 blade, 4 blade, 5 blade).

#39 maydayed on Sunday because an induction tube blew off one of the turbos.
    "young" Thomas