Stead Airfield Visit 5-11-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stead Airfield Visit 5-11-19

Thought I would drive over and say good bye to the Bear. When I first drove up I thought he was gone.

A look inside and the Bear is still there, 232 was no where to be seen.

Probably waiting on the truck and permits.

A lot going on at Stead, ramp blocked off, doing drone testing. From what I heard it is a local drone company and one from Poland.This was a dry run for the test they want to do downtown among the buildings in the near future. Last week the news stations were reporting that downtown Virginia Street will be closed for drone testing. The guy also mentioned that Uber was here earlier for some testing.

The Stead tower is getting refreshed, new paint and such. The old building by the main gate finally got demolished. Back in the mid 80's it was a daycare, I still remember dropping off my son there. Slowly but surely the old buildings are going, anybody remember the old steakhouse they had on the main entrance road in the 70s, I cannot find any photos of it?

I think the Stead Airfield future will see a influx of high tech business tenants before long.

Swan lake is looking nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HR3_1700.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	242294Click image for larger version

Name:	HR3_1701.jpg
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	242295Click image for larger version

Name:	HR3_1702.jpg
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	242296Click image for larger version

Name:	HR3_1703.jpg
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	242297Click image for larger version

Name:	HR3_1705.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	242298
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 05-11-2019, 12:16 PM.

Re: Stead Airfield Visit 5-11-19

Couple more
    Attached Files

Comment

I was out there also. Drones Yes. the Rare Bear pit trailer was hooked up & sitting utside. One of the guys said it was going to Texas. Left over Blue Thunder guys are in the sold T6 Hanger .Looks like the end of the modified unlimited's unless some big money shows up. I still can't find out who is going to sponsor the 2020 races.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
        I was out there also. Drones Yes. the Rare Bear pit trailer was hooked up & sitting utside. One of the guys said it was going to Texas. Left over Blue Thunder guys are in the sold T6 Hanger .Looks like the end of the modified unlimited's unless some big money shows up. I still can't find out who is going to sponsor the 2020 races.

It was guys with big money that killed the era of the big bad unlimited racers.
        John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
          Ain’t that the truth.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Interesting thought. I believe I know where you're coming from but can you expand on your theme?
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Kinda understand, everyone thinks that bigger and more (money) is better. Much like what has happened with NASCAR, lots of money but it just seems to collapse under its own weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                Interesting thought. I believe I know where you're coming from but can you expand on your theme?
                Having the money to do it means nothing if you don't have the dedication to see it through. It took some guys years of frustration before they saw any success in this game. At any level of the sport. And the personalities involved, oh my God...

Comment

I think that this statement applies to Warbirds in general.
                  remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                    Nope, in this case less is more.
                    John Slack

Comment

Working...
                    X