X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye Bear

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
    Thank you a lot Race5.
    Something sounded in my head, may be because some time ago I worked with the P-3.
    C-130-A Hub iirc

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
      C-130-A Hub iirc
      Didn't the C-130A have Curtiss Electric blades?
      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

C-130-A Hub iirc
        C-130A used a three blade Aeroproducts prop. The Bearcat used a Constellation hub.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
          I know this is probably more sarcastic than not, but...

I think it's a "good for bad" scenario. Sold 232 (sadly to go where we don't want it), but it got Rod some airplane cash, and already had a trailer coming to pick it up so why not take care of Bear too?

I highly doubt this would've happened now if 232 hadn't sold. It's too much of a coincidence.
          There is also another factor in this that I believe pushed this theory into action. I can’t confirm this yet but, from what hear, it’s basically a done deal.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            From what I gather from Dusty, the wing spar mod is effectively a redesigned spar cap that is both made of stronger and more crack resistant material, but also doesn't require the very large number of rivets to hold it together. This was the cause of the weak wing spars in the Bearcat that led to the Navy limiting them to +/-2Gs and fair weather flying only. (They were fine to sell to France and other friendly countries following the end of WW2.) The spars were effectively swiss cheese allowing cracks to form from the numerous rivet holes in it. The F8F1 that was finished by the Ezells last year was the first Bearcat to have the new assembly. Dusty put a lot of time, effort and $ into designing and certifying the mod. The F8F1 was Dusty's before he sold it.

Seeing as how Rare Bear was wrecked, rebuilt, landed gear up, and raced hard for decades, with a larger engine and for a while a monster prop that caused all sorts of interesting things to happen with the airframe, that wing spar might be iffy. I know the Bear was pulled apart around the time Lyle sold it, but it was well before Dusty had finished the mod. Since its going to Breckenridge, I would be shocked if they didn't do this mod simply because they have seen it, and done it on the -1. It would be fitting on the most badass Bearcat in history.

Will
            I seem to remember Cornell saying that the Navy had put a steel spar strap on the bottom of the wing, and that Lyle had it drilled off and removed. I recall Dave saying something like "what about all of those holes?!".
            I may just be nuts, or is there someone else out there that remembers something about them removing a strap?

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
              I seem to remember Cornell saying that the Navy had put a steel spar strap on the bottom of the wing, and that Lyle had it drilled off and removed. I recall Dave saying something like "what about all of those holes?!".
              I may just be nuts, or is there someone else out there that remembers something about them removing a strap?
              I remember that as well. I'd bet if we searched this site long enough, we could find it.

Yes, the Navy put the spar strap on, and in doing so added even more holes to the spar weakening it further. Dusty mentioned this one of the times I was talking to him. If the one on RB has been removed, I really hope Dusty's mod is at the top of the list for things to be done. Seriously, it would be horrible to get RB back in the air, and have the wings come off in a race, be it at Reno, a 3K run or simply a test flight.

Will

Comment

Aviation Classics to be closed or sold within two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                  Aviation Classics to be closed or sold within two years.
                  Where did you hear this?

Comment

Bear has arrived at Ezell.
                    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Where did you hear this?
                      I hate to say a reliable source but, a reliable source.

Comment

A nice little bit of info on Al Reddick under "About Us"

Last edited by Desertdawg; 05-22-2019, 08:33 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Good to see the Bear getting worked on again! Wonder if that is why it has been on the sidelines for so long. Ezell has had a lot of work to finish up with a Corsair, Bearcat, and Lighting

Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                          X