Goodbye Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye Bear

Would anyone here believe that at one point there was discussions and research about modifying it to a "V" tail? It's true. I wonder what the Bearcat would look like if Lyle had Rods resources. BCIV can either confirm or deny the veracity of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
      Would anyone here believe that at one point there was discussions and research about modifying it to a "V" tail? It's true. I wonder what the Bearcat would look like if Lyle had Rods resources. BCIV can either confirm or deny the veracity of the story.
      I've heard that story. Can't remember if it was Mel's idea, or Dave's. Supposedly the drawings exist somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
        Speaking in for RAD2LTR (Will) on this site, he talks with Dusty a good amount and there’s a wing spar mod that seems to be very important to strengthening F8F’s that Dusty believes should be done on every Bearcat. The Bearcat that just finished at Ezell is the first to have it done. I imagine strengthening the airframe in general (this wing spar mod included) would be on a priority list to get completed.
        From what I gather from Dusty, the wing spar mod is effectively a redesigned spar cap that is both made of stronger and more crack resistant material, but also doesn't require the very large number of rivets to hold it together. This was the cause of the weak wing spars in the Bearcat that led to the Navy limiting them to +/-2Gs and fair weather flying only. (They were fine to sell to France and other friendly countries following the end of WW2.) The spars were effectively swiss cheese allowing cracks to form from the numerous rivet holes in it. The F8F1 that was finished by the Ezells last year was the first Bearcat to have the new assembly. Dusty put a lot of time, effort and $ into designing and certifying the mod. The F8F1 was Dusty's before he sold it.

Seeing as how Rare Bear was wrecked, rebuilt, landed gear up, and raced hard for decades, with a larger engine and for a while a monster prop that caused all sorts of interesting things to happen with the airframe, that wing spar might be iffy. I know the Bear was pulled apart around the time Lyle sold it, but it was well before Dusty had finished the mod. Since its going to Breckenridge, I would be shocked if they didn't do this mod simply because they have seen it, and done it on the -1. It would be fitting on the most badass Bearcat in history.

Will

Comment

Its one thing to do that mod when you are building one from scratch. Doing it to an existing air frame is a whole other issue. Might as well convert it to stock at that point since you'll have the whole thing drilled apart to get the spar out.

Comment

My son took this Monday.
            I went out there last Friday and touched it one last time. Took a few detail pics for a portrait later. I have a lot of great Air Race memories involving the Bear.
            I'm hoping it ends up retuning but I'm not holding my breath.
            Attached Files
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Fortunately one of the best moments of my life was to be in Reno 1994. I had the oportunity to meet that great people and see the RareBear with the three blades propeller. And BTW, it won the Super Gold unlimited race.
              Reading the above commentaries about the Bear and the 3-blades prop, the skillfullness of its pilots and crew takes a bigger dimension.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by taglialavore; 05-17-2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gp70442 View Post
                I remember at the time that Lyle reported unexpected gyroscopic forces (3 blade) causing the nose to want to go left or right every time he loaded or unloaded some G around the pylons. The first time it happened was in one of those legendary battles with Strega. He didn't know what was causing it but he but kept dancing on the pedals because it was a fierce race.
                It sounded like a pretty hairy ride. At least, that's the way I remember the report from that time.
                I realized then that it would take a pretty big pair to ride that out.

One of the local historians can correct me if my memory is fuzzy.

GP

You have two or more stories combined into one, the big problem with the airplane in that story was the CG was in the wrong spot. Lyle felt the three blade propeller was faster overall.
                John
                John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  I've heard that story. Can't remember if it was Mel's idea, or Dave's. Supposedly the drawings exist somewhere.
                  I always heard it was something Carl Friend thought might work, I never met him, he passed before I ever worked on the airplane. I'm pretty sure he might have had something to do with the three blade prop as well. That three blade prop had a huge effect on the popularity of the Bearcat, it looked awesome, and it was fast. There were some very smart people involved in actually making it a reality. As John has stated Lyle never had a huge bankroll to fund the racing but apparently he believed in that idea enough to let the roof leak at home.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                    I always heard it was something Carl Friend thought might work, I never met him, he passed before I ever worked on the airplane. I'm pretty sure he might have had something to do with the three blade prop as well. That three blade prop had a huge effect on the popularity of the Bearcat, it looked awesome, and it was fast. There were some very smart people involved in actually making it a reality. As John has stated Lyle never had a huge bankroll to fund the racing but apparently he believed in that idea enough to let the roof leak at home.
                    Dave called the 3-Blade "An experiment that failed" Something to do with the airfoil not being ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                      Dave called the 3-Blade "An experiment that failed" Something to do with the airfoil not being ideal.
                      Would you have an educated guess at what the weight difference was between the 3 and 4 blade setups?

Comment

I have a doubt I hope someone can answer it, if possible of course.
                        What aircraft did the three blades prop come from?

Comment

Would you have an educated guess at what the weight difference was between the 3 and 4 blade setups?

I would say similar, but do not know for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
                            I have a doubt I hope someone can answer it, if possible of course.
                            What aircraft did the three blades prop come from?
                            The blades were modified P-3 Orion blades mounted in a Lockheed Constellation hub.

Comment

The blades were modified P-3 Orion blades mounted in a Lockheed Constellation hub.
                              Thank you a lot Race5.
                              Something sounded in my head, may be because some time ago I worked with the P-3.

Comment

I think it was a lot heavier than the 4-blade. The spinner alone was very heavy. If i remember right, they had to add tail ballast. I believe no ballast was needed 2009 - 2012.

Comment

Working...
                                X