X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye Bear

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    <>

I think it's a "good for bad" scenario. Sold 232 (sadly to go where we don't want it), but it got Rod some airplane cash, and already had a trailer coming to pick it up so why not take care of Bear too?

I highly doubt this would've happened now if 232 hadn't sold. It's too much of a coincidence.
    Good observation...
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by svtmi View Post
      This was posted on the Lewis Air Legends Instagram site this morning.

"The Bear is heading back to Breckenridge, Texas for some TLC...wing modifications and oil cooling system work. More big flying adventure to come, perhaps even a run for the World Speed Record again! Thank you fans for the continued support!
      Team Rare Bear"
      I told Cornell when it went to Texas last time I figured they would want to replace the center section main spar while it was there. I was surprised when it came back without that being done. It has "a little" battle damage from when it was torque-rolled in Indiana.
      Don't know if that is what they plan to do or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        Wing mods meaning put the flaps back on it too?
        Or winglets?

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
          I told Cornell when it went to Texas last time I figured they would want to replace the center section main spar while it was there. I was surprised when it came back without that being done. It has "a little" battle damage from when it was torque-rolled in Indiana.
          Don't know if that is what they plan to do or not.
          Speaking in for RAD2LTR (Will) on this site, he talks with Dusty a good amount and there’s a wing spar mod that seems to be very important to strengthening F8F’s that Dusty believes should be done on every Bearcat. The Bearcat that just finished at Ezell is the first to have it done. I imagine strengthening the airframe in general (this wing spar mod included) would be on a priority list to get completed.
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Empty Cave
            Attached Files
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
              I think we can all agree on that front, but of course she’s going to support Bear with Stew in the saddle. I believe a compromise of the best shape Bear has been in under Rod’s ownership should suffice
              Is it a foregone conclusion that Mr. Dawson will be the pilot going forward? He didn't give that impression while chatting at Osh last year.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                Or winglets?
                I don't think so. Winglets are good for induced drag, and induced drag is not the main drag concern for racing or speed record attempts. Write-up on Clipped wingtip mod
                "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                  Is it a foregone conclusion that Mr. Dawson will be the pilot going forward? He didn't give that impression while chatting at Osh last year.
                  Nobody knows that answer yet, one day at a time
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                    Empty Cave
                    Is the 3-blade prop hanging on the wall somewhere, or did it tag along with the Bear? (One can always hope)

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
                      Is the 3-blade prop hanging on the wall somewhere, or did it tag along with the Bear? (One can always hope)
                      One can only hope, the sheer coolness is worth at least 10mph..............but up or down??

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                        One can only hope, the sheer coolness is worth at least 10mph..............but up or down??
                        The only problem with that prop is that the only man who ever truly could fly it is no longer with us....
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          The only problem with that prop is that the only man who ever truly could fly it is no longer with us....
                          I heard something about the three bladed prop caused some structural stress and that was the reason for not using it. "Clod hopper yaw dampers".
                          Last edited by Reever; 05-16-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

There was a great article IN Air Classics many years back written by John Penney about flying the Bear. He describes the stick and rudder forces, trim issues and the cyclic "twist" in the planes direction of travel with that prop. It did not sound like a fun ride!
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

It set the speed record with the 4 blade prop.

Comment

I remember at the time that Lyle reported unexpected gyroscopic forces (3 blade) causing the nose to want to go left or right every time he loaded or unloaded some G around the pylons. The first time it happened was in one of those legendary battles with Strega. He didn't know what was causing it but he but kept dancing on the pedals because it was a fierce race.
                                It sounded like a pretty hairy ride. At least, that's the way I remember the report from that time.
                                I realized then that it would take a pretty big pair to ride that out.

One of the local historians can correct me if my memory is fuzzy.

GP

Comment

Working...
                                X