Greenmeyer homebuilt Racer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenmeyer homebuilt Racer??

Whatever happened to the racer being built with I think F-86 tail, Corsair wings or fuselage, was going to have a 4360 for power. Anyone know whatever happened to this bird?? Also, wondered whatever happened to Mach buster, the homebuilt unlimited at Livermore Ca.

Machbuster is owned by David Rose now. He spent the last two years trying to get it to work, but suffered a number of setbacks including a gear collapse.

It appears, according to the following link, that he has shelved MachBuster in favor of a new project...

Aircraft for sale. Find the best new and used aircraft for sale such as business jets, helicopters, Experimental, Warbirds and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
      It appears, according to the following link, that he has shelved MachBuster in favor of a new project...

http://www.barnstormers.com/EVENTS/0...040101-01.html
      Interesting... looks a fair bit like the DART racer....

Ought to be interesting.

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Greenmeyer homebuilt Racer??

Originally posted by Unregistered
        Whatever happened to the racer being built with I think F-86 tail, Corsair wings or fuselage, was going to have a 4360 for power. Anyone know whatever happened to this bird?? Also, wondered whatever happened to Mach buster, the homebuilt unlimited at Livermore Ca.
        There are two projects here: 1) Matt Jackson's American Spirit, which has the F-86 tail and a T-2 Buckeye wing with R-3350 power, which is scheduled to fly this year, but not be at Reno '04; and 2) Daryl Greenamyer's Shockwave with an R-4360 on a custom-built fuse and Seafury outer wing panels. I'm not aware of any progress on Shockwave since the folks at AmJet ran out of cash about 5 years ago. Peas
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Wildfire (MachBuster)

Looks like they are using the wing, horizontal, and prop off MachBuster with a new fuselage and new wide track, simple retracting landing gear.

Comment

I see the web site says "This new racer will compete in the "Unlimited" Class during the 2004 Reno Air Races." Does that mean that both David Rose and Wildfire will have to be at this years PRS?
            I know David has won the Sport Biplane Class many times but has he flown an Unlimited class racer? That's not very much time to shake the bugs out of a brand new experimental airplane, get use to flying twice as fast around the pylons and "beat out the [so called] 507mph record" beat Dago the Bear and a bunch of other proven Unlimited planes and veteran Unlimited pilots.
            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Projects

I could be wrong, but I think Peashooter's description is a bit confused (then again, maybe it's me). As I recall "American Spirit" by Matt Jackson / Dave Cornell uses the T-2 tail, wing and part of the fuselage, with an 3350. It's Greenemeyer's "Shockwave" that uses the F-86 tail, with Sea Fury outer wing panels, a scratch built fuselage and center section and a 4360.
              On another topic, does anyone know where (web site or book) to find solid technical descriptions of piston engines (like bore and stroke, etc)? I'm interested primarily in the P&W 4360 and 2800. Thanks in advance.

Comment

shockwave was in San Diego, but left last weekend to go up north.
                last time I saw it, it was on the gear, with wings on. I can't wait until that beast is flying.

Comment

Re: Projects

Originally posted by FlyKidChris
                  I could be wrong, but I think Peashooter's description is a bit confused (then again, maybe it's me). As I recall "American Spirit" by Matt Jackson / Dave Cornell uses the T-2 tail, wing and part of the fuselage, with an 3350. It's Greenemeyer's "Shockwave" that uses the F-86 tail, with Sea Fury outer wing panels, a scratch built fuselage and center section and a 4360.
                  On another topic, does anyone know where (web site or book) to find solid technical descriptions of piston engines (like bore and stroke, etc)? I'm interested primarily in the P&W 4360 and 2800. Thanks in advance.
                  You're right. I must be getting old and addled! Peas
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                  World Speed Record Holder

Comment

The airrace fans in the midwest appreciate all the updates on racers on the left coast, please keep it coming.
                    I was under the impression that Wildfire was the on going project at mojave that is supposed to be nearing flight testing according to a thread on warbirdaeropress.
                    It just amazes me that someone can be building a racer and be as far along as David Rose is and that it is just now being reported on this board. It looks great but I haven't won the lottery so I can't help him .....yet.
                    It is good to hear that Shock Wave and American Spirit are being worked on and possibly being ready for 2005.
                    Hopefully Mr Awesome will be completed and make it sometime in the near future. The only dissapointment for me this morning is that The Red Baron project that I understood was being built in Indianappolis has been sold for parts.
                    Please keep the information coming.

RichBSTL

Comment

Greenamyer Homebuilt Racer

For FlyKidChris
                      And for any motorheads out there. Many of you may already know of this excellent resource, Bill Kerchenfaut and Brent Hisey are members, but the Aircraft Engine Historical Society, www.enginehistory.org is an excellent source for anything to do with aircraft engines. Piston or Jet. They publish an excellent journal, "Torque Meter" and cover the technical aspects of Reno Unlimited air racing in at least four back issues. I recommend it to anyone with an interest. Good web site that will keep you reading for hours.

Comment

Thanks Champ19

I'd heard of the "society" but not the web-site. Many thanks, I'll get right on it. Again, thanks.

Comment

enginehistory.org

Wow, awesome site. I was reading the history of the R-4360 and came across the fact that one of the engines was ran for 1 hour at an output of 4850hp. Damn, can you imagine the noise that sucker made cranking out that kind of horsepower for a solid hour. I wonder what the fuel consumption was!!

Comment

To All:

You also might try Graham White's book "Allied Aircraft Piston Engines". It can be found at Amazon! Excellent source of info on P&W, Curtis Wright, Rolls Royce, and Allison engines. If my memory is correct, Dwight Thorne recommended this book. By the way, Mr. White's book lists the P&W 4360 & P&W 2800 both having a bore of 5.75 inches and a stroke of 6.0 inches. I was very impressed with the Aircraft Engine Historical Society. Great Stuff!

Keith Doyne
                            Still In Frozen Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by rampmouse
                              shockwave was in San Diego, but left last weekend to go up north.
                              last time I saw it, it was on the gear, with wings on. I can't wait until that beast is flying.
                              Kinda dated pics (been holding on to these P1 submitted pics for a while now, and not doing me much good on the old hard drive collecting dust) - but shows a little of the progress on the plane as of 3 years ago.

**Image Links Removed By Admin Until Disputed Ownership Can Be Resolved <sigh>**

One can only imagine what progress has been made since then.

As far as who took these - he wished at that time to remain anon - so I will still honor that request.
                              Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                              X