Views:	312 
Size:	521.8 KB 
ID:	24226
    "young" Thomas

Default Re: NBC Broadcast of 2018 races

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

So watching the show jogged my memory of unlimited 1A. The Yak took the escape route out of the valley of speed reentered the course around pylon 3 and passed a bunch of mustangs on the next lap. But that seems to all have been caused by the messy start. Mike Brown is changing lanes way before the guide pylon and Mark Watt is seen turning right at the guide pylon. Mike Brown passed inside and that was how he got into second for as long as he did. Did anyone hear additional info about what all happened? Graeme posted on Facebook the day after that he had a mustang too close to his face.
    "young" Thomas

Ya, I had forgotten about that. Never did hear anything about it though. Somebody somewhere knows something.

Saw part 1, now watching part 2.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Fun fact, we didn't get the camera installed into the plane until 2A on Friday. Obviously on Friday we had our ADI issue and on Sunday we started from the pole. So For the 1A race the in-cockpit footage was actually all from Saturday. Makes for some good TV though

I've also noticed I enjoy the interviews and stories more with these episodes knowing I can always go back and watch the livestream for the actual racing. Kind of like having your cake and eating it too.
    "young" Thomas

^^^Ahhhh, the magic of television.

Overall, compared to last year, much better. I still hate a backstory in the middle of a race though. Or a post race interview side by side with the race hes still running? WTF? Minus those two annoyances, pretty well done so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    So watching the show jogged my memory of unlimited 1A. The Yak took the escape route out of the valley of speed reentered the course around pylon 3 and passed a bunch of mustangs on the next lap. But that seems to all have been caused by the messy start. Mike Brown is changing lanes way before the guide pylon and Mark Watt is seen turning right at the guide pylon. Mike Brown passed inside and that was how he got into second for as long as he did. Did anyone hear additional info about what all happened? Graeme posted on Facebook the day after that he had a mustang too close to his face.
    Graeme and MB were having disputes all week. Graeme would hold his line and MB would cross it at the start, then complain that Graeme wasn't holding his line on the start. The escape route incident was in fact due to Graeme not being able to see where MB was. He knew they were close, but couldn't see him so he took the escape and reentered as he was instructed to do in the pilots briefing. I saw a little in cockpit video from some of the starts and every time MB would cross and vanish under Graeme about a second after the race started. (I got a couple pics of this unfolding from the hillside on Saturday.) It was really making him uneasy. I'll try and get him in here to post his thoughts.

Will

All three episodes are now on RARA's youtube channel.

I loved seeing Jackie and Scott Findlay celebrating (I was farther down the crowd line so I never got to see that). No one deserves this more than them. Justin in F1 is a great story and a really humble guy.

And I really liked the emphasis on the racing in Sport. We've been hearing the same old "sport is the future of air racing" for years. Well based on the racing and crowd reactions of "I normally don't care about sport but that was cool" I say the future is here. Really excited to see where this goes in growing the event and I hope (probably in vain) that we get the Sport class on this year's poster.
    "young" Thomas

I certainly enjoyed watching all 3 episodes!

I must say though ... there was already discussion in this thread about Mike Brown cutting off Graeme Frew in Heat 1A, but after seeing the last episode and watching Mike Brown fly across Sherman Smoot's face at the start of the race (which I believe Smoot was two planes over in the formation) ... I would genuinely love to hear an explanation from someone as to why Mike Brown wasn't DQ-ed for that "maneuver"?
    Chris