Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today is a special day in my bookof air-racing heroes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today is a special day in my bookof air-racing heroes.

Today is the anniversary of the passing of my hero Lyle Shelton. So happy to have met him!

Re: Today is a special day in my bookof air-racing heroes.

Air racing misses Lyle for sure. Lucky enough to get his autograph and shake his hand. He always had time, what a class act.

Comment

My Dad loved the fans, every one of them. He would stay signing autographs long after every one else. I miss him very much.
      John
      John Slack

Comment

They don’t built ‘em like that guy anymore.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Class act for sure. It is so sad that the "Bear" isn't still flying as a tribute to him.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Dave always described him as "A Monster of a Competitor"

Back when Men were Men and **** was Real...………….

Comment

I might be older and have seen all the really good bands of the 60's and 70's, but I will forever be convinced that I was born a generation too late.

I miss those days...those days that I missed.
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I'm also older Owen and seen Little Richard, my Rams win the big one and every Reno since '69. Born at the right time and missed little if anything. It was all great.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
                  I'm also older Owen and seen Little Richard, my Rams win the big one and every Reno since '69. Born at the right time and missed little if anything. It was all great.
                  Sneauxman must not be as old as I am, cuz I i danced to the old old bands in the 40's! Still have some of the old vinyl.

Comment

I don't go as far back as WW2, but the last Doolittle Raider passed the other day. It sure put things in perspective.

Comment

Lyle was a one of a kind! I remember sitting in the stands as a young fan watching him walk from the pits out to the plane, the grace in the way that lanky Texan moved in his flight suit, his mannerisms, the way he greeted the crowd as he made that walk through the pits.. his SMILE! He was RIGHT where he wanted to be!

Old fart here too! LOL Grew up on big bands and country and western on the Fallon Nevada, then Reno radio later.. Elvis was in there somewhere! Wound up playing 60's music in a band down there.. in another life..

Prolly need to move this old guy part of this thread to a separate thread??
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Good Idea Wayne about moving the "Old Guys" by itself. I can go back to the Cleveland Air Races when I as a teenager was called "Burr Head" by Tony Levier flying his Red P38 . Unlimited course was 30 miles for 10 laps=300 miles. None of those today would last long.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X