World Speed Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Speed Record

Throwing it out there. Could a highly prepared Griffon Powered "Spitfire"set the World Speed Record? I know money, money & more money.
    Lockheed Bob

Re: World Speed Record

I think a highly modified Merlin powered Spit would have a good shot at the record. In all honesty, it seems to those in the warbird community sacrilegious to "cut up" a Spit. Can you imagine a Spit with Voodoo or Strega treatment?, Might give the Buick a good run for the money

Jim

Comment

Not being an expert in the field of aerodynamics, I'd say a Mk22 Spitfire would still struggle to break 500 mph simply because of the cooling system being hung from the underside of the wings, and being very draggy. Now, if there were a way to tuck them into the wings the way Stiletto was first done, they might have a shot. Overall the Mk22 is a clean design, but those coolers under the wings gotta go.

Will

Comment

How about streamlined V-tailed Messerschmitt 109 with Napier Sabre engine ( 5500 hp ) ??

Comment

I think a 109 with a Saber would sit on its nose, and not have enough rudder. The Saber isn't a light engine. I'm also not sure you could house the Saber within the lines of a 109. Its a pretty wide engine.

Will

Comment

I reckon a Griffon Spitfire would have a good chance, but maybe the Mk XII would be the choice rather than the Mk 22. The XII was a amalgam of the smaller Merlin engined Mk V with clipped wings and a Griffon engine up front, designed for chasing down V1 flying bombs. While paper will say there were faster aircraft it managed to outrun the Typhoon and Fw190 during testing.

As for if a Spitfire could reach high speeds; consider this - the wings had an aileron reversal speed of 580mph. When several Seafire XV's started pulling their wings off when rolling at high speed, a stiffer wing design was introduced with an aileron reversal speed of 825mph to put it well out of reach. The failures stopped happening and sevral pilots recount diving Seafires well beyond the Vne in the Pilots Notes when necessary.

During wartime tests with the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, Spitfires were dived to over 600mph. In 1952 Flt Lt Ted Powles entered a dive in a Spitfire and reached around 690mph on the way down. It remains unverified due to instrument issues with the aircraft, but the times and figures he recorded suggest he wasn't stretching the truth much.

There's only a couple of issues. One is always going to be power, as all the really high Spitfire speeds were done in a dive, achieving it in level flight would likely be beyond what the engine and prop combination could deliver. Secondly, Spitfires are worth so much its unlikely anyone would want to modify one far enough to try.

The idea won't go away though.
            Last edited by Rich W; 03-27-2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich W View Post
              I reckon a Griffon Spitfire would have a good chance, but maybe the Mk XII would be the choice rather than the Mk 22. The XII was a amalgam of the smaller Merlin engined Mk V with clipped wings and a Griffon engine up front, designed for chasing down V1 flying bombs. While paper will say there were faster aircraft it managed to outrun the Typhoon and Fw190 during testing.

As for if a Spitfire could reach high speeds; consider this - the wings had an aileron reversal speed of 580mph. When several Seafire XV's started pulling their wings off when rolling at high speed, a stiffer wing design was introduced with an aileron reversal speed of 825mph to put it well out of reach. The failures stopped happening and sevral pilots recount diving Seafires well beyond the Vne in the Pilots Notes when necessary.

During wartime tests with the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, Spitfires were dived to over 600mph. In 1952 Flt Lt Ted Powles entered a dive in a Spitfire and reached around 690mph on the way down. It remains unverified due to instument issues with the aircraft, but the times and figures he recorded suggest he wasn't stretching the truth much.

There's only a couple of issues. One is always going to be power, as all the really high Spitfire speeds were done in a dive, achieving it in level flight would likely be beyond what the engine and prop combination could deliver. Secondly, Spitfires are worth so much its unlikely anyone would want to modify one far enough to try.

The idea won't go away though.
              Mk XII is an awesome plane. Early Griffon and the clipped wings, it's a looker! I would also agree it would probably be a better choice over the later Griffons. Would take a lot of money to find the right engine/prop combo for a record.
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Spitfire was excellent in many respect, but I agree that the basic concept of Mustang/Tsunami lineage is better.

Miracle of Dunkirk; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AygSW1lWVOk

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                  Not being an expert in the field of aerodynamics, I'd say a Mk22 Spitfire would still struggle to break 500 mph simply because of the cooling system being hung from the underside of the wings, and being very draggy. Now, if there were a way to tuck them into the wings the way Stiletto was first done, they might have a shot. Overall the Mk22 is a clean design, but those coolers under the wings gotta go.

Will
                  Boil off

On a more serious note though, I do think boil off is a better bang for your buck on something like a spitfire or a P-40 versus a P-51 which already has a better radiator design.
                  "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Doesn't the high speed increase friction heat near M1 ?

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                      Boil off

On a more serious note though, I do think boil off is a better bang for your buck on something like a spitfire or a P-40 versus a P-51 which already has a better radiator design.
                      Packaging might be an issue. Paging Pete Law... Pete Law to the courtesy phone please...

I've done a what if model of a Spitfire running a boil off and man does it look clean. I bet you could house one in a P-40, but I'm not sure there is enough room in a Spitfire.

Will

Comment

Good point. The all-knowing wiki showed a Griffon model having 84 gallons in the main tanks. That's "only" 42 gal in one wing if convert that tank to water/ADI.

Race #30 is using 30 gallons of water as is.
                        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Boil off (or evaporative cooling if you prefer...) was designed in as the front of the wing ahead of the spar was intended for use as a steam tank. It was only embodied in the very first 'high speed' Spitfire, but the legacy carried over to production and proved useful; as some PR Spitfires later used it to carry fuel as a wet wing, 57 gal capacity each side. There's also a modification that was trialled for a 43 gallon tank behind the pilot seat.

If you're not carrying the guns and ammunition, there's room to play with!
                          Last edited by Rich W; 03-29-2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

30 gallons of water, how much ADI?

Race #30 is using 30 gallons of water as is.[/QUOTE]

Comment

SeaFire racer

Yes the wingtips are a bit large.

Will

Comment

Working...
                              X