Sabre III 24 cylinder engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabre III 24 cylinder engine.

I just realized that Napier Sabre is almost 20 cm shorter than Merlin engine...and 37 litre volume.

This is an ultimate engine....any of those available ?

5500 hp

Last edited by Jukka; 03-22-2019, 01:19 PM.

Re: Sabre III 24 cylinder engine.

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
    I just realized that Napier Sabre is almost 20 cm shorter than Merlin engine...and 37 litre volume.

This is an ultimate engine....any of those available ?

5500 hp

Available yes, accessible to put into something besides an airworthy Tempest? No.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Could they be reproduced ? For air racing ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
        Could they be reproduced ? For air racing ?
        As with anything, if you have that sort of money it’s not impossible. It would probably be upwards of millions to overhaul/reproduce a Sabre, and then fit it into an air racer fuselage (it’s not like putting a Griffon on a Mustang or a 3350 on a Bearcat/Fury), and then on top of that there’s zero development of the Sabre in racing so the time it would take to potentially make it a potent combo for racing is years and millions of dollars in trial and error. It’s an awesome engine, but I will be happy enough to see it on a flying Typhoon or Tempest
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I recall Sam Bousfield and Eric Ahlstrom sorta run into a wall...as they couldn't find an engine for the Dart racer.

If the air racing sorta took advantage of the new materials and aerodynamics...the planes could go 1000 km/h....with purpose build new engines ( let's say Chevrolet, Ferrari and Mercedes got interested...etc ).

If the track was also interesting to watch...like in Star Wars pod racers....( not quite )....it could make a difference.

Comment

It would be cheapest to develop the HS-7 radial.

Comment

Working...
            X