Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: 232

  1. #51

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    Wasn't that engine originally slated to be used on "American Spirit"? I don't think it ever differed significantly in configuration from when that engine was first pilfered from the project. Interesting he would say that about his own idea...
    Dave intended to run the fuel injection and stock nose case in American Spirit for the cross-country speed record.
    For the 3K and 5K speed runs and Reno it would be an engine without the stock fuel injection and with a slow-turning nose case.

    The Rare Bear did not use a carburetor as one would normally think. Dave had his own solution for fuel and air metering. That is all you will get from me on that subject, but trust me, it was unique. Probably one of the first things to go in the dumpster down in Texas.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Auburn, CA
    Posts
    164

    Default Re: 232

    [QUOTE=toldjaso;137836]The Critical Mass engine was "borrowed" from Tom Dwelle

    Not "borrowed", it was bought and paid for. It was a clone of the rare bare engine, so a bolt on replacement. We were very happy to see it go to a good home. Even happier that they won with it.
    TJ

  3. #53

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    Dave intended to run the fuel injection and stock nose case in American Spirit for the cross-country speed record.
    For the 3K and 5K speed runs and Reno it would be an engine without the stock fuel injection and with a slow-turning nose case.

    The Rare Bear did not use a carburetor as one would normally think. Dave had his own solution for fuel and air metering. That is all you will get from me on that subject, but trust me, it was unique. Probably one of the first things to go in the dumpster down in Texas.
    Why the secrecy? If it isn't on the plane anymore what's the harm?
    "young" Thomas

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,866

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    Why the secrecy? If it isn't on the plane anymore what's the harm?
    Intellectual property. The person that had the idea has the right to distribute it, or not.

  5. #55

    Default Re: 232

    I know how intellectual property works

    [begin rant] But I've never understood reno teams being so tight lipped about the things they are working on. There's the silly season fun for the current year. That's all in fun and I get and enjoy that, but I've tried to be open about older mods. This isn't Red Bull or F1 where the margins are close or the prizes are high. Point being, if one race team gave up all its speed secrets there really isn't a whole lot at stake. If there was more at stake, then Reno would be a much more popular event(and that's part of the problem, but I digress). Even if you divulge the concept that still is up to the individual team to execute the concept. Just like we all know how boil off "works", but that doesn't mean we can all make one that "works". [okay end rant]
    "young" Thomas

  6. #56

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    Why the secrecy? If it isn't on the plane anymore what's the harm?
    What I meant was I don't want the current Rare Bear owner mad at me for giving out too many of it's racing secrets. I don't know for certain what it's current configuration is, or what if may ever be again. Sometimes they might put something back on that worked in the past. I can tell you that it is very expensive to try something new on one of these Unlimited race planes. Most of it is proprietary information.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,886

    Default Re: 232

    Sold.
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    west valley/silicon valley
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Sold.
    Sold to be restored as stock and to go overseas.
    remember the Oogahonk!

    old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Denver CO
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Moer View Post
    Sold to be restored as stock and to go overseas.
    Sounds like it is not going overseas.....Not sure about stock-

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,886

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by rforslund View Post
    Sounds like it is not going overseas.....Not sure about stock-
    Well with "flying in the not so distant future", "owner doesn't plan on racing", and "not going to UK", we have more hints, I'm not sure where that leaves us next, lots of guessing still
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •