Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: 232

  1. #41

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by marada mx3 View Post
    Wouldn't 232 be in that mix (Sawbones and Miss A) if a "stock" 3350 was installed? Would she be considered a super stocker then? Seems like a more affordable option to keep 232 rounding the pylons, if someone wanted to do so. Just spitballin'.
    It had a stock fuel injected turbo compound R-3350. Just had the turbos removed and a slow-turning nose case installed.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Denver CO
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    It had a stock fuel injected turbo compound R-3350. Just had the turbos removed and a slow-turning nose case installed.
    We’re the turbos removed for better reliability?

  3. #43

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by rforslund View Post
    We’re the turbos removed for better reliability?
    The exhaust from the turbos is a real problem for a fuselage with a pilot and windshield sitting right behind the engine. An engine with a fairly short nacelle behind it is how they were on most planes they were installed on. The turbo buckets were sticking out the side of the cowling and the exhaust blew over stainless steel exhaust panels.
    The three turbos were sticking radially out of the engine case about every 120 degrees or so around the engine (but as I recall not exactly 120 degrees), I think there was a slight offset.
    They were mainly for economy, at altitude, not so much for adding raw horsepower. I think they only added 400 horsepower or so, with lots of weight and complexity added. They added power directly onto the crankshaft through fluid couplers (small torque converters). This meant less fuel consumed for better economy. Most other turbo systems are to compress the air for combustion in the intake system. This engine already had plenty of blower to make power in the cylinders.

    Did the Yak Mr. Awesome have these turbos installed?

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,858

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    The exhaust from the turbos is a real problem for a fuselage with a pilot and windshield sitting right behind the engine. An engine with a fairly short nacelle behind it is how they were on most planes they were installed on. The turbo buckets were sticking out the side of the cowling and the exhaust blew over stainless steel exhaust panels.
    The three turbos were sticking radially out of the engine case about every 120 degrees or so around the engine (but as I recall not exactly 120 degrees), I think there was a slight offset.
    They were mainly for economy, at altitude, not so much for adding raw horsepower. I think they only added 400 horsepower or so, with lots of weight and complexity added. They added power directly onto the crankshaft through fluid couplers (small torque converters). This meant less fuel consumed for better economy. Most other turbo systems are to compress the air for combustion in the intake system. This engine already had plenty of blower to make power in the cylinders.

    Did the Yak Mr. Awesome have these turbos installed?
    Mr Awesome did have the PRTs the first time it appeared at Reno. I don't recall if it still had them after they put the big tail on it or not.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    reno
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: 232

    Didn't the Mike Brown version with Kerch as Crew Chief have the 3350 with fuel injection and PRTs removed? Please correct me if I am wrong.
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

  6. #46

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by boomtown View Post
    Didn't the Mike Brown version with Kerch as Crew Chief have the 3350 with fuel injection and PRTs removed? Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Still had the fuel injection. That was one of Cornell's favorite stories, how when Mike Brown hit a little wake turbulence from the Bear, the tie-rod link between the fuel pumps rocked back and forth to compensate, and there was a loud BOOM and a shedding of parts.
    He would laugh and say that set-up was not good for Reno. Too much turbulence. That's what you get for tailgating!

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    Still had the fuel injection. That was one of Cornell's favorite stories, how when Mike Brown hit a little wake turbulence from the Bear, the tie-rod link between the fuel pumps rocked back and forth to compensate, and there was a loud BOOM and a shedding of parts.
    He would laugh and say that set-up was not good for Reno. Too much turbulence. That's what you get for tailgating!
    Wasn't that engine originally slated to be used on "American Spirit"? I don't think it ever differed significantly in configuration from when that engine was first pilfered from the project. Interesting he would say that about his own idea...

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,858

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    Wasn't that engine originally slated to be used on "American Spirit"? I don't think it ever differed significantly in configuration from when that engine was first pilfered from the project. Interesting he would say that about his own idea...
    For some reason I remember that motor coming off Critical Mass but I could be mistaken.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    For some reason I remember that motor coming off Critical Mass but I could be mistaken.
    Nope. That motor was hung on the Bear, and died after ingesting bondo.

    That motor (as all used on the Bear) did not have the intermediate ("Monkey Motion") section as used on 232...

  10. #50

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    For some reason I remember that motor coming off Critical Mass but I could be mistaken.
    The Critical Mass engine was "borrowed" from Tom Dwelle and won in 2007 on the Rare Bear, after ingesting a pound of bondo from the cowling.
    It got toasted in 2008 when the right gear hung on Rare Bear and Penney used up all the oil cooler spraybar water and almost all the gas on board before he was able to get both gear down and land it.
    In 2009 the engine was taken off of 232 to be cannibalized to build a race motor for Rare Bear. It had about 20 hrs on it since re-build. Absolutely beautiful on the outside. Found rust inside the power section, on the crank and rods and in some cylinders. Had to get a B-29 engine to make the race. Second place behind Stevo.
    Rusty engine rebuilt, put in 232, Hoot holed a piston in qualifying.
    Rebuilt again, back in 232, sneezed and blew the induction off. End of story to this point.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •