Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 232

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
    Didn't the Mike Brown version with Kerch as Crew Chief have the 3350 with fuel injection and PRTs removed? Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Still had the fuel injection. That was one of Cornell's favorite stories, how when Mike Brown hit a little wake turbulence from the Bear, the tie-rod link between the fuel pumps rocked back and forth to compensate, and there was a loud BOOM and a shedding of parts.
    He would laugh and say that set-up was not good for Reno. Too much turbulence. That's what you get for tailgating!

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
      Still had the fuel injection. That was one of Cornell's favorite stories, how when Mike Brown hit a little wake turbulence from the Bear, the tie-rod link between the fuel pumps rocked back and forth to compensate, and there was a loud BOOM and a shedding of parts.
      He would laugh and say that set-up was not good for Reno. Too much turbulence. That's what you get for tailgating!
      Wasn't that engine originally slated to be used on "American Spirit"? I don't think it ever differed significantly in configuration from when that engine was first pilfered from the project. Interesting he would say that about his own idea...

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
        Wasn't that engine originally slated to be used on "American Spirit"? I don't think it ever differed significantly in configuration from when that engine was first pilfered from the project. Interesting he would say that about his own idea...
        For some reason I remember that motor coming off Critical Mass but I could be mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
          For some reason I remember that motor coming off Critical Mass but I could be mistaken.
          Nope. That motor was hung on the Bear, and died after ingesting bondo.

That motor (as all used on the Bear) did not have the intermediate ("Monkey Motion") section as used on 232...

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            The Critical Mass engine was "borrowed" from Tom Dwelle and won in 2007 on the Rare Bear, after ingesting a pound of bondo from the cowling.
            It got toasted in 2008 when the right gear hung on Rare Bear and Penney used up all the oil cooler spraybar water and almost all the gas on board before he was able to get both gear down and land it.
            In 2009 the engine was taken off of 232 to be cannibalized to build a race motor for Rare Bear. It had about 20 hrs on it since re-build. Absolutely beautiful on the outside. Found rust inside the power section, on the crank and rods and in some cylinders. Had to get a B-29 engine to make the race. Second place behind Stevo.
            Rusty engine rebuilt, put in 232, Hoot holed a piston in qualifying.
            Rebuilt again, back in 232, sneezed and blew the induction off. End of story to this point.

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
              Dave intended to run the fuel injection and stock nose case in American Spirit for the cross-country speed record.
              For the 3K and 5K speed runs and Reno it would be an engine without the stock fuel injection and with a slow-turning nose case.

The Rare Bear did not use a carburetor as one would normally think. Dave had his own solution for fuel and air metering. That is all you will get from me on that subject, but trust me, it was unique. Probably one of the first things to go in the dumpster down in Texas.

Comment

[QUOTE=toldjaso;137836]The Critical Mass engine was "borrowed" from Tom Dwelle

Not "borrowed", it was bought and paid for. It was a clone of the rare bare engine, so a bolt on replacement. We were very happy to see it go to a good home. Even happier that they won with it.
                TJ

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                  Dave intended to run the fuel injection and stock nose case in American Spirit for the cross-country speed record.
                  For the 3K and 5K speed runs and Reno it would be an engine without the stock fuel injection and with a slow-turning nose case.

The Rare Bear did not use a carburetor as one would normally think. Dave had his own solution for fuel and air metering. That is all you will get from me on that subject, but trust me, it was unique. Probably one of the first things to go in the dumpster down in Texas.
                  Why the secrecy? If it isn't on the plane anymore what's the harm?
                  "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                    Intellectual property. The person that had the idea has the right to distribute it, or not.

Comment

I know how intellectual property works

[begin rant] But I've never understood reno teams being so tight lipped about the things they are working on. There's the silly season fun for the current year. That's all in fun and I get and enjoy that, but I've tried to be open about older mods. This isn't Red Bull or F1 where the margins are close or the prizes are high. Point being, if one race team gave up all its speed secrets there really isn't a whole lot at stake. If there was more at stake, then Reno would be a much more popular event(and that's part of the problem, but I digress). Even if you divulge the concept that still is up to the individual team to execute the concept. Just like we all know how boil off "works", but that doesn't mean we can all make one that "works". [okay end rant]
                      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                        What I meant was I don't want the current Rare Bear owner mad at me for giving out too many of it's racing secrets. I don't know for certain what it's current configuration is, or what if may ever be again. Sometimes they might put something back on that worked in the past. I can tell you that it is very expensive to try something new on one of these Unlimited race planes. Most of it is proprietary information.

Comment

Sold.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                            Sold.
                            Sold to be restored as stock and to go overseas.
                            remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                              Sold to be restored as stock and to go overseas.
                              Sounds like it is not going overseas.....Not sure about stock-

Comment

Originally posted by rforslund View Post
                                Sounds like it is not going overseas.....Not sure about stock-
                                Well with "flying in the not so distant future", "owner doesn't plan on racing", and "not going to UK", we have more hints, I'm not sure where that leaves us next, lots of guessing still
                                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                                X