Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: 232

  1. #21

    Default Re: 232

    There was a rumor that a piece of the induction cowl broke off and was ingested by the supercharger, resulting in the engine failure. Was that ever confirmed?

  2. #22

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Adkins View Post
    100% agree Russ. This is exactly what I was feeling last night when I read the news. It really makes me think the unlimited division dies a slow death each time someone buys a racer and never races them again (Riff Raff, Ridge Runner III, Furias, Bad Attitude, Steadfast, and now perhaps 232, just to name a few).
    People,people,people.Here we go again.Like Steve Jr.said in his presentation at EAA speakers series,it takes $15g's a lap to run a "super"unlimited at Reno for a week.Sit down and figure out your p&l and you are taking it in the shorts.232 is worth a lot more stock than as a "super" racer.People,you are not paying the bills.You don't have your accountants and lawyers on your ass when all the bills start showing up in October.

    A owner is not there for you,he is there to have fun(it sure isn't the prize money),so when the accountant does the p&l for air race week,the owner starts scratching his head and finally get smart and figures out the plane is worth more stock and it is time to sell and make some money, and put that money into a sport tha'ts also fun but less costly or move to a class in air racing that is fun and you MIGHT put some change in your pocket.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rosamond, CA
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    Rare Bear will look great as a stocker in shiny Navy blue, stars and bars, and a stock R-2800 back on the nose, eh?
    .....you forgot the T, as in TF8F-2! (jus' like Stilletto)
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    Rare Bear will look great as a stocker in shiny Navy blue, stars and bars, and a stock R-2800 back on the nose, eh?
    Wow, you went there. I've never been worried about the Bear being turned into a stocker. Especially since she wasn't a stocker to begin with. I hope the day never comes and I hope no one has even had the thought of turning Rare Bear stock. If she never flies again, I'd rather see it in a museum.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by cragdweller View Post
    There was a rumor that a piece of the induction cowl broke off and was ingested by the supercharger, resulting in the engine failure. Was that ever confirmed?
    Yes, part of the induction trunk was ingested. Don't remember what the damage was though. I would be surprised to hear it junked the entire engine. At the time, it seemed like it was just a hiccup or cough of the engine, but there was obviously more than meets the eye.
    This was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back with Rod and 232, yes? Seems Rod just lost interest with 232 after this incident.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by marada mx3 View Post
    Yes, part of the induction trunk was ingested. Don't remember what the damage was though. I would be surprised to hear it junked the entire engine. At the time, it seemed like it was just a hiccup or cough of the engine, but there was obviously more than meets the eye.
    This was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back with Rod and 232, yes? Seems Rod just lost interest with 232 after this incident.
    That was 2013, in 2014 Rod gave it one last try and it broke during qualifying (making metal?), then Rod hung it up. The damage from 2013 got fixed, now the engine is just junked.

    If you scroll down here a little bit there are very good summaries of '13 and '14 if any of you haven't watched them before (or want a refresher)

    http://www.lewisairlegends.com/videos/
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 03-23-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    1,484

    Default Re: 232

    Is 232 still in the hanger @ Stead? I could see the "Bear" but not 232 thru the limited view door window on Sat.
    Lockheed Bob

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,647

    Default Re: 232

    From what I have seen the engine is junk, basically broken in half internally.
    Not sure how carefully she was put away several years ago but I imagine there would be a LOT of work involved in getting all the various systems resurrected, plus the engine. The result would be a racer that would be hard pressed to be a gold winner against Strega, or a healthy Bear. I know she was the "fastest Sea Fury" and I was a huge fan, but having the money and choosing between 232 and Bear to put my dollars into, it's a no-brainer based on history.
    Someone with deep pockets would have to want to go racing very badly to put that money up and for whatever reason (and they are his personal ones so we are not to judge) that is not Rod Lewis at this time.

  9. #29

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    From what I have seen the engine is junk, basically broken in half internally.
    Not sure how carefully she was put away several years ago but I imagine there would be a LOT of work involved in getting all the various systems resurrected, plus the engine. The result would be a racer that would be hard pressed to be a gold winner against Strega, or a healthy Bear. I know she was the "fastest Sea Fury" and I was a huge fan, but having the money and choosing between 232 and Bear to put my dollars into, it's a no-brainer based on history.
    Someone with deep pockets would have to want to go racing very badly to put that money up and for whatever reason (and they are his personal ones so we are not to judge) that is not Rod Lewis at this time.

    Besides the blowed-up engine, I believe the oil cooler was starting to leak oil into the boil-off system, which causes the oil temp to be too high.
    The induction finally gave it up after years of back-firing on start-up.
    These coolers are about $30,000 or so to repair, and that was in 2010 dollars. Maybe more now.

    This is definitely a rich man's sport, and it is easy for the funding to dry up for other "hobbies" when you constantly break and don't win anything with your expensive machine.
    Last edited by toldjaso; 03-25-2019 at 09:03 AM.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: 232

    Quote Originally Posted by krts View Post
    People,people,people.Here we go again.Like Steve Jr.said in his presentation at EAA speakers series,it takes $15g's a lap to run a "super"unlimited at Reno for a week.Sit down and figure out your p&l and you are taking it in the shorts.232 is worth a lot more stock than as a "super" racer.People,you are not paying the bills.You don't have your accountants and lawyers on your ass when all the bills start showing up in October.

    A owner is not there for you,he is there to have fun(it sure isn't the prize money),so when the accountant does the p&l for air race week,the owner starts scratching his head and finally get smart and figures out the plane is worth more stock and it is time to sell and make some money, and put that money into a sport tha'ts also fun but less costly or move to a class in air racing that is fun and you MIGHT put some change in your pocket.
    Yes, you are correct, "here we go again". Not debating your point that it's crazy for an owner to keep pouring money into a super unlimited racer when it makes more sense financially to sell to someone who wants to return the plane to stock. The point I was making is that each time this does happens it's a blow to the long-term future of the unlimited class.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •