Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look's like the sale is pending on platinum fighters, anyone know where it might head to? Going stock or racing again? Hoping for the latter.....

Re: 232

Originally posted by rforslund View Post
    Look's like the sale is pending on platinum fighters, anyone know where it might head to? Going stock or racing again? Hoping for the latter.....
    Returning to stock and heading overseas is what I am hearing.

Comment

Sad...……..

Comment

Is it correct that 232 hasn't flown (or even been given any love) since the sneeze when Hoot was flying her at Reno? Such a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
          Is it correct that 232 hasn't flown (or even been given any love) since the sneeze when Hoot was flying her at Reno? Such a shame.
          I believe that is the case and has not flown since. It's too bad, could have won last year-

Comment

It just kills me to hear that another of the few Super Unlimited's is going back to stock.

When these planes are purchased by someone of great means and then NOT raced, it is a huge disappointment to the true "fans of the fastest" and (I believe) ultimately contributes to the demise of the Unlimited division and the sport in general.

Comment

100% agree Russ. This is exactly what I was feeling last night when I read the news. It really makes me think the unlimited division dies a slow death each time someone buys a racer and never races them again (Riff Raff, Ridge Runner III, Furias, Bad Attitude, Steadfast, and now perhaps 232, just to name a few).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
                100% agree Russ. This is exactly what I was feeling last night when I read the news. It really makes me think the unlimited division dies a slow death each time someone buys a racer and never races them again (Riff Raff, Ridge Runner III, Furias, Bad Attitude, Steadfast, and now perhaps 232, just to name a few).
                Furias might be back one of these days along with Miss Merced. Eric has been slowly working on Furias with Miss TNT being the current focus-

Comment

Furias might be back one of these days along with Miss Merced. Eric has been slowly working on Furias with Miss TNT being the current focus-
                  I respect what Eric is doing with the T-6, and it's clear he loves Reno, but how long has it been since Miss Merced rounded the pylons? If he waits too much longer with Miss Merced and Furias there might not be anywhere to race them. Not trying to pile on Eric, I'm just worried about the future of the unlimiteds if more and more racers are sold to people who don't race or are turned back to stock.
                  Last edited by Ken Adkins; 03-22-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Would I rather a plane race or not race? The easy answer is race.
                    For me the harder question is, would you rather a plane race and crash or live on as a stocker or in a museum?

Now I know we don't really get that "choice" but I think when we start talking about decisions made by the owner I think it is worth remembering the risk. Look at PM. With 20/20 hindsight I think we all would prefer if PM had taken a year off in 2015 and come back safely in 2016. Super Corsair might be even a better example as I've read they were finding metal in the filters and raced anyway.
                    Last edited by CubersWrist; 03-22-2019, 01:09 PM.
                    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

I don't wish to remind us of planes and pilots gone, but the record of one time Reno racers lost in non racing accidents is not insignificant. Flying old hardware has risks, period. The only flying display to draw me across state lines for 16 out of the last 17 years...Unlimiteds at Reno. In fact, no other "air show" comes close.
                      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                        Sad...……..
                        Rare Bear will look great as a stocker in shiny Navy blue, stars and bars, and a stock R-2800 back on the nose, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
                          I respect what Eric is doing with the T-6, and it's clear he loves Reno, but how long has it been since Miss Merced rounded the pylons? If he waits too much longer with Miss Merced and Furias there might not be anywhere to race them. Not trying to pile on Eric, I'm just worried about the future of the unlimiteds if more and more racers are sold to people who don't race or are turned back to stock.
                          The future of the unlimiteds is definitely a valid concern. In my discussions with Eric and his team it sounded like he wanted to build more T6 time around the pylons before we would see Miss Merced. This might be the year...

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                            Rare Bear will look great as a stocker in shiny Navy blue, stars and bars, and a stock R-2800 back on the nose, eh?
                            A valid plan if they want to go faster .............

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                              Would I rather a plane race or not race? The easy answer is race.
                              For me the harder question is, would you rather a plane race and crash or live on as a stocker or in a museum?

Now I know we don't really get that "choice" but I think when we start talking about decisions made by the owner I think it is worth remembering the risk. Look at PM. With 20/20 hindsight I think we all would prefer if PM had taken a year off in 2015 and come back safely in 2016. Super Corsair might be even a better example as I've read they were finding metal in the filters and raced anyway.
                              Considering accidents like Pecos Bill, the two T-28 accidents recently; I don't think it's fair to really say that Reno has a higher mortality rate for warbirds. Sure it's pushing equipment further than a stocker, but technology is a lot more modern, and safety is taken in the highest regard after 2011. Furias gear collapse, same thing happened to that Fury in Europe, it happens. Precious Metal engine fire? Pecos Bill and Baby Duck are gone (with their pilots) and didn't race at Reno. IT HAPPENS. There are plenty of stock warbirds around, I will surely take the slightly higher chance of 232 being hurt at Reno than being flown as a stocker... BORING.

The future of the unlimiteds is definitely a valid concern. In my discussions with Eric and his team it sounded like he wanted to build more T6 time around the pylons before we would see Miss Merced. This might be the year...
                              It doesn't seem like MM is on the horizon for this year, on their Facebook they've emphasized plenty about Miss TNT racing this year. Really sucks, may as well place in Unlimited Gold than continuously failing to place top 3,4,5,or 6 in T-6, sorry Eric it's a fact...

I think we need to take a step back and realize nothing is confirmed yet. Now I could be VERY wrong in this assumption, but do we really think Rod cares THAT much about $750k and getting that plane out of his inventory (when it's off-site and doesn't even take up hangar space in San Antonio) Rod's worth a billion dollars! $750k is chump change for him, and it might not seem like he cares about Reno, but I'm just not sure he would sell it to someone that wants to break it down and put it back to stock, especially in another country. Just a thought...
                              Last edited by GRNDP51; 03-22-2019, 03:37 PM.
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                              X