P-51D N151X at Mojave 1973

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-51D N151X at Mojave 1973

Just came across this photo of P-51D N151X race #8 supposedly shot at Mojave during the races in 1973. I tried to find info about it in Kinert's book as well as a couple other publications, but no luck. If the photo is indeed shot in 73, the plane was owned by Jack Flaherty who is more known for having fielded race #9 N119H seen here in the back of N151X.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Original-Slide-8-North-American-P-51D-Mustang-N151X.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	242273

So, quite simply. What was the reason the 51 didn't race at this venue? Did Flaherty bring it to any other venue?

And as a bonus question, is Jack Flaherty still around?

T J

Re: P-51D N151X at Mojave 1973

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
    Just came across this photo of P-51D N151X race #8 supposedly shot at Mojave during the races in 1973. I tried to find info about it in Kinert's book as well as a couple other publications, but no luck. If the photo is indeed shot in 73, the plane was owned by Jack Flaherty who is more known for having fielded race #9 N119H seen here in the back of N151X.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]24188[/ATTACH]

So, quite simply. What was the reason the 51 didn't race at this venue? Did Flaherty bring it to any other venue?

And as a bonus question, is Jack Flaherty still around?

T J
    One, that's an attractive paint scheme on that Mustang.

Two, I don't have the answers to your questions, but having a JP4 truck immediately in front of the Mustang makes me a bit nervous (but then again, that's probably just paranoid-old-me).

Comment

Plane is now listed as HO-Hun P51 45-11628 & owned by HO-HUN, INC according to MustangsMustangs, It was raced as #8. Complete history & photos shown.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Jack brought both Mustangs to the '73 Mojave race. Off the top of my head I can't recall if Jack was going to pilot #8 himself, or what, but the airplane did not qualify or race.

Comment

Working...
        X