Who is Flying What in 2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Flying What in 2019?

Sounds like Steveo is back in Strega, which will be fun to see! Voodoo needs a pilot. There are a lot of Reno Mustang pilots that could do it, but it would be cool to see Bernie get a chance. He has qualified in the airplane. Whenever Rare Bear makes its return, if they are short of a Texas pilot, they could let Joel give it a whirl.
    Random Air Blog

Re: Who is Flying What in 2019?

2019 should be an interesting one. Overall the unlimited class should be larger than 2018, and I think that’s what RARA has been going for (rather than focusing on pleading to the top dogs to come). Sure last year wasn’t as exciting without the 500+ planes, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the variety in the unlimited class the past 2 years. Lots of new planes and faces!

That being said, I have zero idea how 2019 is going to play out. Last year we all sorta knew that 5 and 7 were taking the year off, and soon after starting hearing the rumors of Miss A and Goldfinger. It was easy to form an idea of the unlimited gold off of this knowledge, and then the stock additions were a bonus! (Eagle’s Wings, Pretty Polly)...

For 2019 I’ve heard Sawbones, maybe some new mods it’s yet to be seen, no idea about Goldfinger, I think 2019 was the Miss A swan song but plenty have “retired” before. Sanders are a given. Strega rumors hopefully true, just might be kinda lackluster with only Strega, but it could be a good show if Steven tries for some 500+ laps to see if the record is anyway near capable of being beaten. I don’t know if Voodoo needs a pilot, but rather needs a reason to go. Nothing much to prove and POF doesn’t have any race engines anyway. Prepping it by POF would have to be justified in some way (maybe a Clark sponsor down the line...?) I’m really fingers crossed that Rod’s aviation bug will hopefully bite him again this year. He was in NZ for the Mossie flight (which seems a good sign) and realistically that’s his last ongoing restoration taking up aviation funding (that I know of) outside of the Connie which doesn’t seem a priority. Of course Rod not racing Bear isn’t about money, but without any expensive projects being done and a fresh new Mossie to tour around, maybe Bear can get some love too. I’m waiting to see how he supports airshows this year prior to Reno, 2018 was pretty sad considering OSH didn’t get any planes. POF didn’t get a 38 or 47 and Rod usually sends something to fit their theme (Kitty Kitty doesn’t count)

But for now, we wait...
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

...maybe Rod will bring the Mossie...

Comment

Is Rod's Mossie in the USA yet? If not, any idea when it will be?

Comment

Nothing about Jay Consalvi coming back?

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
            Nothing about Jay Consalvi coming back?
            Jay seemed to say it was a “one and done” deal especially since he won. Doesn’t mean that can’t change in the future though
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
              Is Rod's Mossie in the USA yet? If not, any idea when it will be?
              Rod got to go for the final NZ ride with Steve a few days ago and now it’s being taken apart and crated up for shipment, I would assume a few months until she’s back together again in the states. At least in time for Planes of Fame....
              Last edited by GRNDP51; 01-20-2019, 11:57 PM.
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

WOW, I do hope she's at the Planes of Fame airshow. Seeing a Mossie is on my bucket list, and to see one fly would be just that much better Is it going to be shipped to Chino for reassembly?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                  WOW, I do hope she's at the Planes of Fame airshow. Seeing a Mossie is on my bucket list, and to see one fly would be just that much better Is it going to be shipped to Chino for reassembly?
                  Not sure yet, but could see it happening! I think attending POF would only be right, fits right in with the D-Day invasion stripe theme, and Steve is the driving force behind the test flights!
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

How about David Hoover and his Yak?
                    Has he flown it yet?

Comment

In sport class a lot is happening. With class field cap and everyone getting faster, everyone needs to keep pushing just to make the field.

#36 Paul Downing is getting a new firewall forward for his 360. No more giant carb scoop.
                      #40 Darkstar normally aspirated Legacy is getting a new elaborate paintscheme.
                      #42 Kevin Eldredge is still working on Relentless.
                      #130 Olivier Langeard is getting a new engine for his Epsilon and looking to do a ton of work to the rest of the airplane. It will be very exciting to see how much faster that airplane will be in 7 months.
                      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                        In sport class a lot is happening. With class field cap and everyone getting faster, everyone needs to keep pushing just to make the field.

#36 Paul Downing is getting a new firewall forward for his 360. No more giant carb scoop.
                        #40 Darkstar normally aspirated Legacy is getting a new elaborate paintscheme.
                        #42 Kevin Eldredge is still working on Relentless.
                        #130 Olivier Langeard is getting a new engine for his Epsilon and looking to do a ton of work to the rest of the airplane. It will be very exciting to see how much faster that airplane will be in 7 months.
                        Sport Class is really where the action seems to be and it's becoming quite competitive. Congrats to the entire class and here's to a fast, safe and exciting 2019!

Thanks for all your contributions and keeping all of us up to date on all things, Sport!
                        Owen Ashurst
                        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post

Thanks for all your contributions and keeping all of us up to date on all things, Sport!
                          + 1

A big thanks

Comment

In other Sport Gold worthy news, the 'old' Super Legacy Poky has a new owner and might be making a return, and Tom McNerney's Super Legacy is coming along beautifully. I think it has the potential to be the best looking Super Legacy on the ramp from the carbon fiber panel and other details he has added/subtracted.
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Oh! and Conrad Huffstutler just bought "Breathless"
                              "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X