Finally Did it and it Really is Large

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally Did it and it Really is Large

As far as straps go...I've been using a Black Rapid Double Breathe for carrying a D300S with a 70-200 and D500 with 200-500. It's secure and very comfortable. Although you don't have anything to carry stuff in which is handy at a place like Oshkosh where you can be a long way from supplies...it works well at Reno where I'm limited to walking about from one end to the other but vendors are generally close by.

For me the strap vs. backpack depends on where I am and how long I'm lugging them around. If I'm in one place the backpack is handy...If I have to walk a lot without much opportunity to sit it's definitely the strap.

RAD2LTR's comment about the love-hate relationship with the backpack sure fits me as well!!

Enjoy the new toys!

Kenny

Comment

With all the great feedback here, I think I am nearing a choice on one item.

Instead of the Pelican case, I think a backpack may work better for me. I can keep the long lens setup stored in there until I am ready. Plus it will keep my camera gear safe when I hang round the section 3 stands

Does anyone have any experience with Moose Peterson bags, good quality? I think this may be the one.

We are a group of product designers and professional photographers on a mission to design and create the highest quality travel gear for the world’s Venturing Observer.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 01-23-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

When I did the bucket list purchase of the 200-400 Nikon and went to new bag, as mentioned earlier, what I wound up with holds a lot, Juuussssssssttttttt fits in the overhead storage bin if I don't load the outer pockets too much... and prolly biggest of all, as well as being a back pack, it has wheels and a very long telescoping handle..

The backpack/wheel challenge came the first year I had it.. after a day at RENO doing pylons, pits, promenade etc... lol.. I got down to load up stuff into the "backpack" in proper mode (straps and pads out) hooked in and tried to stand up...

NO JOY!

It's wheels for me baby!! But, having both is nice..

That said, when I bought my stuff, I was not aware of Moose's stuff, it may not yet have been available. I have personally met Moose and his lovely wife several times, as far as outdoor photographer dood… he's the stuff! I mean, you look at Moose and you think.. "outdoor photographer".. he is the epitome of the guy you see staking out the eagle nest for hours/days to get... the shot. I have not seen his gear first hand but have heard glowing reports, had it been available when I bought what I wound up with, I'd have given his stuff long hard look.. In the end though, I'd have to say, WHEELS.. I'm so glad my stuff has them! I drag those little gems across gravel, dirt, rough pavement.. you name it.. If you have seen the media/participant lot, I drag it across that gravel from hell daily during the event.. she shows some wear, but at the end of the day. I've dragged it across the desert, stuffed a full size D body hooked to the 200-400 as well as an additional D body and various lenses/accessories. Into overhead bins, pickup trucks, desert floors.. on my back, once... I could not stand up.. Rest of time has been spent dragged behind me in whatever condition I encountered..

I guess what I'm saying is... Going with a LARGE lens in your bag is more like a lifestyle change than just a camera bag change.. You go from getting the most portable stuff you can with your initial setup, then you get hooked on having large glass in your hands.. comes to the point that you get some, then you need to change mind set and get bigger bag.. Glass is heavy, good glass is heavier

Think about wheels..
        Attached Files
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Tried to upload another photo from my phone but it's a "tarmac" bag.. don't have model but again, at my age, WHEELS!

LOL!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well said Wayne.

I guess I have to research more.

Now I will add "wheel" to my old age mental over thinking criteria LOL

In the end like everyone has says as I go along a experience different venues, thing/needs will change.

For now its Reno Air Races - Hill, VOS and general admission/pits.

After the backpack, the next must have will be a shoulder strap of some sort.

I'm also researching mics, since I will use my D7000 for video. I want to start capturing some of the sounds and want a good stereo microphone. Something about big air race radials starting up and idling on the ramp, it's something special. Especially if I can record it so when I watch it at home, my BOSE sound system can duplicate the experience in stereo through the subwoofer and speakers.

Crank that up on a Sunday morning with your coffee

Last edited by Desertdawg; 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
              When I did the bucket list purchase of the 200-400 Nikon and went to new bag, as mentioned earlier, what I wound up with holds a lot, Juuussssssssttttttt fits in the overhead storage bin if I don't load the outer pockets too much... and prolly biggest of all, as well as being a back pack, it has wheels and a very long telescoping handle..

The backpack/wheel challenge came the first year I had it.. after a day at RENO doing pylons, pits, promenade etc... lol.. I got down to load up stuff into the "backpack" in proper mode (straps and pads out) hooked in and tried to stand up...

NO JOY!

It's wheels for me baby!! But, having both is nice..

That said, when I bought my stuff, I was not aware of Moose's stuff, it may not yet have been available. I have personally met Moose and his lovely wife several times, as far as outdoor photographer dood… he's the stuff! I mean, you look at Moose and you think.. "outdoor photographer".. he is the epitome of the guy you see staking out the eagle nest for hours/days to get... the shot. I have not seen his gear first hand but have heard glowing reports, had it been available when I bought what I wound up with, I'd have given his stuff long hard look.. In the end though, I'd have to say, WHEELS.. I'm so glad my stuff has them! I drag those little gems across gravel, dirt, rough pavement.. you name it.. If you have seen the media/participant lot, I drag it across that gravel from hell daily during the event.. she shows some wear, but at the end of the day. I've dragged it across the desert, stuffed a full size D body hooked to the 200-400 as well as an additional D body and various lenses/accessories. Into overhead bins, pickup trucks, desert floors.. on my back, once... I could not stand up.. Rest of time has been spent dragged behind me in whatever condition I encountered..

I guess what I'm saying is... Going with a LARGE lens in your bag is more like a lifestyle change than just a camera bag change.. You go from getting the most portable stuff you can with your initial setup, then you get hooked on having large glass in your hands.. comes to the point that you get some, then you need to change mind set and get bigger bag.. Glass is heavy, good glass is heavier

Think about wheels..
              Great stuff, Wayne. Only thing wrong is...it's Nikon!
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
              X