Finally Did it and it Really is Large

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Did it and it Really is Large

Really large when sitting side-by-side to my D7000 with lens.

I purchased a Nikon D500 with Nikor 200-500 lens.

Still have some things to buy before I can us it, such as:

Shoulder strap
    Storage case
    Memory card
    Monopod or tripod

I want a good quality sealed case to store everything. And, it will work for hauling to venues/outings in the truck.

Couple questions if I may.

Strap - A friend back East uses this https://customslr.com/products/glide-strap
    Anyone use this or better have a better recommendation?

Storage case - I like the Pelican 1510 hard case. Haven't decided on foam or adjustable lined dividers
    Any comments/suggestions from your experiences?

Thanks again.

Re: Finally Did it and it Really is Large

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Really large when sitting side-by-side to my D7000 with lens.

I purchased a Nikon D500 with Nikor 200-500 lens.

Still have some things to buy before I can us it, such as:

Shoulder strap
    Storage case
    Memory card
    Monopod or tripod

I want a good quality sealed case to store everything. And, it will work for hauling to venues/outings in the truck.

Couple questions if I may.

Strap - A friend back East uses this https://customslr.com/products/glide-strap
    Anyone use this or better have a better recommendation?

Storage case - I like the Pelican 1510 hard case. Haven't decided on foam or adjustable lined dividers
    Any comments/suggestions from your experiences?

Thanks again.

Whew!...had me worried there for a second!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
      Whew!...had me worried there for a second!

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OK... now that I've cleaned up the keyboard after snotting it.. I really like this strap http://www.upstrap-pro.com/category/...full-list.html

I have those really nice NOT broad downsloped shoulders that cameras LOVE to slip off at the worst times possible! The grip pad holds better than anything else I've tried..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Don't know if you have more than one body and yes, it's a bit on the geeky side, but...

I purchased this harness prior to setting off on a three week road trip hitting the majority of all the National Parks in AZ, UT, SD, MT and WY. I shoot two Canon 5D Mk III's. Chest mount hold one body with 150-500 Sigma lens, holster holds second body with one of two other lenses (both Sigma Art lenses), all are fairly heavy glass and fast. It worked out really well. No slipping off the shoulder, no constant readjusting and both hands/shoulders are free to move. Could not imagine using a shoulder strap to manage either of them while hiking or just walking around.

You can choose not to get the holster if you only have one camera body. The mount in really easy to use. Camera body as a round metal disc that screws into the tripod hole on the bottom of the body. You simply slide the camera down into the receptacle until it clicks. Safety strap can be attached to the body as well via the body's sholder strap receptacle. To release the body from the mount, just turn the body 90 degrees and lift. Done.

I recommend it highly. Saves the shoulders, spreads the weight across both sides of your body evenly. Plus, if you're also carrying a backpack, there's no interference between the back pack and the harness, where as if you're using a shoulder strap it can be a pain in the arse.

Food for thought...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...a_harness.html
          Last edited by Air Boss; 01-11-2019, 09:55 AM.
          Owen Ashurst

Comment

My plan for the air races is using the D7000 (with flash & ext. mic) for in the pits. Plus I want to start capturing some short video of engine start ups, take-offs and fly-bys. Capturing some of the unique sounds in stereo is the goal. The D500 will be for ramp and flying shots.

I do not want to carry a back pack around and change lenses in the field. We'll see how comfortable it will be carrying both.

You guys are really helping me with your first had experience.

In the end, is all going to be a lot of photographic fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
              My plan for the air races is using the D7000 (with flash & ext. mic) for in the pits. Plus I want to start capturing some short video of engine start ups, take-offs and fly-bys. Capturing some of the unique sounds in stereo is the goal. The D500 will be for ramp and flying shots.

I do not want to carry a back pack around and change lenses in the field. We'll see how comfortable it will be carrying both.

You guys are really helping me with your first had experience.

In the end, is all going to be a lot of photographic fun.

Atta way! Thing I like about the harness is if you're on day-long shoots with two bodies, the wear and tear on your shoulders and back is greatly reduced and your "backpack" can be very small and contain other essentials, like snacks, water, accessories. etc. and be out of the way entirely. It's all a matter of perference and no doubt you'll find that comfort zone that works best for you.

BTW, know this may be blasphemy given you're talking Nikon, but if anyone knows of someone who'd be interested in a Canon 50D body with extras I'm selling mine.

Enjoy! Look forward to seeing more of your work, Dawg. If you plan on attending PRS be great to chat.
              Owen Ashurst

Comment

I think you are really going to love that big lens. It is worth calibrating it to the body however.

Shooting two bodies at once is both great and horrible. I just use the factory neck straps and find that I end up tangled when going from one body to the other and back. Yes, the D500 with the 200-500 will get heavy. My solution ended up being a backpack style case. It was the only way I could put the D810 with the 200-500 in something without having to pull the lens off. The upside was that the backpack I have has a chest strap that I can hook the lens tripod foot into when I was just walking around. With the 810 out, there is plenty of room for the D600 and the wide angle lens, as well as food and or drinks in the backpack. I know you don't want a backpack, but it does come in handy.

For wandering around the pits with both camera's out, it was tough. Without a doubt better than stopping to change lenses, but not necessarily faster since one neck strap would be under the other and after going back and forth between camera's they inevitably got tangled up.

I haven't tried a holster type setup, but I think I'd still want a neck strap on the camera just in case it slipped out of my hands for some reason. (Yes it will crash into the other camera most likely, but that might be better than into the ground. The 200-500 is a beast, and does get in the way at times when shooting the other body. Its so big that wearing it on your hip might hinder movement. With a small lens, no big deal, but when you have 3 feet of camera, it could be an issue.

I haven't found a good solution, just one that more or less sort of works. (The backpack). Without a doubt its a love/hate solution.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                  I think you are really going to love that big lens. It is worth calibrating it to the body however.

Shooting two bodies at once is both great and horrible. I just use the factory neck straps and find that I end up tangled when going from one body to the other and back. Yes, the D500 with the 200-500 will get heavy. My solution ended up being a backpack style case. It was the only way I could put the D810 with the 200-500 in something without having to pull the lens off. The upside was that the backpack I have has a chest strap that I can hook the lens tripod foot into when I was just walking around. With the 810 out, there is plenty of room for the D600 and the wide angle lens, as well as food and or drinks in the backpack. I know you don't want a backpack, but it does come in handy.

For wandering around the pits with both camera's out, it was tough. Without a doubt better than stopping to change lenses, but not necessarily faster since one neck strap would be under the other and after going back and forth between camera's they inevitably got tangled up.

I haven't tried a holster type setup, but I think I'd still want a neck strap on the camera just in case it slipped out of my hands for some reason. (Yes it will crash into the other camera most likely, but that might be better than into the ground. The 200-500 is a beast, and does get in the way at times when shooting the other body. Its so big that wearing it on your hip might hinder movement. With a small lens, no big deal, but when you have 3 feet of camera, it could be an issue.

I haven't found a good solution, just one that more or less sort of works. (The backpack). Without a doubt its a love/hate solution.

Will
                  Good stuff, Will. All good points for sure. For me, after stuggling as you say with the straps, bodies, etc. I've found the chest harness to be the way to go, without question. A 5D MK III, battery grip and the 150-500 weighs in at around 8.5lbs. Found that having that slung over one shoulder while having the other body at about 6+lbs on the other was, after a long day in the sun (or cold!), exhausting and painful. Another aspect is that if I"m shooting with the wide body (taken from the holster) with the "beast" still hanging from my chest, it's low enough to stay out of the way and of no concern about swinging around if you're panning or something.

As for the safety factor re: dropping the body, the harness has two reinforced nylon straps that clip onto the harness on one end and the camera body on the other (where you'd tie in the strap). They're long enough so they don't interfere with grabbing the bodies or panning. Put on many miles on foot with these and never had an issue, or even a concern. It's actually comforting to know that if I lose my grip the camera will won't hit anything except my leg.

As for the backpack I concur as well...it's love/hate. I've had a Mountainsmith Anvil backpack and found it pretty comforable and spacious enough for two bodies, three lenses, chargers, spare bats, cables, and assorted other crap that one collects! Especially like the access to the bodies even with lenses attached. Top access is for wide-angle, lower side access panel lets you slide the body out sideways with the 150-500 attached and ready to go.

Tried loading an image for you but still having difficulties in that regard. Reduced file size to under 500k. Try to attach and it just doesn't show up in my tray...tried to insert into the body here and nothing...ARGH!
                  Last edited by Air Boss; 01-11-2019, 06:46 PM.
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Will
                    Will,

You guys have given me more things to consider before I decide. I may get a combination of things to make this comfortable for a day of walking through the pits, seat time in the stands, and of course hanging out at the wall.
                    Like most of us, by the time you park and then walk in, your committed for the day with what you carry on your shoulders.

Thanks for the tip on calibration.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 01-12-2019, 08:20 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

At Oshkosh last year I was pretty happy to have the backpack since I was on the ramp for a full week, often for 10+ hours a day. I'd pack drinks and food in the backpack and head out shooting. I don't know how many miles a day I ended up walking, but it was a few. When I'd set up in one place, I'd just drop the backpack and no big deal. When walking from one place to another, it was nice to be able to hook the lens foot in the chest strap of the backpack. It stayed close at hand, but wasn't in my hands the whole time. No, it wasn't ideal for most of the time, but it was flexible in that I could put other useful stuff in it if the camera wasn't in it.

Its proven itself the past few years for when I've ridden up the hillside at Reno with my chair slung under it, and drinks and food in it along with the camera. Yeah it was heavy and funny to see, but it was a good solution for getting everything up there in one trip.

Will

Comment

LOL.. I'll give you one more thing to think about..

Before I bought my Nikor 200-400 I had a pretty manageable camera bag, after that, my camera bag became more of a life style change than a lens/camera bag upgrade!

I wound up buying the bag that some of you might see me towing around, it holds:

2 Nikon full size D bodies
                        1 Nikon 200-400 zoom lens
                        1 Nikon 24-120
                        1 Nikon Fisheye
                        1 can't remember brand or zoom 10-20 zoom or something in there.. lol
                        2 Nikon speedlights
                        waaay 2 many AA batteries
                        various chargers and superfluous weight...

Long story short.. this wheeled cart also turns into a backpack.. after a day out on the pylons dragging it around, and when back in the pits, it seemed that using the backpack feature might be a good idea... well, my over 60 body decided to sit down with that backpack on, I mean, down on the ground sit down, like where else is there to sit when it's busy at RENO.. well, I could not stand up!

It was like the little brother in Christmas Story... "WAAAAA I CAN"T GET UPPP!!!"

Anyway... it's kind of easy to get carried away and a man has to know his limitations after all

LOL.. I just remembered, I've got another zoom in there.. can't remember what it is, but the point is, the bag is REALLY HEAVY!!!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Tried loading an image for you but still having difficulties in that regard. Reduced file size to under 500k. Try to attach and it just doesn't show up in my tray...tried to insert into the body here and nothing...ARGH!
                          STILL???

I've not forgotten you AJ..

Gonna set you up with an FTP account, if you don't mind, then have you upload an image you can't get to take, I'll try it and see what happens.. if you upload to FTP image will be identical so... I should see same problem and be able to diagnose and...

This software has a user gallery feature that I've yet to explore, I think it should show in your personal space somewhere... anyway, if someone smarter than me figures it out and can get into their gallery feature, let me know!

The gallery would give each of you a place to display your photos, and I think it shows everything you've ever uploaded previously as well.. nice feature, we need to learn to use it!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            STILL???

I've not forgotten you AJ..

Gonna set you up with an FTP account, if you don't mind, then have you upload an image you can't get to take, I'll try it and see what happens.. if you upload to FTP image will be identical so... I should see same problem and be able to diagnose and...

This software has a user gallery feature that I've yet to explore, I think it should show in your personal space somewhere... anyway, if someone smarter than me figures it out and can get into their gallery feature, let me know!

The gallery would give each of you a place to display your photos, and I think it shows everything you've ever uploaded previously as well.. nice feature, we need to learn to use it!

Yeah, strange. Tried to load via attachment. No error message received, upload went to 100%, but it never showed up in the tray. Then tried to "Insert Image" into the message itself...no error message but no image either.
                            Owen Ashurst

Comment

Yeah, strange. Tried to load via attachment. No error message received, upload went to 100%, but it never showed up in the tray. Then tried to "Insert Image" into the message itself...no error message but no image either.
                              This is exactly what I see when I don't get a random error. I can't get my images small enough unless they are super cropped and saved as a low resolution pic. (I guess its the hidden curse of the 24 and 36 mp camera...)

Will

Comment

Working...
                              X