Dead Cow Lakebed, NV - 2018 High Sierra STOL Drag Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Cow Lakebed, NV - 2018 High Sierra STOL Drag Races

Looks like a lot of fun, especially the flying around the playas.

More than 400 aircraft, including Draco, fly into the Dead Cow dry lakebed airstrip in the High Sierras outside Reno for the STOL drag race, backcountry flyi...

On my to do list for 2019!

Re: Dead Cow Lakebed, NV - 2018 High Sierra STOL Drag Races

The 2018 High Sierra STOL drag race finals.

The Flying Cowboys DOMINATE the finals! Trent Palmer comes out of nowhere with amazing results! See DRACO, Mike Patey’s MONSTER Bushplane in this exciting A...

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
      The 2018 High Sierra STOL drag race finals.

The Flying Cowboys DOMINATE the finals! Trent Palmer comes out of nowhere with amazing results! See DRACO, Mike Patey’s MONSTER Bushplane in this exciting A...

...coming to an air race venue near you...

Comment

I'd watch this for "filler" at RENO BIG TIME!

I'd go further and would love to see the STOL competitions at RENO. That sort of thing would really get folks interested in flying, which should be part of why we have the event in the first place isn't it

I love the edit feature, it gives me a chance to go in and nit pik my punctuation... LOL...
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

there were -2- of them on display this past year (2018) right in front of me in section 1 of the GA bleachers between the bleachers and the box seats. Unfortunately, the wings blocked some of the view from where I sit as my legs don'y allow me to climb up in the bleachers very far.
          May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            I'd watch this for "filler" at RENO BIG TIME!

I'd go further and would love to see the STOL competitions at RENO. That sort of thing would really get folks interested in flying, which should be part of why we have the event in the first place isn't it

I love the edit feature, it gives me a chance to go in and nit pik my punctuation... LOL...
            They are bringing the STOL drags to Reno next year. It was quietly announced during the races last year, but became fully official shortly afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              They are bringing the STOL drags to Reno next year. It was quietly announced during the races last year, but became fully official shortly afterward.
              The particulars are being vetted by multiple key stakeholders. It is a very unique event and has a farily large social media following. Stay tuned...
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

The STOL drags are a good show and have been getting better every year. I think even diehard unlimited pylon racing geeks will find it interesting. Real racing in reasonably affordable airplanes. (OK, not Draco) One-on-one heats of about 90 seconds. They can run multiple heats back to back and quickly be clear to start another pylon race, when that race is back on the ground, run some more STOL drags. (this is purely my speculation of how it could go)

The back and forth nature of the race is a great equalizer between some pretty dissimilar airplanes. There is as much advantage to speed as there is being able to stop. Google STOLdrags and/or Flying cowboys and/or High Sierra Fly-In and check out some of the videos. These guys are doing the social media thing with a growing following and will surely draw some new people to the races.

Its been fun to watch this evolve out on the lakebed over the last few years. I think Reno will be a great venue for it too. Surely better filler than the Saab demo team...

Comment

This sort of "act" for the in-between times is going to be PERFECT fit for RENO Air Races!!

I think that every aviation event ought to have, at least something that puts butts in the seats.. of AIRPLANES! We either improve the numbers for GA participation or the activity has less and less chance of being something that anyone can do.. By that I mean, even of you turn someone's head in the direction of favoring aviation, rather than having them think that GA's health doesn't mean much to them, to someone who is likely to vote for and support GA rather than how most folks think of it.

The more people who use GA, the cheaper it is for each person.. what I'm trying to say is, GA could easily be priced out of reach of even the few who now fly if it does not have continuing support from the general public..

Am I making sense?? My company name "Airport Fence" is based on the entire saying "The future of aviation lies in the hands of the kid at the airport fence" every person in every seat at an airshow or Air Race is that kid...
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                  X