X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My friend...

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    "Dirt has thickness."
    If I didn't know that quote came from Dave, I would have sworn that was a Ralphisim.

Comment

Sad to hear.

Tyson Rininger did a photoshoot back in 2009 of Rare Bear and crew.

There are some nice candid shots of Dave in the series.

Comment

Great photos of a great crew & a one of a kind "RARE BEAR". Lots of memories.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

I've been away from my computer for a couple days and just read this... I am absolutely crushed and completely shocked! I certainly never thought of Dave in any way in bad health, goodspeed Dave on his way up to the rest of the team...

As we get older, our list of old friends grows ever shorter.. I am completely without further words!

Never forget "secret spy bitch missions" at Stead late at night!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
            I never asked for gory details, I considered Dave a distant friend and hearing he passed away is pretty shocking. If I've offended anyone I apologize, that was certainly not my intention. I've lost quite a few friends in recent years and at least having a vague idea of the circumstances helps to deal with it.
            I get it completely... when Superman dies, we all want to know HOW! You are only human and... well, I get it! It was the first thing that came to my mind also.. It helps wrap one's mind around something shocking like this loss... damn...
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
              I get it completely... when Superman dies, we all want to know HOW! You are only human and... well, I get it! It was the first thing that came to my mind also.. It helps wrap one's mind around something shocking like this loss... damn...

I figured at some point we should start listing "Daveisim's". John Slack had a great one about the thickness of dirt.

One of my favorite Dave quotes was when we discussed what we and/or other race teams have tried in order to make it go faster. He liked to smile and say "No one can F*&k you like you can F*&k yourself!!", meaning it does not always work out the way you thought it would, and then he would tell you about a race team that tried that already, and what the results were.

Comment

Re: My friend... Blue Skies Dave Cornell

In 2010 in the middle of chasing Gremlins Rod stated "I really look forward to this becoming turn-key operation"
                Dave's immediate response was "That'll only happen when you turn the keys over to the new owner"

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                  In 2010 in the middle of chasing Gremlins Rod stated "I really look forward to this becoming turn-key operation"
                  Dave's immediate response was "That'll only happen when you turn the keys over to the new owner"

Yeah, I remember that. It was great!!

Comment

One thing I remember Dave saying more than once was "The longest distance between two points is a short cut". I don't know if he coined the phrase but he absolutely believed it.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                      One thing I remember Dave saying more than once was "The longest distance between two points is a short cut". I don't know if he coined the phrase but he absolutely believed it.
                      True that.

Also, when we were working on the aft turtle deck for the Racer (the plane that was first known as American Spirit), I was commenting on how the top was round, and then the sides curved in and then back out and blended into the fuselage sides. I said it sure looked sexy, but that it was going to be a big challenge to design a sliding canopy frame that would actually work, and seal tight.
                      He said "yeah, everybody wants to put those kind of turtle decks on their race planes". But that when his aerodynamics guy saw it the first thing he said to Dave was that "The shortest distance between two points is still a straight line". Meaning that it was a higher drag design than a straighter design would have been, (such as the one on a razorback Mustang). More surface area with the extra curves.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                        True that.

Also, when we were working on the aft turtle deck for the Racer (the plane that was first known as American Spirit), I was commenting on how the top was round, and then the sides curved in and then back out and blended into the fuselage sides. I said it sure looked sexy, but that it was going to be a big challenge to design a sliding canopy frame that would actually work, and seal tight.
                        He said "yeah, everybody wants to put those kind of turtle decks on their race planes". But that when his aerodynamics guy saw it the first thing he said to Dave was that "The shortest distance between two points is still a straight line". Meaning that it was a higher drag design than a straighter design would have been, (such as the one on a razorback Mustang). More surface area with the extra curves.
                        I'm pretty sure Dave was saying to just try to do it right the first time so hopefully you won't need to do it again. He never seemed to be a fan of half-assed work that might get the job done versus a solid solution that required more work but was more likely to be successful.

Comment

I have yet to build the courage to call Dave's numbers to speak with his wonderful life partner.. since I'm in the state of Oregon, USA, I have a good chance of being able to attend.. IF, there is to be a memorial gathering for Mr. David Cornell

A man who was loved by more people than anyone could imagine..

A genius in the art of going fast..

Dave Cornell..

Let me know.. OK!?...
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I added a few words to the thread title to honor and allow those who loved him to find this thread about Dave.

I'm sure there would be no objection..

I still can't believe we're having this discussion!

How many more?

Love you all!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                              I have yet to build the courage to call Dave's numbers to speak with his wonderful life partner.. since I'm in the state of Oregon, USA, I have a good chance of being able to attend.. IF, there is to be a memorial gathering for Mr. David Cornell

A man who was loved by more people than anyone could imagine..

A genius in the art of going fast..

Dave Cornell..

Let me know.. OK!?...
                              I talked to Bonnie again this morning, mention people have been asking. At this point she’s thinking of something on the first part of March, I’ll let people know.

Comment

I sure wish someone would write books about all these now passed away great people, to keep the memory's alive.
                                So many are gone now. And so very sad that some of us never got to meet or know them. Huge loss to us that are interested in what they have accomplished.

Comment

Working...
                                X