My friend... Blue Skies Dave Cornell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend... Blue Skies Dave Cornell

I just learned that my good friend and former Crewchief Dave Cornell has passed on.
    Please remember him and Bonnie in your thoughts and prayers.

Re: My friend...

I am in shock, just got the call. Dave was one of my best friends. In the time I knew him we spoke several times a month and the greatest tribute I can give is that there was never a conversation where I didn't learn something new.

Angels will be setting records soon

GodSpeed

Comment

That's sad news. Was he sick? I enjoyed the time I spent with him, almost none of which had anything to do with air racing. I do recall being invited to look at American Spirit when he had the project in a barn in his backyard in the San Fernando Valley and being greeted by two big Rhodesian Ridgebacks. He was also instrumental in helping me get my Jack Russel, his sisters dog was the father and I was kind of given a pass to the pick of the litter. He'll be missed.

Comment

A tremendously sad day.

Godspeed my friend.

Comment

My head is blown up, I'm shattered. Dave and I had been communicating recently about steam locomotives, since that is what I have been doing now days. Dave's intelligence and knowledge of so many, many, things was astounding. I'm going to go cry now.
          John
          John Slack

Comment

I'm going to be blunt. Can someone give at least a nonspecific reason for Daves demise? Did he buckle **** on a cafe racer (he liked those)? Perhaps he hit a redwood head on in his F-150? Maybe he stood on his head for longer than is recommended and gave himself a stroke, but I doubt it. Speculation lets active minds wander, a tiny bit of certainty has a tendency to sooth a restless mind.

Comment

Bonnie has lost the love of her life, She and Dave had a marriage we should all aspire to.
              He has left behind countless friends that are all in shock and hurting.
              The loss to air racing at a competitive level is insurmountable.
              His theoretical and practical knowledge is irreplaceable.

And you want Gory details...……………….

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                I'm going to be blunt. Can someone give at least a nonspecific reason for Daves demise? Did he buckle **** on a cafe racer (he liked those)? Perhaps he hit a redwood head on in his F-150? Maybe he stood on his head for longer than is recommended and gave himself a stroke, but I doubt it. Speculation lets active minds wander, a tiny bit of certainty has a tendency to sooth a restless mind.

What I was told was he had flu-like symptoms for a few days.

I did not really want to say what happened, because I do not have first-hand knowledge of the details, and don't like to put out wrong information.
                And it is hard to type anything with these tears in my eyes.

I posted it here because his dream was Air Racing, and there are a lot of people who knew him that read this thread, and I know they will miss him. I know I do.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                  Bonnie has lost the love of her life, She and Dave had a marriage we should all aspire to.
                  He has left behind countless friends that are all in shock and hurting.
                  The loss to air racing at a competitive level is insurmountable.
                  His theoretical and practical knowledge is irreplaceable.

And you want Gory details...……………….
                  I never asked for gory details, I considered Dave a distant friend and hearing he passed away is pretty shocking. If I've offended anyone I apologize, that was certainly not my intention. I've lost quite a few friends in recent years and at least having a vague idea of the circumstances helps to deal with it.
                  Last edited by knot4u; 12-31-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                    What I was told was he had flu-like symptoms for a few days.

I did not really want to say what happened, because I do not have first-hand knowledge of the details, and don't like to put out wrong information.
                    And it is hard to type anything with these tears in my eyes.

I posted it here because his dream was Air Racing, and there are a lot of people who knew him that read this thread, and I know they will miss him. I know I do.
                    Thank you.

Comment

I was never so fortunate to have met Mr. Cornell and as a result cannot call him a friend except to the extent we are all "friends" in this business of air racing, regardless of our individual roles.

His name is legendary to me (not to mention the entire sport) and I cannot imagine the pain of this loss on those who were honored to have called him friend, colleague, competitor...family.

My deepest condolences to his family and circle of friends. I am certain his memory will live on long after...

CAVU, Mr. Cornell. RIP.
                      Last edited by Air Boss; 12-31-2018, 01:18 PM.
                      Owen Ashurst
                      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                        I am in shock, just got the call. Dave was one of my best friends. In the time I knew him we spoke several times a month and the greatest tribute I can give is that there was never a conversation where I didn't learn something new.

Angels will be setting records soon

GodSpeed
                        I'm in TOTAL shock.Alby and I spent 2 days with him and Bonnie this past May.He and Bonnie were such a great couple and really loved the life they were living.Fishing,researching new projects,working and experimenting on new ideas in the workshop,and of course the gourmet cooking.He cooked 2 of the best stone oven homemade pizzas I've ever had.
                        Him and Bonnie where head over heals in love with each other.
                        Chris is right.Any time spent with Dave was always an experience where you would always learn something.
                        You will be missed my friend.Go and set some records in the beyond.

Comment

Dave and I always reflected on the guys that just raced to be "A Race Pilot", and never understood that racing was all about winning. He taught me a billion different things, many of which I reference everyday. Everyday since I was learning to seriously be a machinist and an engine builder I think back on the first lesson Dave taught me. I am going to pass it on to all of you now, for it is both magnificently simple and complex at the same time and applies to everything. Dave's first lesson to me was "Dirt has thickness." Simple and to the point, that thickness can be less than 0.0005" or more than 0.125" thickness it doesn't matter what the thickness is. It doesn't belong in a precision atmosphere.

Next year I would have known Dave and Bonnie for forty years.
                          Last edited by BellCobraIV; 12-31-2018, 11:04 PM.
                          John Slack

Comment

Sorry to hear of Dave's passing, called my dad tiday to tell him and he was in total shock, we knew Dave and Bonnie for nearly 30 years, he will be missed, Clint and Ski

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X