reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reno

any one know how many different paint schemes rare has worn over the years??

Re: reno

In 1969 it was zinc yellow and #70. "Able Cat"

In 1970 and through San Diego 1971 it was yellow with blue and orange trim and #77. "Able Cat" in '70. "Phoenix I" in '71.

Reno 1971 it was repainted white with purple trim and purple band on left wing. It retained this same basic paint scheme through 1975. "Phoenix I" at Reno '71. "Phast Phoenix" at Reno '72. "U.S. Thrift 7 1/4% Special" at all three 1973 races. "Omni Special" in 1974. "Aircraft Cylinder & Turbine" in 1975.

Mojave 1976 & Reno 1980 was repainted white with the 'tri-purple' arrow down the fuselage. "Spirit of 77" at Mojave '76. "Rare Bear (first use of the name) Reno '80.

Reno '81 the top two lighter shades of purple were removed and just the dark purple arrow down the fuselage.

Reno '83 and Bakersfield '85 was all white with purple race number and lettering, and Bear cartoon on tail.

Reno '85 was white with the purple arrow down the fuselage and Bear cartoon on tail.

Reno '86 was white with Copper Frost and purple trim arrow down the fuselage and band on left wing.

Reno '87 through Reno '91 white with Copper Frost and purple trim paint scheme layout similar to 1971-75 scheme.

Reno '92 the Copper Frost was replaced with metallic green and purple trim. Thomason Aircraft 'roundel' on aft fuselage.

Reno '94 through Reno '06 the metallic green was changed to gold with purple trim.

Reno '07 the unfortunate white and purple 'flame' paint scheme.

Reno '08 purple and gold

Reno '09 through Reno '12 overall purple with orange/yellow/white checkerboard "swoop" and wings, 'RARE BEAR' across bottom of wings.

Reno '13 top of wings painted overall orange.

Reno '15 cowling painted all purple. Fuselage 'swoop' moved back on fuselage.

Comment

The two best paint schemes, in my humble opinion, are the the orange and white for historic reasons and the gold and white because it was subdued. The airplane looked radical enough without a flashy paint job and the gold and white just seemed to suit it.

Comment

AKA as the ‘Sperm’ paint with a bad bondo job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC1C81B7-FBED-40C5-9456-38525745FB28.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	229231

Comment

The one year I’ve missed since 04, I’m glad. What were they thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24012[/ATTACH]
            The legendary stuck throttle year!! Should’ve left her all white....
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
              The legendary stuck throttle year!! Should’ve left her all white....
              You shouldn’t farm out your airplane cowling to auto body shop.

Comment

Just found this

remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Who did the engineering for the installation of the 3350 originally on Rarebear? Who built the motor mount, I assume it's a different mount then the 2800 takes. Was it Lyle that had the idea of putting a bigger engine in it, or someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                    Who did the engineering for the installation of the 3350 originally on Rarebear? Who built the motor mount, I assume it's a different mount then the 2800 takes. Was it Lyle that had the idea of putting a bigger engine in it, or someone else?
                    As far as I know the 3350 was Lyles idea and Bill Hickle engineered and built the engine mount.

Comment

That 1969 view looks green...was painted with zinc-chromate primer....but was yellow.

Or is something wrong with my monitor ?

(Pic at Chino-Aerosport 1969)

Click image for larger version

Name:	SFW-cz114-13.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	229233

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24012[/ATTACH]
                        Should have called it BOMBOJOB! for what it did to the effort.

Hey, I still need a new Sofia decal.. actually.. three?? The one I have which is on my '97 Silverado is almost unreadable, I'm going to be spending a lot of time from now until I'm unable (nothing coming that I know about other than normal I have to recognize that I'd better do it in this coming decade!!)

Crap, I went and did attempted thread hijack!

LOL.. losing my mind! Silverado is my 5,400 lb "toad" need one for it too, I mean, primarily need one for trucker also one for coach!! One just for spare..

Again... MISS YOU@@

Miss you guys!!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39 View Post
                          That 1969 view looks green...was painted with zinc-chromate primer....but was yellow.

Or is something wrong with my monitor ?

(Pic at Chino-Aerosport 1969)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24014[/ATTACH]
                          Looks yeller to me, but LOOK at that spinner!!!

Pretty amazing what the racing community comes up with given lack of $$$

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                            Wow, I don't know how much of that information was included with the website package that I turned over to Rod Lewis when his media group took over the rarebear.com domain, certainly everything that I had on the server... I just can't remember how much unpublished stuff went with it.. I also don't know how much of it they now have available..

But I can guarantee you that John Slack could bend your ear for days on end on this subject!

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                              Should have called it BOMBOJOB! for what it did to the effort.

Hey, I still need a new Sofia decal.. actually.. three?? The one I have which is on my '97 Silverado is almost unreadable, I'm going to be spending a lot of time from now until I'm unable (nothing coming that I know about other than normal I have to recognize that I'd better do it in this coming decade!!)

Crap, I went and did attempted thread hijack!

LOL.. losing my mind! Silverado is my 5,400 lb "toad" need one for it too, I mean, primarily need one for trucker also one for coach!! One just for spare..

Again... MISS YOU@@

Miss you guys!!
                              Text me a address, I’ll send you some NASA stickers also. 👍

Comment

Working...
                              X