Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Airshow Stuff: An Informal Survey of AAFO'ers

Default Re: Airshow Stuff: An Informal Survey of AAFO'ers

Keep 'em coming, folks. All good feedback.

In general, a TBird "Local" show requires about :75 of schedule time, a "Remote" show needs :45. Yes, Reno is just that, Wayne. It's an Air Race...that is "interrupted" from time to time by an air show! At least that's the sentiment of many who attend. Reno is not your father's air show, that's for sure.

It's what makes it so interesting and challenging.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

Something that has bugged me for years is that when I mention that I attend RENO to anyone who has not been there, they all reply something like "oh yea, they have a big airshow there don't they" for some reason, just the word AirShow drives me nuts... LOL.. maybe, as others have told me, I'm just nuts all the time....
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Something that has bugged me for years is that when I mention that I attend RENO to anyone who has not been there, they all reply something like "oh yea, they have a big airshow there don't they" for some reason, just the word AirShow drives me nuts... LOL.. maybe, as others have told me, I'm just nuts all the time....
    Here that as well...or the always welcome, "Oh, that Red Bull thing, right?" I usually take those situations as an opportunity to educate and invite. Just tryin' to spread the gospel!
    Owen Ashurst
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA

If thereís anyone that wouldnít go to Reno because the Thunderbirds wonít have a ground show at Stead, they need to get their head straightened out
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Back in 2016 Blue Angel #7 blew a tire on arrival, which was late anyway, and blocked the active runway. At least -1- heat race had to be scrubbed as the result from the late arrival, let alone the blocked runway.

As long as they are not parked in front of the crowds like the Patriots were early in the week this year blocking the view of the Home Pylon from the lower rows of the GA Bleachers and some of the box seats.

They could at least do a slow speed circuit around the pylons........
    Last edited by kennsmithf2g; 11-29-2018 at 09:10 PM.
    May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    they sure mess up media operations when they are there!
    I'll second that one, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kennsmithf2g View Post
    Back in 2016 Blue Angel #7 blew a tire on arrival, which was late anyway, and blocked the active runway. At least -1- heat race had to be scrubbed as the result from the late arrival, let alone the blocked runway.

As long as they are not parked in front of the crowds like the Patriots were early in the week this year blocking the view of the Home Pylon from the lower rows of the GA Bleachers and some of the box seats.

They could at least do a slow speed circuit around the pylons........
    To be sure, the issues in 2016 were problematic from more than just a closed runway standpoint. Unfortunate but fortunately, an anomaly. Ramp space can be an issue and the Patriot issue was addressed promptly and without further incident. As for "running the pylons", that's highly unlikely....highly unlikely...as in a Trump/Clinton ticket in 2020 unlikely.
    Owen Ashurst
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA

Iíve never enjoyed the ground ops and usually take that as my signal to do something else.

I also had the same thought as a previous post. Having them launch and recover once per day from Reno is free advertising which is hard to miss. I actually know this from experience: I grew up several miles south of the Air Force Academy football stadium. Every home game aircraft will orbit over town then perform a flyby before the game. There is no ignoring the fact that kickoff is about to occur.
    Same goes for the Thunderbirds who come once per year for graduation but fly out of Peterson AFB on the other side of town.

What I miss is back in the day, Virginia street was closed off and some of the older race planes were parked in the street for public viewing. Another thought for good advertising, would be having a permanent display in the airport terminal featuring an aircraft such as Me Awesome or some other interesting plane that will probably never raise its' gear in flight again.

It's nice in Port St Lucie

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sence View Post
    Iíd rather see them off site. Another 30min on top of their forever show in the air is a total waste of time. I honestly would rather see military demos any day of the week. Jet teams are for the Weekend Wally air race fan and not the hardcores. I guess in my perfect scenario of them being there, they would fly in from Reno but land at Stead and be there for the kids to see up close. Maybe some autographs and photos with the kids type thing. Flying out of Reno might actually get some locals to head out to Stead once their kids see them flying over the city. Itís well known that most people that live here have zero interest in the races. You get the kids tugging on dadís shirt to go out there and you might actually increase attendance. Have them do a couple laps around the city before heading to the show box. Has that ever been done?

That started off a little aggressive. Sorry.
    Owen, That being said, yes , they take an enormous amount of time that the event cannot afford as far as ramp time. With the engine runs that Nobody can taxi behind, the FOD walk which closes the ramp, and the Extreme sensitivity of the engines to debris (prompting the FOD walk) Too much time is needed to sterilize the area. The event is Too Dynamic to allow this. The Unlimiteds Always close the day and pushing back 1.2 hrs would be a hardship. Don't forget that they have 'Enlistment' on Saturdays.
    Mike