Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Airshow Stuff: An Informal Survey of AAFO'ers

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
    Even if you took the airshow acts out of the schedule on Mon / Tuesday, that's not nearly enough time to have practice, qauls, and all race heats for all the classes.
    I wasn't suggesting to move all of the race activity to Monday and Tuesday.

I was suggesting to hold the major airshow acts only on Saturday and Sunday. It would still be a week long event, just shifted two days later. And instead of having the major airshow acts on 3 or 4 days, they would only be on Saturday and Sunday, with an emphasis on getting attendance from Reno locals and tourists. They would also get to see plenty of racing on the weekend, but it would be heat races and not the finals, which would be Tuesday.

Versus the way it works now, there would be a net gain in racing time and a net reduction in time spent on the major airshow acts.

Comment

Greetings:

Happy to see this discussion. Angels, Thunderbird and the like bring in folks that we need. ($) Having the planes at Stead does seem to burn up some precious time and at times unable to hear anything else. Was really annoyed this year when they parked the Patriots in front of us. But they did move the next day so I wasn't as pissed off. Don't understand why they parked there in the first place. I really think the folks come to watch the Jets fly so I could see argument to have them off site.

Comment

Thanks for the kinds words, all. To the extent I can share info, I'll continue to try to do so.

Try to answer a few things:

Red Arrows in North America Aug and Sept. Very limited engagement and I believe Reno is near the end of that timeline. Couple other shows I work have also thrown their hat in the ring as well. We'll see...

Interesting thought re: Monday and Tuesday for racing. Have to noodle that one a bit.

Let me drill into the over-flight of Reno stuff. Have a suspicion why it went away. Will advise.

Not sure what the origins were behind the Patriot parking but once brought to our attention, it was corrected on the spot and the team was very helpful in doing so. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Keep the ideas coming, folks. No bad one...and the only way an idea becomes a reality is if it's an idea first!
        Last edited by Air Boss; 12-03-2018, 03:41 PM.
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
          Thanks for the kinds words, all. To the extent I can share info, I'll continue to try to do so.

Try to answer a few things:

Red Arrows in North America Aug and Sept. Very limited engagement and I believe Reno is near the end of that timeline. Couple other shows I work have also thrown their hat in the ring as well. We'll see...

Interesting thought re: Monday and Tuesday for racing. Have to noodle that one a bit.

Let me drill into the over-flight of Reno stuff. Have a suspicion why it went away. Will advise.

Not sure what the origins were behind the Patriot parking but once brought to our attention, it was corrected on the spot and the team was very helpful in doing so. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Keep the ideas coming, folks. No bad one...and the only way an idea becomes a reality is if it's an idea first!
          I was thinking about the Arrows and already having the Thunderbirds seems like too much with the given time. Even though the Arrows could be a HUGE draw.... we shall see
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

My observation from a box seat is that when the Blues or T-Birds are there the stands are full. When their show is over the stands almost empty out. Without the stands are not full.

Comment

Last time the Blues were there, the support for fuel and other disposables was supplied by the local FBO. They made money (a good thing) and the blues stayed on site. Big pain in the keester for those involved but it worked. Until then I had no idea what it takes to support them for a show, the workload and numbers are staggering.
              Again I have a selfish reason for them not being on the ramp, my view of the course. I also feel that if they were in Reno the takeoffs, landings, etc. might increase interest, sort of like the flyover idea.
              My wife deals with a lot of locals in her home business and the comments run from shut it down its too noisy and unsafe, to those that go each and every day like myself. This year she actually advertised the fact that you could watch the planes fly over while having your swim lesson and she was booked solid. The biggest positive feedback has been for the Jet Teams and the military participation. The parents like the exposure to it for the kids (there seems to be a fair amount of military support and patriotism here) and the kids love it for the obvious reasons. It gets them out there.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
              X