Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airshow Stuff: An Informal Survey of AAFO'ers

Hey all,
    Question regarding the air show side of things at Reno. As you all are likely aware the USAF Thunderbirds are scheduled to appear in 2019.

On a scale of 1 (low importance) to 10 (high importance), how important is it that the Thunderbirds are stationed at KRTS so everyone can watch the ground show/walkdown/launch & recover, vice being stationed at KRNO and perform a "remote" show?

Just curious...I work shows that offer both scenarios with the Blues and the Birds so this is just me getting some feedback from folks who understand and appreciate aviation matters.

Many thanks in advance!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Re: Airshow Stuff: An Informal Survey of AAFO'ers

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
    Hey all,
    Question regarding the air show side of things at Reno. As you all are likely aware the USAF Thunderbirds are scheduled to appear in 2019.

On a scale of 1 (low importance) to 10 (high importance), how important is it that the Thunderbirds are stationed at KRTS so everyone can watch the ground show/walkdown/launch & recover, vice being stationed at KRNO and perform a "remote" show?

Just curious...I work shows that offer both scenarios with the Blues and the Birds so this is just me getting some feedback from folks who understand and appreciate aviation matters.

Many thanks in advance!
    This being said, I imagine it’s being discussed and I’m curious why that would be... BUT that also being said, it doesn’t affect me per se, I know there’s a good amount of people out there that like being close to the jets at all times. I go to Huntington Beach airshow and they’re offsite (obviously) and I actually really like it. I think the overhead entrance from behind the spectators to announce their arrival to the box is awesome. For Reno specifically, I think it would be great to have them offsite for... scheduling purposes? I forget if the Thunderbirds take up time during the schedule for ground stuff or if the races would still be run during the startup. Either way I would prefer them off site because I like to hear the races and the Thunderbirds startup would drown them out, or if they do take up time in the schedule it’s a good chunk that could be used for say unlimited bronze

*off topic but I would relay to RARA that getting the rumored F-35 DEMO team would be a smart idea... hehe, they owe us for dropping 2018
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 11-29-2018, 10:00 AM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

1 I wouldn't care either way about the ground show being onsite or not. If there were schedule benefits to being offsite, then I would prefer that simply for the logistics.
      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
        This being said, I imagine it’s being discussed and I’m curious why that would be... BUT that also being said, it doesn’t affect me per se, I know there’s a good amount of people out there that like being close to the jets at all times. I go to Huntington Beach airshow and they’re offsite (obviously) and I actually really like it. I think the overhead entrance from behind the spectators to announce their arrival to the box is awesome. For Reno specifically, I think it would be great to have them offsite for... scheduling purposes? I forget if the Thunderbirds take up time during the schedule for ground stuff or if the races would still be run during the startup. Either way I would prefer them off site because I like to hear the races and the Thunderbirds startup would drown them out, or if they do take up time in the schedule it’s a good chunk that could be used for say unlimited bronze

*off topic but I would relay to RARA that getting the rumored F-35 DEMO team would be a smart idea... hehe, they owe us for dropping 2018
        Thanks for the reply. Good points all around. While Reno is a very unique animal, the same dynamics apply in many respects. And the one constant...there's only so many minutes during the day to run the heats, races and incorporate an airshow as well. To answer your question, once the TBirds take the "ground" from the Air Boss, nothing else moves so no, there would not be any race aircraft on the course, in the queue, performing run-ups or anything else. The ground component of their demo typically takes around :30min, which is approx. the time required to run an UNL race, from launch to LROD.

Thanks again...always like to get feedback from folks who appreciate the dynamics and are able to express their thoughts in a constructive way. And I'll see what I can do about the F-35. ;-)
        Owen Ashurst

Comment

I'm on the fence, I could go either way. But like the others, if there stay here affects RARA scheduling/racing action I would rather have them fly in. That in itself is kinda of cool watching them arrive with a fly-by.

If they are off site a touch and go by one or two would be nice

Comment

No difference to me or my group. When the big flying acts go up we take advantage to use the SANIs, get food, walk about, etc.

Comment

Remote! The ground show eats up too much time, especially since the 'Birds tend to push the schedule.

Comment

I vote for the full show. An overhead entry can be thrilling, but so can be planes taking off in formation. Besides, it's part of the experience, not to mention an opportunity to recognize the efforts of the ground personnel. If I recall correctly, there are no planes in the air during past ground shows of the Tbirds or the Blues.

John

Comment

I’d rather see them off site. Another 30min on top of their forever show in the air is a total waste of time. I honestly would rather see military demos any day of the week. Jet teams are for the Weekend Wally air race fan and not the hardcores. I guess in my perfect scenario of them being there, they would fly in from Reno but land at Stead and be there for the kids to see up close. Maybe some autographs and photos with the kids type thing. Flying out of Reno might actually get some locals to head out to Stead once their kids see them flying over the city. It’s well known that most people that live here have zero interest in the races. You get the kids tugging on dad’s shirt to go out there and you might actually increase attendance. Have them do a couple laps around the city before heading to the show box. Has that ever been done?

That started off a little aggressive. Sorry.
                  Last edited by Fence Sence; 11-29-2018, 10:47 AM. Reason: Apologies for aggression.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Fence, Dawg, shadow, Race, all, thanks for chiming in. Great point all the way around. Yeah, it's a fact that the Reno crowd is unlike any other airshow crowd. It's always been a balancing act. Military acts (especially teams) put butts in the seats...and we all know what that means...$$$$. And, for the casual fan who attends mainly to see the teams, it does expose them to the racing action and hopefully the bug bites them like it has the rest of us!
                    Owen Ashurst

Comment

I would vote for off-site!
                      There is already enough jet-noise pollution interfering with the sweet music of the Wright's, P&W's and Merlin's; both live and on what is recorded.
                      Additionally, only a certain portion of the spectator area can really enjoy the pageantry of the ground-crew activities. Those of us who mostly hang-out in the pits are too far away to see that very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                        Fence, Dawg, shadow, Race, all, thanks for chiming in. Great point all the way around. Yeah, it's a fact that the Reno crowd is unlike any other airshow crowd. It's always been a balancing act. Military acts (especially teams) put butts in the seats...and we all know what that means...$$$$. And, for the casual fan who attends mainly to see the teams, it does expose them to the racing action and hopefully the bug bites them like it has the rest of us!
                        Now of course, they can bring the Fat Albert JATO take-off back, that was way cool

Comment

I like them onsite. I enjoy seeing the planes on the ramp. It adds to the pageantry of the event. You would also miss out on the anticipation of the show when you look down and see them start bustling around and you can turn to your kids and say "Here we go!"

Mostly, the Thunderbirds and the Blues are so iconic and the importance of the imagery of them sitting on the ramp can't be overstated. Remember, we're all race fans here, but if the demo team is attracting a more casual air show fan, what do you think they want to see sitting out on the ramp?

That's right, an F-35!

And the T-Birds.

Comment

Well, I give it a 10 as far as importance. I've seen the whole show from start to finish since the mid sixties and understand how much time it takes and the whole pre-flight thing is part of the show, but I also know how many people are drawn through the gates to see the jet teams. Anything that puts butts in the seats is fine with me.

Comment

Been pondering this again and reading everyone's points, wanted to offer a new view similar to what Fence was saying. I'm 100% for them being offsite. What I have felt the Races have been lacking is a more defined presence in the city of Reno. The presence is known a few miles around Stead, but other than a few billboards here and there, it's hard to know that the Races are even happening.

That being said, I think having the Thunderbirds at Reno/Tahoe would expand the race environment into the city of Reno. A few reasons why... Free advertising! As Fence said, the second the Thunderbirds take off from Int'l, their presence in Reno is known. Anyone driving down the freeway will wonder what's going on and might want to head up to Stead just because they saw the Thunderbirds in the air OVER RENO, not just Stead. Anyone taking off/ landing at Int'l over the 4-5 day period that they are on site will notice them and might want to head up to Stead to see what's going on.

Basically if the Thunderbirds are on site, they're 'advertising potential' is automatically just to the few square miles around Stead, most of who already are aware of the races occurring. Put them at Int'l, their presence is known throughout the city of Reno and then some

A side note, staying at the GSR and being able to see the Thunderbirds when I look out the window again solidifies the concept of Reno feeling like an Air Race town for the week, and I imagine others would feel the same. This is one of the reasons I've been trying to ship the idea of a sunset show on Friday/Saturday, just to make the weekend of the Races feel more prominent for everyone involved. Airventure does this very well
                              Last edited by GRNDP51; 11-29-2018, 11:44 AM.
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                              X