Airshow Stuff: An Informal Survey of AAFO'ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Airshow Stuff: An Informal Survey of AAFO'ers

As long as they don't interfere with the races onsite would be nice as the crowd would like to see the ground part including them entering the planes, startup & takeoff. Those that don't care about that part the time is good for Sani-Hut break, food & a cold one.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

I would like to respectfully disagree with GRNDP51. I can't believe seeing the Tbirds or Blues or any other jet team lifting off from KRNO would convince anyone driving by to change their plans to go see where they are going. But, I think he has a valid point about seeing cool planes overhead. If we really wanted to stir up anticipation for the races, how about a formation of Unlimiteds, Jets, Sports, Biplanes, and F1's doing a lap around town to announce the start race week? Maybe a well timed radio and tv announcement to go along with it too.

John

Comment

Exellent points, everyone. As you can see it's a mixed bag...thus my curiosity. It's what makes Reno so special and complex.

Agree that a significant percentage (or majority) of the crowd attends for the racing, with the understanding that it will be interrupted by an airshow from time to time.

And yes...during the airshow acts folks tend to be split. Some enjoy it and stay seated while others use that time to grab a dog and a suds and hit the Sani-hut.

Really appreciate the feedback, folks!
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I don't typically post much but I have to chime in here. The main thing I have noticed in the past with Thunderbird or Angels demo team is that they insist the entire airport is sterilized for about 2 hours or more. That's a very long time with little action while they do their turn over Sacramento or somewhere. It is also a big hole in the air race schedule. It is also a very long time to have a well meaning young guy screaming at you through the PA (my least favorite part).

My vote is to have them based offsite for main reason that it would shorten the overall duration of their show and keep the overall flow going. Things could immediately start to happen on the ground after the last pass. It would leave more time for air racing related activities.

I don't mean to sound harsh but i think in this case, less is better.

GP

Comment

Having either the Blues or T-Birds has always been "different" at RENO... traditionally, they are the closing act of any show they perform for... the rub within lies in the fact that RENO, primarily, is NOT an airshow. It's an airrace AND air show... I remember a situation a few years back where there was much conflict and hair pulling on this particular issue.

I would tend to agree with the sentiment that if it puts butts in seats, or forms a family tradition because folks really REALLY like that ground show... again, putting butts in seats..

That said, somewhat selfishly, they sure mess up media operations when they are there! LOL
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Keep 'em coming, folks. All good feedback.

In general, a TBird "Local" show requires about :75 of schedule time, a "Remote" show needs :45. Yes, Reno is just that, Wayne. It's an Air Race...that is "interrupted" from time to time by an air show! At least that's the sentiment of many who attend. Reno is not your father's air show, that's for sure.

It's what makes it so interesting and challenging.
              Owen Ashurst

Comment

Something that has bugged me for years is that when I mention that I attend RENO to anyone who has not been there, they all reply something like "oh yea, they have a big airshow there don't they" for some reason, just the word AirShow drives me nuts... LOL.. maybe, as others have told me, I'm just nuts all the time....
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  Something that has bugged me for years is that when I mention that I attend RENO to anyone who has not been there, they all reply something like "oh yea, they have a big airshow there don't they" for some reason, just the word AirShow drives me nuts... LOL.. maybe, as others have told me, I'm just nuts all the time....
                  Here that as well...or the always welcome, "Oh, that Red Bull thing, right?" I usually take those situations as an opportunity to educate and invite. Just tryin' to spread the gospel!
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

If there’s anyone that wouldn’t go to Reno because the Thunderbirds won’t have a ground show at Stead, they need to get their head straightened out
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Back in 2016 Blue Angel #7 blew a tire on arrival, which was late anyway, and blocked the active runway. At least -1- heat race had to be scrubbed as the result from the late arrival, let alone the blocked runway.

As long as they are not parked in front of the crowds like the Patriots were early in the week this year blocking the view of the Home Pylon from the lower rows of the GA Bleachers and some of the box seats.

They could at least do a slow speed circuit around the pylons........
                      Last edited by kennsmithf2g; 11-29-2018, 09:10 PM.
                      May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                        they sure mess up media operations when they are there!
                        I'll second that one, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by kennsmithf2g View Post
                          Back in 2016 Blue Angel #7 blew a tire on arrival, which was late anyway, and blocked the active runway. At least -1- heat race had to be scrubbed as the result from the late arrival, let alone the blocked runway.

As long as they are not parked in front of the crowds like the Patriots were early in the week this year blocking the view of the Home Pylon from the lower rows of the GA Bleachers and some of the box seats.

They could at least do a slow speed circuit around the pylons........
                          To be sure, the issues in 2016 were problematic from more than just a closed runway standpoint. Unfortunate but fortunately, an anomaly. Ramp space can be an issue and the Patriot issue was addressed promptly and without further incident. As for "running the pylons", that's highly unlikely....highly unlikely...as in a Trump/Clinton ticket in 2020 unlikely.
                          Owen Ashurst

Comment

I’ve never enjoyed the ground ops and usually take that as my signal to do something else.

I also had the same thought as a previous post. Having them launch and recover once per day from Reno is free advertising which is hard to miss. I actually know this from experience: I grew up several miles south of the Air Force Academy football stadium. Every home game aircraft will orbit over town then perform a flyby before the game. There is no ignoring the fact that kickoff is about to occur.
                            Same goes for the Thunderbirds who come once per year for graduation but fly out of Peterson AFB on the other side of town.

Comment

What I miss is back in the day, Virginia street was closed off and some of the older race planes were parked in the street for public viewing. Another thought for good advertising, would be having a permanent display in the airport terminal featuring an aircraft such as Me Awesome or some other interesting plane that will probably never raise its' gear in flight again.

It's nice in Port St Lucie

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                                I’d rather see them off site. Another 30min on top of their forever show in the air is a total waste of time. I honestly would rather see military demos any day of the week. Jet teams are for the Weekend Wally air race fan and not the hardcores. I guess in my perfect scenario of them being there, they would fly in from Reno but land at Stead and be there for the kids to see up close. Maybe some autographs and photos with the kids type thing. Flying out of Reno might actually get some locals to head out to Stead once their kids see them flying over the city. It’s well known that most people that live here have zero interest in the races. You get the kids tugging on dad’s shirt to go out there and you might actually increase attendance. Have them do a couple laps around the city before heading to the show box. Has that ever been done?

That started off a little aggressive. Sorry.
                                Owen, That being said, yes , they take an enormous amount of time that the event cannot afford as far as ramp time. With the engine runs that Nobody can taxi behind, the FOD walk which closes the ramp, and the Extreme sensitivity of the engines to debris (prompting the FOD walk) Too much time is needed to sterilize the area. The event is Too Dynamic to allow this. The Unlimiteds Always close the day and pushing back 1.2 hrs would be a hardship. Don't forget that they have 'Enlistment' on Saturdays.
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X