"Mr. Awesome" photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mr. Awesome" photographs

Does anyone have any in flight photographs of Mr. Awesome they would be willing to share? That airplane is one of my all time favorites.

Thanks!

Re: "Mr. Awesome" photographs

Shawn
    Attached Files

Comment

Just curious. Was Mr Awesome ever opened up, full throttle? What was the highest speed it obtained? Chec Mate had it's wings rebuilt, I believe due to flexing issues, were the wings on Mr Awesome strengthened?
      What pilots flew it and what did they think of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro View Post
        Shawn
        Thanks for sharing the photographs. Mr. Awesome looked like it could live up to it's name with that powerful engine!

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
          Just curious. Was Mr Awesome ever opened up, full throttle? What was the highest speed it obtained? Chec Mate had it's wings rebuilt, I believe due to flexing issues, were the wings on Mr Awesome strengthened?
          I'm not sure about the wings, but the pilots that flew it had little nice to say about it with the small tail. I'm not sure about its flight characteristics with the T33 tail on it however. If you search the site there has been a lot of discussion on this bird in the past.

Will

Comment

Neil Anderson, Skip Holm?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
              Never opened up, relatively slow, stock wing, Skip and Neil Anderson. Scared Skip with the original tail, Neil crashed it, never heard what anyone thought of it after the big tail was installed.

Comment

I have some. Pretty positive I have posted them here, but the previous hosting site seems to be dead now. Maybe they can be found with a search on my username?

Comment

Skip has offered his thoughts on Mr. Awesome on several occasions including this talk he gave in 2013 on all of the racers he's flown.

As anyone who's ever spoken with Skip knows, he's got a mischievous streak a mile wide and a great, deadpan delivery. You have to know enough to know when he's pulling your leg. But he's pretty straightforward here.. though funny.

He talks about Mr. Awesome roughly 38 minutes into the video.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI4TG1AGU6Y

Enjoy...

Comment

It is still registered as N190JF to the Texas Air and Space Museum. Maybe there is a chance it can still fly some day.
                    Random Air Blog

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	27657503_1680242215347220_2034909865264935342_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	229287
                      I went to Amarillo to visit relatives earlier this year. Folks at the museum said they only have the airplane because the owner promised it would never fly again. Probably a good thing, because everything I've read and seen indicates to me that it was a bad airplane.
                      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]24069[/ATTACH]
                        I went to Amarillo to visit relatives earlier this year. Folks at the museum said they only have the airplane because the owner promised it would never fly again. Probably a good thing, because everything I've read and seen indicates to me that it was a bad airplane.
                        That airplane has always had bad luck surrounding it. Its been rumored to have had an engine failure due to an unintentional bullet from some gang activity on Roscoe Blvd that somehow found it's way into way to the oil system as it sat in a hangar at Van Nuys. I have no idea whether or not any of that story is true.

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                          Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                          RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Randy,
                            Speaking of "Mr. Awesome", your dad was an awesome pilot, aviator and person. I fondly recall the great flying and racing we did. I always trusted Al! I consider it an honor to have been able to fly and race with him!
                            Happy New Year and best wishes.
                            Sincerely,
                            Randy
                            (Race 18 Thunderbolt)

Comment

Working...
                            X