XP-82 as a racer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

Why build a needlessly big, heavy, and complex design? Something small and light like Tsunami is the way forward.

Comment

I'd only entertain the twin engine configuration if working on a clean sheet unlimited and I were required to use a newer IC engine.
      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Don't forget the XP75 had 2 V12's & a contra rotating prop plus Allison built a V24 for it that didn't work out. The engines were behind the pilot. I got to see it fly at the Cleveland Airport.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

I didn't realize that was a V24.

That reminds me of the XB-42 which had two allisons that drove contra rotating pusher propellers. Set a speed record before crashing/getting shelved for jet aircraft.
          "young" Thomas

Comment

XP82 only has two extra intersections as compared to a conventional single and lacks the extra frontal area of a the central pod found on the P38 and XF11 but it does have the extra fuselage frontal area..........which also doubles the horsepower and prop area.

Since "unlimiteds" are "limited" to being over a certain weight, you might gain a small advantage but you will be carrying twice the fuel and twice the ADI by using two engines regardless of configuration............unless you use smaller displacement engines.
            Last edited by IcePaq; 11-27-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
              I didn't realize that was a V24.

That reminds me of the XB-42 which had two allisons that drove contra rotating pusher propellers. Set a speed record before crashing/getting shelved for jet aircraft.
              It wasn't a V-24. It was two Allison V-12s joined in a W configuration.

Comment

Never said it was, just reminded me of it (don't ask, it's just how my brain works). The drawings I had seen showed two separate drive shafts running the full length of the fuselage with gearboxes just before the spinner.

Last edited by CubersWrist; 11-27-2018, 02:36 PM.
                "young" Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                  Never said it was, just reminded me of it (don't ask, it's just how my brain works). The drawings I had seen showed two separate drive shafts running the full length of the fuselage with gearboxes just before the spinner.

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...pswv9bcjax.jpg
                  Yeah that was a different gearbox on the same engine. There was actually one of the twin shaft engine / gearbox setups on display at Reno a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    It wasn't a V-24. It was two Allison V-12s joined in a W configuration.

DB 603N for Heinkel P.1076 was to be "a normal" engine with new fuel and two stage super charger.

DB 603N (prototype with two-stage supercharger, C3 fuel)
                    Power (take-off): 3000PS (2958 hp, 2206 kW) at 3200 rpm at sea level
                    Power (max): 2570 PS (2762 hp, 2059 kW) at 3000 rpm at sea level
                    Continuous: 1930 PS (1904 hp, 1420 kW) at 2700 rpm at sea level

Comment

Does forward sweep work like sweep in general ?

Comment

Sorta. The forward sweep makes spanwise flow inward toward the fuselage rather than off the wingtip which reduces induced drag. But you got to avoid wing divergence and separation from the aircraft(kinda important). And then while avoiding that problem you need to keep the structure light otherwise you risk the extra weight countering the benefits of the spanwise flow.
                        "young" Thomas

Comment

Nice to see stuff from that treasure trove of information called "dtic.mil". The engine topics are full of almost forgotten research on engine performance.

Comment

On a twin the issue with forward swept wings is that the spanwise flow tends to suck any fluids, fumes, fire toward the cockpit from the engine pods. The Pond Racer had a problem with it and it contributed to it's end from what I have read.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I saw a video it flying on facebook; http://flytoanothertime.blogspot.com...st-flight.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
                                Yes it might be so...actually P-51H is the fastest piston plane in annals. In standard configuration.
                                Question: In standard trim, was the D.H Hornet faster?

Comment

Working...
                                X