Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: XP-82 as a racer ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FINLAND
    Posts
    86

    Default XP-82 as a racer ?

    This is amazing !

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQP0IHH3FTs

    How fast could it be ?

    It think it runs with Merlin engines like this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcKdK7hmEo
    Last edited by Gonzales_LOX; 11-08-2018 at 11:14 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

    Ah! The elusive F/P-82 racer dream....Leroy Penhall always thought that would be great. Several others joined in that belief. The fact of the matter is there has never been enough airframes available. So thankfully the extremely few that did exist were spared the modifications. The early P-82 used Packard built Merlin engines, later the P-82 used G6 series Allison engines.
    John
    John Slack

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FINLAND
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Ah! The elusive F/P-82 racer dream....Leroy Penhall always thought that would be great. Several others joined in that belief. The fact of the matter is there has never been enough airframes available. So thankfully the extremely few that did exist were spared the modifications. The early P-82 used Packard built Merlin engines, later the P-82 used G6 series Allison engines.
    John
    Yes John !



    Allison powered was 25 mph faster than D model Mustang.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...2_Twin_Mustang

    Making it 65% scale and two big block Chevys and you can tune 2000 hp out of it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rwYZJaFnkU

    Twin fuselage may have some advantages; https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...elage-aircraft
    Last edited by Gonzales_LOX; 11-09-2018 at 08:28 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Napa Ca
    Posts
    1,141

    Default Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzales_LOX View Post
    Yes John !

    Making it 65% scale and two big block Chevys and you can tune 2000 hp out of it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rwYZJaFnkU

    Twin fuselage may have some advantages; https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...elage-aircraft
    Automotive engines generally don't work well in aircraft applications. Especially ones with greater than a 60 degree V. (There is a reason Allison and Rolls Royce/Packard V12s are 60 degree Vs)

    I'm not saying a 65% scale P82 wouldn't be cool, but powering it might be tricky.

    Will

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FINLAND
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

    How about 70% and two Falconairs ?

  6. #6

    Default Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

    How about someone makes a center wing and tail section, and we stick Voodoo and Strega together? BOOM, instant 1000 mph piston powered prop driven airplane! opcorn:

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FINLAND
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
    How about someone makes a center wing and tail section, and we stick Voodoo and Strega together? BOOM, instant 1000 mph piston powered prop driven airplane! opcorn:
    If you look closely above...the P-82 has only 3 common pieces with P-51D. It is entirely new aircraft..in all aspect.

    Fuselage(s) is closer to H-model Mustang, but isn't.

  8. #8

    Default Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzales_LOX View Post
    If you look closely above...the P-82 has only 3 common pieces with P-51D. It is entirely new aircraft..in all aspect.

    Fuselage(s) is closer to H-model Mustang, but isn't.
    I'm not suggesting using Voodoo and Strega to make a P-82. I'm suggesting pairing them to build a perpetual motion machine, the likes the world has never seen before. Able to do the Kessel run in under 10 parsecs as each slicker than snot thoroughbred Super 'Stang rejects the laws of space time in its attempt to outrun the other that it's attached to

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    FINLAND
    Posts
    86

    Cool Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
    I'm not suggesting using Voodoo and Strega to make a P-82. I'm suggesting pairing them to build a perpetual motion machine, the likes the world has never seen before. Able to do the Kessel run in under 10 parsecs as each slicker than snot thoroughbred Super 'Stang rejects the laws of space time in its attempt to outrun the other that it's attached to
    Yes now I got it...might work !

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,764

    Default Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

    Sani???
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •