Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP-82 as a racer ?

This is amazing !

The North American XP-82 Twin Mustang has been one of the most highly anticipated warbird restorations in recent memory. After 10 years of perseverance and m...

How fast could it be ?

It think it runs with Merlin engines like this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcKdK7hmEo
    Last edited by Jukka; 11-08-2018, 11:14 PM.

Re: XP-82 as a racer ?

Ah! The elusive F/P-82 racer dream....Leroy Penhall always thought that would be great. Several others joined in that belief. The fact of the matter is there has never been enough airframes available. So thankfully the extremely few that did exist were spared the modifications. The early P-82 used Packard built Merlin engines, later the P-82 used G6 series Allison engines.
    John
    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
      Ah! The elusive F/P-82 racer dream....Leroy Penhall always thought that would be great. Several others joined in that belief. The fact of the matter is there has never been enough airframes available. So thankfully the extremely few that did exist were spared the modifications. The early P-82 used Packard built Merlin engines, later the P-82 used G6 series Allison engines.
      John
      Yes John !

Allison powered was 25 mph faster than D model Mustang.

Making it 65% scale and two big block Chevys and you can tune 2000 hp out of it.

Thank you Rod Bower for another great day in Visalia!First low pass, dive test to 250 MPH, fast decel stalls!!SO AWESOME!!!Report below.airplanes are coolFlt...

Twin fuselage may have some advantages; https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...elage-aircraft
      Last edited by Jukka; 11-09-2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzales_LOX View Post
        Yes John !

Making it 65% scale and two big block Chevys and you can tune 2000 hp out of it.

Thank you Rod Bower for another great day in Visalia!First low pass, dive test to 250 MPH, fast decel stalls!!SO AWESOME!!!Report below.airplanes are coolFlt...

Twin fuselage may have some advantages; https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...elage-aircraft
        Automotive engines generally don't work well in aircraft applications. Especially ones with greater than a 60 degree V. (There is a reason Allison and Rolls Royce/Packard V12s are 60 degree Vs)

I'm not saying a 65% scale P82 wouldn't be cool, but powering it might be tricky.

Will

Comment

How about 70% and two Falconairs ?

Comment

How about someone makes a center wing and tail section, and we stick Voodoo and Strega together? BOOM, instant 1000 mph piston powered prop driven airplane! opcorn:

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
              How about someone makes a center wing and tail section, and we stick Voodoo and Strega together? BOOM, instant 1000 mph piston powered prop driven airplane! opcorn:
              If you look closely above...the P-82 has only 3 common pieces with P-51D. It is entirely new aircraft..in all aspect.

Fuselage(s) is closer to H-model Mustang, but isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzales_LOX View Post
                If you look closely above...the P-82 has only 3 common pieces with P-51D. It is entirely new aircraft..in all aspect.

Fuselage(s) is closer to H-model Mustang, but isn't.
                I'm not suggesting using Voodoo and Strega to make a P-82. I'm suggesting pairing them to build a perpetual motion machine, the likes the world has never seen before. Able to do the Kessel run in under 10 parsecs as each slicker than snot thoroughbred Super 'Stang rejects the laws of space time in its attempt to outrun the other that it's attached to

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
                  I'm not suggesting using Voodoo and Strega to make a P-82. I'm suggesting pairing them to build a perpetual motion machine, the likes the world has never seen before. Able to do the Kessel run in under 10 parsecs as each slicker than snot thoroughbred Super 'Stang rejects the laws of space time in its attempt to outrun the other that it's attached to
                  Yes now I got it...might work !

Comment

Sani???
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      Sani???

Nooooooo! Don't say the "S" word. We don't want to relive that do we?

Comment

I was thinking the same thing!

Race 29
                        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I was thinking the insani....

At 4 minutes ...a thin wing in a prop plane.

Comment

The V12s are 60 degrees for the same reason that most V6s are 60 degrees. To get a v12 of 90 degrees to fire evenly, a bizarre crankshaft with split throws that weaken it would need to be used. 60 degrees makes for a much "narrower engine" as well which reduces frontal area.
                            Last edited by IcePaq; 11-19-2018, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aerojock View Post
                              Nooooooo! Don't say the "S" word. We don't want to relive that do we?
                              I actually remember that time fondly.. (not... dot dot dot… LOL) it was all part of the gaming of it all.. There was stuff coming from the real crew guys, then "we" had "Sani" LOL!!!

Sure it was pure Bullshark but.. I miss Sani and STILL to this day, with all my sleuthing I have yet to figure out just WHO Sani is!!

Best friends with DB Cooper???

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X