Cook Cleland Airport Then and Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cook Cleland Airport Then and Now

Yesterday was the Cleveland IPMS chapter show in Kirtland, which is right down the road from Willoughby. Cook operated his airport from the end of WWII until he was recalled back in to service for Korea. Today, only the hangar and part of the ramp remains. The airport property is an industrial area with many warehouses and manufacturing businesses. Since I was so close and the weather was perfect I thought I'd do some then and now photos of the hangar, as best as I could. This airport was a big part of the post war races and I doubt many who drive by every day know the history of this area.

Jim

cook5 by jim harley, on Flickr

cook4 by jim harley, on Flickr

Cook3 by jim harley, on Flickr

Cook2 by jim harley, on Flickr

Cook1 by jim harley, on Flickr

cook8 by jim harley, on Flickr

Re: Cook Cleland Airport Then and Now

That's pretty Kewl, thanks for sharing. I wonder if all those Corsairs belonged to Cook. If memory serves me correctly he owned 3 F2G's at one time. Any idea what the PBY's were doing there?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
      That's pretty Kewl, thanks for sharing. I wonder if all those Corsairs belonged to Cook. If memory serves me correctly he owned 3 F2G's at one time. Any idea what the PBY's were doing there?
      I'm sure those Corsairs were Cooks', I think I read he owned 5 at one point...the FG1, and the 4 F2Gs...I could be wrong so don't quote me . Rumor has it that the center section of his FG1-D 'Lucky Gallon' is in the basement of Walter Soplata's house in Newbury. The 3 PBYs were acquired by Cook and his partner, which I think was Dick Becker, with the idea of starting charter flights to Alaska. The expense and the advent of the Korean war nixed that idea. It is also worthy to note that the Goodyear racer "Estralita" was lost at this airport with its new owner at the controls during the last airshow held at the field in 1950. Google search Abandoned and Little known airfields in northeast ohio. You can easily get lost in that website looking at old airport locations.

Jim

Comment

Really enjoyed that, Jim. Well done, sir. Thanks for sharing a bit of our collective history.
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Harley909 View Post
          I'm sure those Corsairs were Cooks', I think I read he owned 5 at one point...the FG1, and the 4 F2Gs...I could be wrong so don't quote me . Rumor has it that the center section of his FG1-D 'Lucky Gallon' is in the basement of Walter Soplata's house in Newbury. The 3 PBYs were acquired by Cook and his partner, which I think was Dick Becker, with the idea of starting charter flights to Alaska. The expense and the advent of the Korean war nixed that idea. It is also worthy to note that the Goodyear racer "Estralita" was lost at this airport with its new owner at the controls during the last airshow held at the field in 1950. Google search Abandoned and Little known airfields in northeast ohio. You can easily get lost in that website looking at old airport locations.

Jim
          Thanks for that info. By the way, you're 100% correct about "Abandoned and Little Known Airfields. I've been a contributor to that site with some local historic info. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for going to the effort of before and after shots. Always interesting to me when you can see the changes.

Comment

Thanks! I'm glad you guys like these. I put a request in with the people that operate from the ramp at the IX Center at Cleveland Hopkins. In 70 years the ramp has not changed at all, so I'm hoping they let me out to take some then and nows of the 1946-49 ramp area. I live less 30 minutes from most of these locations. More to come!

Jim

Comment

As a teenager I worked for a banner towing outfit during the summer at the Cleveland Airport so when the Air Races started in 1946 I latched onto Jimmy DeSanto who had a P38. I have B&W photos I took in 1949.I didn't miss any of the Races 1946-1949.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Lockheed Bob,
                  Have you ever given thought to compiling you awesome picture collection (I have seen many) and your first-hand stories into something published? It would be a fascinating work.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                    As a teenager I worked for a banner towing outfit during the summer at the Cleveland Airport so when the Air Races started in 1946 I latched onto Jimmy DeSanto who had a P38. I have B&W photos I took in 1949.I didn't miss any of the Races 1946-1949.
                    Lockheed Bob, I don't know if I asked. Did you know Dave McIlvaine? He gave me this photo. I am told that that is Dave on the wing refueling Jimmy DeSanto's (standing) P38 at the races.

Kenn

https://photos.smugmug.com/Airplanes...38-d-dm-XL.jpg
                    Attached Files
                    May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Working...
                    X