Renegade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renegade

While browsing through old copies of EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT TECHNOLOGY magazine, I found an article on David Roses' Renegade. Why wouldn't this be a prime candidate for the Sport class racers at Reno?

Re: Renegade

Engine is 550cu-in so it should be legal in sport as best I can tell.
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Beautiful airplane, what's the current status of this project?

Comment

Photos anyone of "Renegade"?
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

There are two types of people in the world: participants and spectators. David Rose is certainly in the former category.
          "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Direct drive? Did i read that correctly?

Comment

David Rose passed away early last year, so none of these projects will ever see the light of day again.

Comment

Wasn't there a project called "Mach Buster"? I think it was at the races for display in the pits one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                  Wasn't there a project called "Mach Buster"? I think it was at the races for display in the pits one year.
                  Yes. Designed and built by Montage, but David Rose later purchased it. Just another in a long line of what ifs that had zero chance of success.

Comment

One thing to remember about all these pie in the sky 1000HP automotive boat anchor designs is that none of them have ever proven to make those power levels even for a few minutes. Not in cars, not in airplanes, not in boats. Short dyno runs, and drag racing, sure. The issue is heat rejection. I have spoken at length with someone involved in a Pike's Peak program that wants to take the record back from that electric VW prototype, and eventually the Nurburgring record. They have an LS based engine that can make 1500+ HP on the dyno. It can make that power for a few seconds. Turn it down to 1000HP and it can hold that for a little over a minute. Turn it down to 500HP and it can run all day. Doesn't matter how big the radiator is, or how much water they can move. At 1000HP the block and heads cannot reject enough heat to sustain huge power levels without getting hot. Even custom billet blocks retaining the LS architecture have failed them. Rose had a DRCE engine. DRCE stand for Drag Race Competition Engine. It was the NHAR GM Pro Stock engine for several years. You think a drag race specific engine is designed for long duration thermal efficiency?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                      One thing to remember about all these pie in the sky 1000HP automotive boat anchor designs is that none of them have ever proven to make those power levels even for a few minutes. Not in cars, not in airplanes, not in boats.
                      I make no beans that I'm probably the least knowledgeable airplane guy on this forum, but I do read a lot and the subject of auto-based hp potential is something of interest to me.

Steve Morris has been building engines for street legal hot rods for years, and he starts around 1,200 hp. One of his customers named Tom Bailey competes with a 3,500 hp Camaro that he drives X-country towing a trailer, prior to making multiple competitive runs without teardown.

You can read here about attempts to blow up a junkyard LS engine. The results are startling.

NASCAR runs 500 miles every weekend pushing 900 hp.

NHRA top fuel tops the 10k hp level. Admittedly, the TBO on those engines are less than 5 seconds, but a little interpolation would say that given all the above numbers it isn't hard to conceive of a 1,000 to 1,500 hp engine staying together long enough for 8 laps at Reno. I've been chatting with an aircraft designer with decades of auto aircraft installation experience and he has no qualms about reliably getting 1,000 hp from a LS based engine for his Sport Class design. He's far less confident in a PSRU that will turn it into thrust.
                      Last edited by TarDevil; 11-06-2018, 06:21 PM.

Comment

David Rose passed away early last year, so none of these projects will ever see the light of day again.
                        I'm curious, why they won't ever see the light of day? I assume the estate owns them now, so why wouldn't they sell them, if not now, somewhere down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                          I'm curious, why they won't ever see the light of day? I assume the estate owns them now, so why wouldn't they sell them, if not now, somewhere down the road.
                          Liability, and I doubt anyone wants them.

Comment

Liability, and I doubt anyone wants them.
                            Did Renegade ever fly?

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                              Did Renegade ever fly?
                              No. As far as I know, the only Rose design that ever flew was his biplane.

Comment

Working...
                              X