Broken Propeller Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Propeller Documentary

I know this subject can/does cause some angst amongst this group in particular and the air racing community as a whole. When I posted about this earlier this year there was a fair amount of comments on both sides of the issue. That's as it should be and I respect everyone's opinions. We all come at this with our own points of view and, for some of us more than others, from points of pain.

All that said, I wanted to provide a link to the documentary "Broken Propeller" which premiered at Reno during race week and is now available for purchase.

http://www.gypsymothproductions.com/...propeller.html

The procducer as agreed to donate 100% of all proceeds up to $50,000 to the Cherie Elvin Memorial Fund. Buy purchasing a DVD, your dollars go entirely to a fund established to award scholorships to those seeking registered nursing education. A worthy cause in honor of those lost.

I've not viewed the film myself (was invited to the premier during race week but my schedule just didn't permit it), but I do intend to purchase. I hope you will consider that as well. If not, I certainly understand and respect that position.

Hope everyone is enjoying the early stages of the "off season." Stay safe, folks.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Re: Broken Propeller Documentary

I just finished watching this documentary. Was it hard to watch? Yes. But, the stories of the first responders- from pros to walking-wounded fellow fans- to the ambulance crews to the trauma doctors and nurses to the physical and mental therapists helping both the wounded AND their care givers long after the event are gut-wrenching but so very admirable. The incredible (very) extended behind-the-scenes Reno family members who respond to such a disaster is something most people probably do not think about. The story of the family that is the focus of the documentary is heartbreaking but the way they are handling their fate is heartwarming and sets the standard for others.

The fact that these surviving fans keep returning to the air races is unbelievable to me. Reno fans truly are special and unique among sports spectators and the trauma capability in the Reno area is extremely well organized and capable. The importance of the air races to the extended family was also something that is emphasized.

Steve Hill
    Crew Chief, Nemesis Air Racing

Comment

Re: Broken Propeller Documentary

Originally posted by Carbonprop View Post
      I just finished watching this documentary. Was it hard to watch? Yes. But, the stories of the first responders- from pros to walking-wounded fellow fans- to the ambulance crews to the trauma doctors and nurses to the physical and mental therapists helping both the wounded AND their care givers long after the event are gut-wrenching but so very admirable. The incredible (very) extended behind-the-scenes Reno family members who respond to such a disaster is something most people probably do not think about. The story of the family that is the focus of the documentary is heartbreaking but the way they are handling their fate is heartwarming and sets the standard for others.

The fact that these surviving fans keep returning to the air races is unbelievable to me. Reno fans truly are special and unique among sports spectators and the trauma capability in the Reno area is extremely well organized and capable. The importance of the air races to the extended family was also something that is emphasized.

Steve Hill
      Crew Chief, Nemesis Air Racing
      Well said, Steve. Well said, indeed. I've not purchased the DVD yet but intend to do so this week. It's important to remember and refresh the memory. To your point, painful...no doubt. Enlightening...without question. In the larger picture, seems logical to conclude the greater Reno area citizenry can rest assured their first responders and care givers are highly-trained and well-prepared professionals. And to some degree, that can be owed to the tragic events of September 2011. I, for one, believe that if a community or a society can gleen something positive out of events of this magnitude, we honor those lost and keep their presence around us. Lest we forget...
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
      X