Air Race patch provinance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Race patch provinance

Okay, several members on this site always seem to complain about stuff that bypasses AAFO and goes to Facebook instead. So I'll give some of the old timers here a chance to pipe in on this...BEFORE it goes there.

1976 was the first year that the Reno 'patch' had the date on it. Prior to that, they were different shapes and colors, but there was no date marking for what year it was sold.

The 1975 patch was a red shield with gold piping and letters. The 1974 patch was a navy blue shield with gold piping and letters.

Prior to that there were two patches that were something of a 'rounded square'. One was black with gold trim, the other was dark blue with gold trim. My guess is those were 'early 70's' issues.

There is a somewhat 'triangular' patch--white with red and black--that has the original logo inside of it. And then there is the round white patch that has black border and orange lettering/detail--I am pretty sure that this is the 'original' issue from the first couple of years, perhaps 1964-66 or so...and that there is a large and small version of it.

Then there is the wildcard that doesn't match up with any others. It is a more modern (my guess is 1980s?) patch, but most of the patches of that era were a rectangular shield, and there were usually large and small versions...large had the date, small one didn't, but they otherwise same shape and color combination.

Anyone have ideas?
    Attached Files

Re: Air Race patch provinance

There is also another patch exactly like the oval one with blue trim...…………...only difference is yellow trim.

Not sure of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      Okay, several members on this site always seem to complain about stuff that bypasses AAFO and goes to Facebook instead. So I'll give some of the old timers here a chance to pipe in on this...BEFORE it goes there.

1976 was the first year that the Reno 'patch' had the date on it. Prior to that, they were different shapes and colors, but there was no date marking for what year it was sold.

The 1975 patch was a red shield with gold piping and letters. The 1974 patch was a navy blue shield with gold piping and letters.

Prior to that there were two patches that were something of a 'rounded square'. One was black with gold trim, the other was dark blue with gold trim. My guess is those were 'early 70's' issues.

There is a somewhat 'triangular' patch--white with red and black--that has the original logo inside of it. And then there is the round white patch that has black border and orange lettering/detail--I am pretty sure that this is the 'original' issue from the first couple of years, perhaps 1964-66 or so...and that there is a large and small version of it.

Then there is the wildcard that doesn't match up with any others. It is a more modern (my guess is 1980s?) patch, but most of the patches of that era were a rectangular shield, and there were usually large and small versions...large had the date, small one didn't, but they otherwise same shape and color combination.

Anyone have ideas?
      I think I have almost all of those. Possibly even ALL of those. I knew a guy that had a lot of patches from several air races.
      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
        I knew a guy....
        Is there anybody that you DON'T know?

Comment

Working...
        X