Sylvia Sweeney.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sylvia Sweeney.

There was a period of Air Racing history back in the 1980s when by far the best reporting of Races was in a publication called the NAG Rag -- put out by the National Air racing Group in the Bay Area. As wll as Reno, there was even detailed coverage with photographs of the races in Miami, Moose Jaw and Bakersfield -- pretty much the only reporting on those events. The author was a lady named Sylvia Sweeney. She and her husband Jack were extremely influential in the Racing scene in those years. They were crew and sometimes sponsors for John Crocker, and deeply involved in training and deploying officiating and timing crews for IF1 races across the country.

Silvia Sweeney has passed away, Jack is still going at 94 years old, but apparently hard hit by Sylvia's passing.

So more of thae old guard are moving on.

Neal Nurmi

Re: Sylvia Sweeney.

I was on the crew for Dan Martin in 1979 and we shared the pit with the "Sumpthin Else" team.
    I remember Sylvia jumping around overwhelmed and almost passing out as John Crocker crossed home pylon winning the Gold Race. And the "We Won" that they put on their motor-home with vynil letters.

The Sweeny's were the main motivation behind NAG changing from the North-West Area Group of the Professional Race Pilots Assoc.(PRPA) and becoming its own organization National Air-racing Group - along with Frank Ronco, Don Ryder, ect
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

I remember meeting Sylvia at NAG meetings in Alameda/Oakland. Always a very nice lady and a great promoter and fan of air racing.

Comment

Blue Skies Sylvia Thoughts & Prayers to family & friends. She has always promoted the Air Races.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
          There was a period of Air Racing history back in the 1980s when by far the best reporting of Races was in a publication called the NAG Rag -- put out by the National Air racing Group in the Bay Area. As wll as Reno, there was even detailed coverage with photographs of the races in Miami, Moose Jaw and Bakersfield -- pretty much the only reporting on those events. The author was a lady named Sylvia Sweeney. She and her husband Jack were extremely influential in the Racing scene in those years. They were crew and sometimes sponsors for John Crocker, and deeply involved in training and deploying officiating and timing crews for IF1 races across the country.

Silvia Sweeney has passed away, Jack is still going at 94 years old, but apparently hard hit by Sylvia's passing.

Neal Nurmi

wow i am very shocked she was very good friend of the family

Comment

When did she passed away i found her Obitury and it said July 31

Shawn

Comment

The NAG Rag certainly did cover a lot of ground. But it didn't provide the only coverage of events like Miami, Moosejaw, Bakersfield, etc.

Nevertheless, Blue Skies Sylvia...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post

Neal Nurmi
                Evening Neal,

Really sorry to hear of Silvia's passing she was the tops.

I have a lot of fond memories of her and Jack when I first started going to Reno and my early days working with Bob Love, Jack Hovey, Mike Bogue, Ted, Wayne and of course yourself. As a song verse goes :"those were the good times"

I saw her last at one of the POF's Taste of Flight Galas at Chino, but that was a few years ago. Wow has the time passed quickly.

No longer to I visit this sight and rarely do I sign in any more, but I will check for a few days to see your response. Take care Neal.

I miss her and always will.

Take care,

Warbird Willie

Comment

I am sorry to report that Jack Sweeney passed away in late 2018, a few months after his wife Sylvia. As noted, Jack and Sylvia were principles in the transformation of NAG from a regional chapter of USARA to a national organization. Jack was a past Unlimited Division president and also sat on the NAA contest board. Their behind-the-scenes contributions to Air Racing were extensive and far reaching. Jack and Sylvia Sweeney have left a lasting impression on Air Racing and will be missed.

Comment

I remember Jack passing out timing sheets in the pits. The heart and soul of air racing. RIP Jack and thank you.

Comment

Was not privledged to have known Jack or Sylvia but anytime we lose folks like these two it's a loss to the entire air racing family. RIP to you both.

Curious if there is a relationship between Jack and Sylvia and the "Sweeney" family that has manned Outer 8 for well over three generations.

Regardless, it is most assuredly a loss to this community.

Heavy sigh...
                      Owen Ashurst
                      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Blue Skies to Jack. He will now be with Sylvia forever.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

my dad had me scans some negs last night this one was in there Jack was always on the ramp doing something.

Jack and Sylivia were always kind to my familly

Shawn
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X