Reno Air Race Warbird Class Ideas and Prize Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno Air Race Warbird Class Ideas and Prize Money

True it's not a copy and paste, and sound is a draw for a lot of people. But it's pretty common to find the comment that the jets are fast but don't sound good. And it's also to find the comment that the jet speed limit is stupid.

If sound doesn't matter and the speed limit is stupid, then you can kill both issues by going to a remote location and doing a kick-butt livestream. And if this were developed into a working format, then there is no reason it couldn't work for all the classes.
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

The sound is definitely a draw for me, and the jets don't really provide that.

But I also like great racing. I was really looking forward to the jets this year because I wanted to see Just Lucky challenge American Spirit. For much of the week, it looked like it might happen, but the Sunday gold race was a disappointment in that regard.

As for the idea of having races in a very remote area, with the emphasis a screen based audience, that's a non-starter for me. I enjoy racing as a visceral experience, which I don't get at all watching on a screen.

Actually, I might still go to the races if they were truly out in the middle of nowhere. My main hobby is astrophotography. I've got a motorhome and portable imaging observatory that I take to harsh, high desert environments for a cumulative three weeks each summer. I'm fully set up for dry camping for extended periods, and this would just be another week of that.

Comment

Supersonic jet races up at Black Rock!

Comment

Does the unlimited class have a website?
          "young" Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
            I doubt it.

Comment

...Okay....I’ve worked on a couple websites. I’ll offer my services
              Last edited by CubersWrist; 09-30-2018, 01:42 PM.
              "young" Thomas

Comment

They do not.

Comment

Unlimiteds are starting to come up in the sport thread so I figured it was worth reviving this thread rather than starting another one.

The unlimiteds still do not have a website or an official facebook page. I offered my services and didn't hear back...

There was the idea of merging sport with the unlimited or making an unlimited-sport.
                  My problem with that is you only gain the airplanes that are too slow for the unlimiteds and/or too many CI for Sport. The only planes I could think of in this category are T-28s and Gumbo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gumbo1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	229434Click image for larger version

Name:	gumbo2.jpg
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	229435Click image for larger version

Name:	gumbo3.jpg
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	229436
                  Sadly the builder (who had a cool thread on homebuiltairplanes.com which has since been deleted) passed away a few years ago.
                  Last edited by CubersWrist; 07-19-2019, 09:27 AM.
                  "young" Thomas

Comment

Unlimiteds are starting to come up in the sport thread so I figured it was worth reviving this thread rather than starting another one.

The unlimiteds still do not have a website or an official facebook page. I offered my services and didn't hear back...

There was the idea of merging sport with the unlimited or making an unlimited-sport.
                    My problem with that is you only gain the airplanes that are too slow for the unlimiteds and/or too many CI for Sport. The only planes I could think of in this category are T-28s and Gumbo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24285[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24286[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24287[/ATTACH]
                    Sadly the builder (who had a cool thread on homebuiltairplanes.com which has since been deleted) passed away a few years ago.
                    Cessnateur is obsessed with that thing. Really cool, really sketchy
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Looks really cool but scary at the same time. Vmc has to be way up there. Losing an engine around a pylon could be more than enough excitement.

Can't see it having enough speed to compete.

Anybody know what that wing is from?

GP

Comment

I don't see it being very fast either, doubt it would be above 400. Would have looked good flying next to Pond Racer. No idea where the wing came from.

The only "fast" (ie 420mph+) twin configuration I like is a tandem push-pull like the Do-335. You get a twin engine without all the extra drag of a second nacelle. That does introduce a ton of other safety/weight factors, but that's for another thread.

Since the turbo props get shot down could try to find someone to re-engine a Super Tucano or something...

Also if the flat earther rocket dude can get sponsored, surely an unlimited team can land some sponsorship
                        Last edited by CubersWrist; 08-13-2019, 08:12 AM.
                        "young" Thomas

Comment

Working...
                        X