Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Could the speed of sound be broken with electric AC ?

Default Re: Could the speed of sound be broken with electric AC ?

OK, so don't call them flying cars, actually only a couple of the ones that are flying now actually have a road capability. Flying thingys is more like it, battery powered, VTOL, man carrying drones or whatever, they are testing them as taxis in New Zealand and China where as usual they are way ahead of us. Check out the Kittyhawk Cora or the Ehang 184 on you tube. Air racing used to be about the cutting edge, maybe it should be again. These things are smaller than a helicopter and can be flown autonomously or ground controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    Airplanes make terrible cars, cars make terrible airplanes. I still don't understand why people still think flying cars are even remotely a good idea.

I would hate to think that some people actually live in a pseudo reality...which is made on pure sci-fi without a touch of reality.

In that atmosphrere it would be easy sell "flying cars" etc ???

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzales_LOX View Post
    I would hate to think that some people actually live in a pseudo reality...which is made on pure sci-fi without a touch of reality.

In that atmosphere it would be easy sell "flying cars" etc ???
    If all you need is your plane to be able to drive, with the prop. stationary (for safety) a short distance, I see no problem.
    In the coming years hybrid aircraft with maybe a gas turbine or ic engine powering the props by electric motors might make sense. If you have that it is no difficulty to have small electric motors powering the wheels. Folding wings will make this vehicle more suitable for use with other traffic. Even without the aircraft being a hybrid , it should be possible to have a battery for a short road trip.
    I dont see this being used in cities but in small rural towns it makes a lot of sense. It even makes sense on a large airport getting from your distant hanger to the runway as quickly and safely as possible when pedestrians are a real possibility.

I would go after a flying motorcycle rather than a flying car. Energy density of a battery is just 1/40 of gasoline.

I worked for one of the sillycon valley flying things companies and at the time I thought that they were way short on energy density for their storage systems (batteries). IN the last year at least 4 flying thingys have flown with pilots and in at least one case-a passenger. The future of air racing is not about how many museum pieces can make it to Reno, the future is about radical new ideas proving themselves on a race course with other flying thingys.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr1V-r2YxME.

I'd be scared to drive my "flying car/thingy" on the road. Have you seen how people drive these days? One bad driver is all it takes and now you've lost both your car and your airplane.
    "young" Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    I'd be scared to drive my "flying car/thingy" on the road. Have you seen how people drive these days? One bad driver is all it takes and now you've lost both your car and your airplane.
    I agree with you that trying to join the morning commute on city roads would be asking for trouble. Ideally you would land vertically at the heliport on top of your workplace. If your craft is not VTOL you would land at the nearest runway and catch a taxi or bus if the journey is more than a couple of miles in an open country area. The flying car is best for the first part of the trip when you drive from your house to the nearest place safe to takeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbourne View Post
    I agree with you that trying to join the morning commute on city roads would be asking for trouble. Ideally you would land vertically at the heliport on top of your workplace. If your craft is not VTOL you would land at the nearest runway and catch a taxi or bus if the journey is more than a couple of miles in an open country area. The flying car is best for the first part of the trip when you drive from your house to the nearest place safe to takeoff.
    I figure the infrastructure would have to allow landing spots on roofs if the "flying VTOL car" becomes mainstay.

If you wanna go electric you ought to concentrate on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_JN-4

Jenny 2 hr range and 60 mph speed is very doable with electric today.

Jenny engine weighed 177 kg and produced 90 hp...but weighed ( the whole contraption ) 630 kg.

You can get 90 hp power outa 15 kg electric engine.

You only need 40 hp to get two outa ground.

Peter is an inspiration to us all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFTnbrG09Vc