Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the speed of sound be broken with electric AC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could the speed of sound be broken with electric AC ?

deleted...wrong link
    Last edited by Jukka; 10-02-2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Even better idea. Bring in the flying cars. Get the billionaires and their pet flying car projects to come out and race their fantasies around the formula one course. Bring out the Ehang, the Cora, the Blackfly and prove that these things can fly together in a crowded airspace LOL. Allow electric and electric with generator flying carpets to do a vertical takeoff and fly the course a couple of times and land in a designated landing zone to represent a flying car parking space. I would definitely pay to see this. Get some of them to put up prize money like they did in the old days of early flight.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapskater View Post
        Even better idea. Bring in the flying cars. Get the billionaires and their pet flying car projects to come out and race their fantasies around the formula one course. Bring out the Ehang, the Cora, the Blackfly and prove that these things can fly together in a crowded airspace LOL. Allow electric and electric with generator flying carpets to do a vertical takeoff and fly the course a couple of times and land in a designated landing zone to represent a flying car parking space. I would definitely pay to see this. Get some of them to put up prize money like they did in the old days of early flight.
        They should have a section after they have landed where they have to drive 20 miles ( I think it would be dangerous the other way round as a rushed assembly might cause a crash), so the result will show both their flight ability plus on road capability and how quick they can transform. The whole aircraft has to reach the finish line ie nothing can be left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapskater View Post

Frankly I don't believe in flying cars. I think they are an oxymoron.

OTOH I think we could have switched into really effective electric flying about a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzales_LOX View Post
            Frankly I don't believe in flying cars. I think they are an oxymoron.

OTOH I think we could have switched into really effective electric flying about a decade ago.
            There is some need for flying cars when visiting small unmanned airstrips where getting a taxi is impossible. You might have to drive into town to meet customers, buy petrol for your aircraft or to find food and accommodation. It is also nice to keep the vehicle at home ,so you dont have to pay hangarage and parking fees after having driven to the airfield.
            If used as transport you probably want the car to fly at a high speed (otherwise you might as well drive) but it has the advantage, crossing mountains, lakes, sea's and rivers where there are no roads.

This flying car using a parachute travelled from London to Timbuktu in Africa

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Originally posted by Colbourne View Post
              There is some need for flying cars when visiting small unmanned airstrips where getting a taxi is impossible. You might have to drive into town to meet customers, buy petrol for your aircraft or to find food and accommodation. It is also nice to keep the vehicle at home ,so you dont have to pay hangarage and parking fees after having driven to the airfield.
              If used as transport you probably want the car to fly at a high speed (otherwise you might as well drive) but it has the advantage, crossing mountains, lakes, sea's and rivers where there are no roads.

This flying car using a parachute travelled from London to Timbuktu in Africa

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7821979.stm
              Obviously you have very good points.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I don't see how you leave with 20 m spanning paraglider from your garage to work.

Comment

Obviously you have very good points.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I don't see how you leave with 20 m spanning paraglider from your garage to work.
                In Australia it is quite common to take off and land on roads in country areas. I cant see this happening in the standard suburb , but there is a growing number of flight parks in the USA and Australia (and I presume else where) where people live around a runway.
                I always try to go to the flying car talks at Oshkosh (its where you find the real nutters), but then I thought that about the private manned space craft workshops (and now they are probably going to Mars within the next ten years).
                There will need to be a range of flying cars as everyone has their own needs. Most needs can be met by a helicopter and a taxi. To travel faster than this would require more than a car with a rotor or a parachute. I expect most people would be happy with an aircraft that can carry a light car for the final part of the journey, keeping the cost to a minimum is the difficulty.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol_170_Freighter_32_of_Silver_City_Airways (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	229113

Comment

Originally posted by Colbourne View Post
                  In Australia it is quite common to take off and land on roads in country areas. I cant see this happening in the standard suburb , but there is a growing number of flight parks in the USA and Australia (and I presume else where) where people live around a runway.
                  I always try to go to the flying car talks at Oshkosh (its where you find the real nutters), but then I thought that about the private manned space craft workshops (and now they are probably going to Mars within the next ten years).
                  There will need to be a range of flying cars as everyone has their own needs. Most needs can be met by a helicopter and a taxi. To travel faster than this would require more than a car with a rotor or a parachute. I expect most people would be happy with an aircraft that can carry a light car for the final part of the journey, keeping the cost to a minimum is the difficulty.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]23860[/ATTACH]
                  I agree the cost...and need for such a vehicle.

IMHO the carrier borne fighters could show the way...folding wintips....and a three wheeler carlike short ( stubby ? ) aeroplane might just go 50-60 km/h in a road mode....and able to take off and land.

Maybe a PART 103 like superlight aeroplane could also move in the streets handily...but the power/thrust has to be prop...like in a switch blade...or does it use car transmission ? There comes the cost.

I had a radio controlled car that utilized propellor for thrust. There has to be a cover so that no one accidently gets decapitated.
                  Last edited by Jukka; 10-02-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

For some reason these don't advance in sales; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHHX_L4mUB4

Comment

Airplanes make terrible cars, cars make terrible airplanes. I still don't understand why people still think flying cars are even remotely a good idea.

Comment

OK, so don't call them flying cars, actually only a couple of the ones that are flying now actually have a road capability. Flying thingys is more like it, battery powered, VTOL, man carrying drones or whatever, they are testing them as taxis in New Zealand and China where as usual they are way ahead of us. Check out the Kittyhawk Cora or the Ehang 184 on you tube. Air racing used to be about the cutting edge, maybe it should be again. These things are smaller than a helicopter and can be flown autonomously or ground controlled.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                          Airplanes make terrible cars, cars make terrible airplanes. I still don't understand why people still think flying cars are even remotely a good idea.

I would hate to think that some people actually live in a pseudo reality...which is made on pure sci-fi without a touch of reality.

In that atmosphrere it would be easy sell "flying cars" etc ???

Comment

I would hate to think that some people actually live in a pseudo reality...which is made on pure sci-fi without a touch of reality.

In that atmosphere it would be easy sell "flying cars" etc ???
                            If all you need is your plane to be able to drive, with the prop. stationary (for safety) a short distance, I see no problem.
                            In the coming years hybrid aircraft with maybe a gas turbine or ic engine powering the props by electric motors might make sense. If you have that it is no difficulty to have small electric motors powering the wheels. Folding wings will make this vehicle more suitable for use with other traffic. Even without the aircraft being a hybrid , it should be possible to have a battery for a short road trip.
                            I dont see this being used in cities but in small rural towns it makes a lot of sense. It even makes sense on a large airport getting from your distant hanger to the runway as quickly and safely as possible when pedestrians are a real possibility.

Comment

I would go after a flying motorcycle rather than a flying car. Energy density of a battery is just 1/40 of gasoline.

Comment

I worked for one of the sillycon valley flying things companies and at the time I thought that they were way short on energy density for their storage systems (batteries). IN the last year at least 4 flying thingys have flown with pilots and in at least one case-a passenger. The future of air racing is not about how many museum pieces can make it to Reno, the future is about radical new ideas proving themselves on a race course with other flying thingys.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr1V-r2YxME.

Comment

Working...
                                X