Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the speed of sound be broken with electric AC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could the speed of sound be broken with electric AC ?

Not that I know of.
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzales_LOX View Post
      Has there ever been a flying wing type of air racer ?
      Flying wing do not lend themselves to the low altitudes and high angle of attack / high G turns that are required for air racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich W View Post
        All I can think of when reading this topic is this -

Rich
        As a child I really enjoyed playing with round the pole electrics. I was using really cheap 3V motors (Mabuchi RE-280SA-2865 I think )(30cents each) and put about 48V down the lines. Cooling holes I cut in the case really helped preserve the brushes. I totally blew away the competition who were using $20 motors when I turned up at model exhibition where they were flying. My speed models ended up with wings cut from ice cream containers and a spruce fuselage.
        It was also a way to give life to the built up construction scale models originally designed for rubber power.
        I would like to go back and try with brushless motors where the motors can survive much longer.
        Last edited by Colbourne; 09-25-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

This solar powered aircraft with 14 electric motors ( 2hp each) is able to fly at 170mph at altitude.

The Zephyr uses 2 electric motors of 0.6 hp each and is able to fly at over 200mph at altitude.

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
            Just saw your more in depth explanation. I retract the laugh. Sorry, been working for years to break 400 at Reno, and I forgot that you had specified at higher altitudes. It is a good point that electric motors don't need oxygen to breath/work, which Ben Rich said was a big design point on the U-2.

So if you're going to build an all-out record breaking speed machine, then I say anything is possible with $$$. With all the complexity with the size and solar panels and detaching components, I don't see the next generation of airliner, but I do see a technology demonstrator or a speed record setter. Not sure what the rules are on breaking records, but with all the complexity this would take, it sounds simpler if you could get a tow/ride closer to altitude.
            I do believe an electric aircraft could reach 500mph at Reno's altitude, although for how long will depend on the state of battery technology. Imagine an aircraft similar to the Mustang built of carbon fibre with improved aerodynamics. Similar flying weight but 80% of that being batteries. 4000kW motor. The Mustang has a weight of about 4000kg , so that would be a battery of about 3200kg. Batteries are currently around 250 Wh/kg so this equates to about 12minutes of full power usage. (if my off the cuff calculations are correct).
            What is the flying weight of Strega and its hp ?

"Bosch’s battery company, Seeo, claims to have developed prototype batteries with an energy density of 350 Wh/kg (watt-hour per kilogram). In comparison, the Panasonic 18650 cells that Tesla uses have an energy density of just 254 Wh/kg. "

"Two potential alternatives are sodium ion-based and possibly sodium metal-based batteries, which have higher energy densities than lithium ion batteries. One such prototype battery has demonstrated 650Wh/kg of energy density,"
            Last edited by Colbourne; 09-25-2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              Flying wing do not lend themselves to the low altitudes and high angle of attack / high G turns that are required for air racing.

Look cool though; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pBxqUG4cfk

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzales_LOX View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	300px-Miller-Bohannan_JM-2_Special_N189BB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	229106

Bohannan entered the aircraft in the Reno Air Races in 1994, qualifying in third place in the Formula One class, with a speed of 236.153 mph (380.051 km/h).[1]

In 1995 Bohannan flew the aircraft to second place in the Formula One Gold championship race at Reno, Nevada.[1]
                Last edited by Colbourne; 09-26-2018, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Late Paul McCready developed fully solar power airplanes....with 10% efficienct panels.

Now they have 3 x the efficiency.

Are we missing something ?
                  Last edited by Jukka; 09-26-2018, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Delta DYKE is a flying wing.

A brief look at the JD-2 Dyke Delta N1261B. Robert Clarkrclark0884@gmail.comSpring, Texas

Comment

NASA is researching the flying wing. Also the blended wing is coming.

Here Albion Bowers and the Mars conquering flying wing; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-dk1NpVNNI

I still wonder how come the flying wing hasn't taken the scene yet.

I think there is an answer. Something hasn't been discovered yet.

It must relate to stability at different flight patterns.

Comment

FPVWRA (wing racing association) is all wings. I raced in Spec class this year and it was a lot of fun at 70mph. The Sport class gets up to 120mph. I think the wings are used because the foam is really easy to cut and build and it's easy to put the prop in the back so the propeller doesn't puncture the inflatable pylons.

I did talk to one of the guys spearheading the BSLD (bell shaped lift distribution) for wings and he said there are very particular conditions where wings are better than standard aircraft, and he didn't think racing was one.
                        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                          FPVWRA (wing racing association) is all wings. I raced in Spec class this year and it was a lot of fun at 70mph. The Sport class gets up to 120mph. I think the wings are used because the foam is really easy to cut and build and it's easy to put the prop in the back so the propeller doesn't puncture the inflatable pylons.

I did talk to one of the guys spearheading the BSLD (bell shaped lift distribution) for wings and he said there are very particular conditions where wings are better than standard aircraft, and he didn't think racing was one.

Looks interesting; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq41na-yhsE

Comment

How about this...420 km/h on electric.

Model: Speed Nuri DiaboloAccu: 10s LipoMotor: 800KvFolding Propeller: 8x16 CarbonCenterpiece: 28mmMax Speed: 420 KMH 261 MPH

Comment

Delta wing is clean.

Here Avro Vulcan B1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTEvT-SV6Y0

Here B2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkWO5zVPz4g

Comment

Sorry C2 and original in films; https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Planforms.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X